99 Jeep Wrangler riding rough

realworld

hello, new to the forum world, but i know u dudes and dudets have answers,
99 Jeep Wrangler, 6cyl, sport, got it a few years ago with a lift and tires already, not clean looking lift but a lift.
i changed shocks, Bilstein, bushings in sway bars, installed a rough country stabilzer, and just recently learned to lower tire pressure.
ok with all that, its still rides clunky, i live in maryland so its regular street roads, crappy roads but roads.
HELP...its driving me nuts, i feel every bump in the road...not to bouncy but like riggidy like it rides like an old table...lots a of vibration in front end when i go to first, little while driving..
occasionally when on a hill i put my foot on the brake in nuetral it rocks back a bit because of the hill then i feel like a clunk...
oh also changed rear control arm bushings..
i guess they are some type of stock spring or i assume lifted because i guess they dont come lifted..
ok have patience with me and sorry if i put this in the wrong area, i normally just cruise through the forums and look for info but im frustrated, ok thanks and thanks for any info

Welcome to Jeepz.com
Do you happen to have a body lift, or replacement bushings / spacers between the body and your frame? I'm wondering if you have some hard poly body mounts.
How much lift do you have on your Jeep? Any chance you know the make / model of lift?

occasionally when on a hill i put my foot on the brake in nuetral it rocks back a bit because of the hill then i feel like a clunk...
This and the vibration going into first make me think that something is loose. You may just need to go over all your control arms, engine mounts, and transmission mount / skid plate and make sure everything is tight and secured.

Feel free to post some photos is you can.

ok i will get under and see if things are loose, as far as body lift i am really not sure, there were teraflex shocks on it, they looked dirty and old so i put the silver bilsteins on because they looked thorough. Also a while back a shop told me i should replace the transmission mount, i did,
i have some old looking control arms on there, maybe i should switch them, they look tired...
possiby the engine mount, is that a pain the ass too do!? i try to do my own work,
thanks for your response
oh i guess the ball joints i think they are called, some look a bit greasy and worn but i heard that some times grease is decieving but maybe i should venture toward springs, control arms and the ball joints, but that would be a pain in the a@@ if that effort just laughs at me...haha

also i believe its a 4 inch lift. i also recently lowered the tire pressure, for the longest i have what the freagin tire calles for and not what it needs, so maybe i ruined something in the process...i now have like 28psi in the 33s, i may even go to like 25-26 i have read...thanks

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
geez i dont know how the upside down pic came upside down its not like that in my library, and thats actualy when i bought, the other two is when i have put work in..thanks again

sorry for all the post, just have thoughts, i guess maybe those pics dont help much but also those pics the tires were overflated. ok thanks

The third pic in the rear wheel well it looks like the well is tight to the frame so you likely do not have a body lift. Body mounts can still be an issue if they are rotted out.

If you have a 4 in lift or more on stock control arms the angle the arm is at is more likely to transmit the vibration into the frame over the spring absorbing it.

There will always be some annoying rocking due to the concrete slab joints...if in your area... This is due to the short wheelbase.

You really want to do a dry steer test to find and replace loose or worn parts.

Also check the u-joints..

The pics are ok but not the best for us to comment on.

One like this may be helpful.

attachmentphpattachmentid18300stc1d12700-1.jpg

miniIMG_0040JPG-1.jpg

Last edited:

Take some photos of your control arms, as well as your body mounts. Something along the lines of this perspective

16642d1365192276t-terrymason-s-2005-jeep-tj-build-img_4235-jeep-onboard-air.jpg

Back