'61 cj5 problem. Please help

chris61

Was driving fine. Died while driving. Wheels spin freely but can't turn engine manually. What is the problem? I was able to push it forward while in gear.. Don't know where to start.. Considering an easy engine swap. Was pointed toward 350 small block but don't want to change transmission if possible. Other suggestions?

Sorry to hear the power plant failed on your trusty CJ , that's my favorite jeep and It hurts to hear . I know that soon our more experienced CJ owners will be all over this thread to offer help but I've a feeling a 2.5 from a later year CJ will be the best option. My only personal question is , since your jeep is a '61 , will the existing bell housing mate up to the block and will there be any issues with the flywheel . I believe your current engine should be the 134 CID so there may be a difference with the crankshaft (2.5) accepting the flywheel from the 134 engine. As long as the bell housing can bolt up , clutch shaft length won't be an issue. Yeah , things like exhaust pipes and fuel lines will need relocation but if a 2.5 is available at less than machine shop cost to rebuild the 134 , that may be a quicker and less $$ plan. Let's hear from some members who have traveled this trail . But I will say that a four cylinder will have to be as an I6 4.0 or 258 will be difficult to plant in a short frame CJ. A small block will be more work and more money , if that's what you desire , more power , but will present more issues to deal with that you may not be asking for . Sure , many have put small blocks in a jeep , but it's still much to change out to fit and more expensive . If motor mounts and a relocated engine pipe is the biggest worries , than fuel line and wiring will be less work than that. Things like clutch linkage can be dealt with without too much hassle , later year parts should get that accomplished. Remember , CJ's of later years came with these engines (2.5) so it won't be too difficult. Hope this helps . Greg

Wow, The way you worded your problem, to me sounds like the starter is not working.
You say you can push it while in gear? And the engine turns over?
Man, if I had a 61 CJ5, I would want to make it as close to original as possible.
It would be worth much more.

I pulled the starter and it works fine. Tried turning the engine by hand and no movement either way. Thanks for the later cj5 eng idea. I'm gonna pull it apart and find the problem. Torn between engine swap and original as possible..

Hey Chris ! If you got your mind set on wanting to rebuild the original engine , I got your back on that ! If the block , crank and cyl. head ( maybe even the cam ) are still good , it's the best idea.
I didn't know if you just wanted to update to modern , but like Tison78_CJ5 said , original is the way to go on a CJ of that era. An 80's engine , you can take it or leave it ( I still got respect for a 258 though) but a 134 needs to be resurrected. My idea was to update if your into that but you know that involves wiring , PCM , electric fuel pump , etc.. Go for it brother , I really hope it works out . You know it's the best way because it will bolt right back into place. No fabbing anything.
The engine just quit and you did not try to abuse it any further than start and diagnose it , I see a chance to save it. Trying to speculate in my head why it won't spin but I'd rather wait for the report and not think the worst. We'll wait for your post(s) and wish you the best . But we hope your engine can take a rebuild and all is good. I know you feel pessimistic right now but soon you'll find out what's up with it. Rooting for you and the jeep. Like I said , CJ's are my favorite .
Like to see them all get saved . Best of luck brother . Greg

What engine is in your jeep, 134, 225? Did you start the tare down yet. I personally wouldn't put a 258 I6 in your jeep, I would stick to a more original motor like the buick odd fire 225. It will be easier to install than a inline 6, our jeeps only have a 81" wheel base which makes room a issue with the inline6, in the 70,s the cj was extended 3" in the front for the inline. A v6 would be easier to do. the GM 4.3 is a very popular swap for the early cj,s and depending on what engine you have now, your bellhousing will bolt right to it I believe.

I have the head removed, oil pan off, radiator out, Pistons and rods appear to be fine. Found 5-6 small pieces of metal shavings in oil pan. No apparent problem yet. Still won't turn by hand.. About to remove the engine, transmission, and clutch altogether. It's a 134 by the way. Thanks for the tips so far. Don't want to replace until problem is identified. Will post when I find it.

What engine is in your jeep, 134, 225? Did you start the tare down yet. I personally wouldn't put a 258 I6 in your jeep, I would stick to a more original motor like the buick odd fire 225. It will be easier to install than a inline 6, our jeeps only have a 81" wheel base which makes room a issue with the inline6, in the 70,s the cj was extended 3" in the front for the inline. A v6 would be easier to do. the GM 4.3 is a very popular swap for the early cj,s and depending on what engine you have now, your bellhousing will bolt right to it I believe.
That would be swell if he could get his hands on a 4.3 ! I like that engine better than a V6 Buick as they make more torque in stock form and if I remember right , edelbrock made a four barrel manifold for it but that should mean a two barrel may be available or at least adapt . Fuel injection will make it shine but a good carb will keep it from being a dog. Would like to see the 134 CID up again but the 4.3 is a nice alternative !

Last edited:

Might have some metal in a crank bearing seizing it. You have the rods out so the crank should turn very easy now.
I hope is something that is not major. Guess that is a crazy statement, with your engine laying in pieces.
Good luck

Back