99 cherokee 4 low doesnt work

danthedent

I got my cherokee about a month ago it's my second one except this one is a manual. A couple weeks after I got it and I wanted to try out the 4 wheel on it. So I put it in part time and no part time light came on. I'm almost positive that the part time actually works that just something is not working like a fuse sensor or bulb or something. After that I tried putting it low but when I did nothing happens. I know that it has to he in neutral when I'm in low but when I pressed the excel it just revved. So I tried putting it in first and seeing if it wasn't even going in and when I did that it didn't sound good at all so I took that out right away. Any feedback is appreciated

I got my cherokee about a month ago it's my second one except this one is a manual. A couple weeks after I got it and I wanted to try out the 4 wheel on it. So I put it in part time and no part time light came on. I'm almost positive that the part time actually works that just something is not working like a fuse sensor or bulb or something. After that I tried putting it low but when I did nothing happens. I know that it has to he in neutral when I'm in low but when I pressed the excel it just revved. So I tried putting it in first and seeing if it wasn't even going in and when I did that it didn't sound good at all so I took that out right away. Any feedback is appreciated

Sorry to hear your new rig is disappointing you , especially the four - wheel system , the very purpose of it's existence .
The light will be easy , just pull out the plastic bezel carefully and the bulb will be right there to change should that be the cause.
That is the least of concern right now , the transfer case and/or shift linkage needs to be addressed to confirm operation .
Time to get dirty. Of course you will want to do a full inspection of all components ( u-joints , wheel bearings , the list goes on )
as there is enough work right there , but for now , the t-case needs to be diagnosed if it is working right or not .
The fact that it is a Manuel trans worries me that someone may have been abusive at engaging four wheel without a deft touch and had trouble properly shifting through desired ranges improperly . I owned a 78' jeep cherokee with a top loader 4-speed and a 2-speed transfer case and remember that torque will not allow you to select a range until you unload the torque . You must be standing still , clutch in and allow a moment for the shafts to stop rolling to engage gears . No synchronizers to assist .
If you are on a grade , drive shaft torque will hamper shifting as well . This is all part of learning to operate our rigs the way they were meant to be operated under what conditions we may be operating under . It's easier with an auto trans , but I know you know that . First check the t-case oil level , while your there , check the main trans too . Low oil level doesn't exactly help things , but we need to know its got lube . We don't want destruction . You will need a second person to assist you next .
With the engine off and some wheel chocks to prevent rolling too far , you can try to engage the transfer shift without engine power causing grinding . Whether you can manipulate the t-case into gear by rolling the jeep some as shift is pulled with main in or out of gear will take some trying , but you want to know , can you engage your four wheel gears . You mentioned you have part time , I believe you may have the NP 242 if that is what was installed in a '99 but it sounds like you have the same system I have in my '92 with auto trans . If you can now engage four wheel low range ( assuming there is no trouble with part and full time ? ) , with clutch in , start engine and try to take off SLOWLY . Listen for unwanted squeals or grind . Hope that is not the issue . That would be binding gears and bushings due to low lubricant or abuse . Lets not put the whammy on your new rig but a proper diagnostic is in order . If low works satisfactory , carefully try to get through neutral into full time . If you cannot access low no matter what you do ( if grinding or squealing is heard on engine start up , kill the engine immediately ! ) , there may be a bent or broken shift fork or shift rod internally . Not what you wanted to hear , but you need to know what is wrong .

I am hoping that this helps you determine the cause of your trouble and wishing the best for your rig too . Check linkage for binding ( bent rods , etc. ) before you try engaging gears as previously posted . I am hoping all that is wrong is that the last owner may have gotten over zealous with the shift out of frustration unable to engage low range , but really hoping there is NO serious damage too . Best of luck , but most of all , be safe in all the diagnostic procedures you and your helper do while performing this operation . Hoping for the best , Greg .

Welcome to the Z.

As for no 4wd light, that's probably a problem with the front axle disconnect. The passenger side front axleshaft is not locking together and activating the 4wd light.

As for not being able to shift into 4low, that's probably a need to adjust the transfer case linkage.

Welcome to the Z.

As for no 4wd light, that's probably a problem with the front axle disconnect. The passenger side front axleshaft is not locking together and activating the 4wd light.

As for not being able to shift into 4low, that's probably a need to adjust the transfer case linkage.

Thanks Bounty_Hunter , did not know it has a vacuum motor on the axle . Yes , I checked my shop manual ( 1992 ) and one rod has an adjustment . Greatly appreciate the advice and glad to know someone with more experience is on the job ! Thanks again !!!!!!!

Back