A/C clutch pulley?

CherokeeGuy42

Ok I started hearing this nasty noise comming from my engine and looked and saw that my A/C compressor clutch seems to be going out. I still have Hot air and Cold air, so I was wondering if I would be able to replace just the clutch/pulley? I really don't want to go through the hassle of the compressor and trying to charge the system agian.

You should be able to replace just the clutch. I think its a dealer-only part. If you are getting a nasty squeal like I was on my 00, you might be able to fix it fairly easily. I was reading about the gap spec between clutch and pulley and the factory sets it with shims (washers). I took the shim out to narrow the gap and compensate for the wear and its been working well since. No more squeal.

Well its not really a squeal, its more of a grind. I talked to Autozone and they said the whole compressor and clutch was 255 while the clutch itself was 225. How crazy is that?

Most shops will evacuate your system (pull the refrigerant) and give you a credit, and will vacuum and charge your system after you replace the compressor. Call around and let them know you have a full system, so they will factor in the credit part.

Back