78 cj

tripz

Well my question didn't get answered, but I figured I'd still put up a couple pictures of my recent acquisition. 1978 CJ5. I'm in project mode.

Attachments

• 0001.jpg
    0001.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 271
  • 0002.jpg
    0002.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 223
  • 0003.jpg
    0003.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 213
  • 0004.jpg
    0004.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 252

Well my question didn't get answered, but I figured I'd still put up a couple pictures of my recent acquisition. 1978 CJ5. I'm in project mode.

first off nice jeep

As for your Question What Question :?|

Third :welcome::coolpics:

Pardon my intrusion, but what question did you ask? Please refresh my memory.

Dave :???:

I agree with the last post, nice Jeep.

OK to answer your question that I obviously missed sorry bout that!!!
as for your fuel and temp gauges there are wires connected to the the back with 5/16 nuts they tend to come loose from how the harness hangs under the dash
another thing is that the ground could have came loose or your power connection at fuse panel is loose or a blown fuse , speedo cable could have came loose from back of speedometer or it may be a bad gear in trans where cable goes in
or just a bad or kinked cable altogether , also check the back of the speedometer itself is it all corroded or are any of the connections cracked ect
I have a few of these speedo 's if you find yours to be bad and need one, just pay the shipping
All these pointers I mention are the most common places to check
let us know how you make out

Bravo tripz, rally the '78's~! :D Great find with a hard top, difficult to find in my neck of the woods. When I acquired 'Black Betty' (also a '78) first thing I had to do was address grounding issues, despite there being very little rust, I had to take one of those toothbrush shaped wire brushes to the back of my dash where the speedomter mounts and everything started working.

Rather than replying on both threads, I'll just do one. First, thanks for the welcomes.

Second, thanks for the suggestions. I'm going in tomorrow morning to play with it. I work at an auto shop, but just basic engine/transmission stuff. I've never messed with anything electrical. Once I get the speedometer and the E-brake (the easy part) fixed, it'll pass inspection, be registered and on the road.

I'll let everyone know after tomorrow morning how it went. Thanks again.

UPDATE:

The parking brake cables had to be ordered out of Birmingham so they won't be here until Tuesday. I pulled off the front wheels and the passenger-side rotor is terrible. The caliper's jammed. So I'm waiting on a delivery of new rotors/pads/calipers/brake lines. Looks like all I'm really doing on it today is new front brakes.

The rear drums are in excellent condition.

[edit] Uploaded another picture of it up in the air with rear wheels/drums off.

Attachments

• 0005.jpg
    0005.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
Since it's on a rack, good opportunity to check body bolts, brake lines, underside motor, trans. & transfer case leaks, exhaust hangers, etc.

The exhaust hangers are literally hanger wire. Gonna have to fix that.

I ended up not being able to do the front brakes or much of anything with the parking brake. Ordered parts through the shop to get them at a decent price, but they won't be here until the middle of next week. :(

I'll update again when I have something.

Don't feel bad, last summer 'Betty' spent nearly every sunny day (an event here in Oregon) deadlined, waiting on parts. So far I've just got some small fluid leaks to deal with, but I'll wait for the next rainy week to take care of that.

Ok after a couple of weeks of getting the wrong parts, I've accomplished practically nothing. The left-rear e-brake cable is good and in place; however, the front e-brake cable we got is too long - and it's the ONLY one available anywhere we can find (NAPA, dealers, etc).

Does anyone know where I can find one? The (incorrect) one we have is about 58" and probably 8" too long. Any help will be appreciated.

:rolleyes: I'm hip about wrong parts, recently had a debacle with thermostat housing, ultimately had to go to the boneyard

Back