94 Wrangler: Oil spewed all over engine

NewChris

For starters I hope I'm in the right forum.

Anyway, I had something replaced at 86,000 miles that the mechanic called an "oil pressure switch." Whatever it was, it blew and spewed oil all over my engine. Oil got into everything. I had to replace distributer, wires, etc. Plus I had the engine cleaned.

Now its 10,000 miles later (only on road miles -- no offroading) and I have oil spewed all over my engine again. Think its the same thing? And if so, why? Shouldn't it have lasted longer than 10,000 miles?

Also, I had the Jeep to a mechanic a month ago because of an exhaust leak. They diagnosed that I needed over $1,000 in repairs done to include everything from the manifold back replaced. Plus they said the oil pan was rusted through. Plus they said that the Jeep had "too much" lifter noise for its age and it needed a complete new engine to the tune of $7,000 or I should just junk this Jeep and buy a new car. I ignored their advice and so far haven't had the exhaust leak repaired because I haven't found a good shop that won't rip me off.

One note: I have no tools and no parts to do this repair myself. I have no garage or place I could repair it in and absolutely no experience at all in working on any cars. So I'm stuck relying on mechanics.

Any suggestions for what may be wrong? Its a 4 cyl engine and the oil is spewed on the passenger side all up and down around the oil filter. Its not that the filter is loose. I already checked that and checked it when the filter was last replaced just a month ago and it wasn't leaking then. [addsig]

Not sure I can help but I'll try. I'm an ASE certified mechanic so I'll do my best not to steer you wrong. First, before you do anything else, check the oil level, make sure it's ok. Second, buy some degreaser and clean the engine to the best of your ability. Then crank it up with the hood up and see if you can tell where the oil is coming from. For now I wouldn't worry about the exhaust or the engine noise. Do one thing at a time. Just make sure that you check the oil level, I can't stress tis enough. If it's low add until full before cleaning or driving, CHECK OIL VERY OFTEN. Oil is the life of an engine. After cleaning, while engine is running look at the oil filter again, even if you've done several times already. Then look at the oil pressure switch, oil pan gasket, timing cover gasket, valve cover gasket, ect...Sometimes the old oil filter gasket will still be on. Hope this helps. Will check back later to see how it goes.[addsig]

Like DOC said and I´ve found using a flashlight to find small leaks, is often helpful. You can see better, it focuses your attention to a small area and helps conduct a systematic inspection. Good Luck.[addsig]

Neighbor came over today and helped me take a look. He says its absolutely not the valve cover gasket which is clean and clear. Its not the "oil pressure sending unit" which is what I guess that mechanic called a "oil pressure switch" that I got replaced 10,000 miles ago. Its not the oil filter seal. He's not sure what it is that is leaking. It didn't leak at all while he looked at it. Figures!

But its 5 degrees outside with a -1 degree windchill. He said maybe it only leaks when the engine is hot. So its supposed to get above 30 on Monday and he said he'd come over and take a look again. We did run it a bit but it wasn't leaking while we ran it. But then its so cold out that the engine didn't really warm up that well. No one in this area has garages with their houses so we can't pull it inside a garage where it would be warmer.

He says its coming somewhere possibly behind and below the dip stick, but he can't figure out what would leak oil from that area. The dip stick is in tightly and it wasn't leaking from there.

Any ideas what could leak around there? [addsig]

Just sitting here trying to wake up, the only thing that comes to mind is a rear engine seal. But if thats the case I don't quite see how that would sling oil up onto the engine. Just went and looked at mine. The only thing around the dipstick is the oil filter and oil sender unit. I still think that cleaning, checking and refilling the oil then running it until it warms up and keep looking is the best bet for now. You may even have to run up the rpms to about 2000 as it may not leak without enough pressure. Hope you find it soon. By the way my oil sender unit has a fitting that is screwed into the block, if yours does too make sure to take a careful look at that too.[addsig]

Oh yeah, now that I'm finally awake. There is a dye kit with a UV light you can buy to find leaks. Chances are you can buy it for about the same price it'll cost to take it to a shop except that you'll have the tool from now and can find any leak with it. If you want more info let me know.[addsig]

Back