A question of morals

Originally Posted by Utah_jeepster said:
What I see is one person censoring what I can and can not see.
What I see pharmacists refusing to fill prescriptions because they oppose birth control!
What I see doctors refusing to do vasectomy's or tubule litigation because self sterilization is wrong in there eyes!
What I was asking way back then at post #1 was when does somebody have his or her right to impose there morals on you?

TwistedCopper said:
In none of those examples, movie theatre guy included, is anyone imposing their morals. An auto mechanic can choose to not work on Saab vehicles because he doesn't like them. What's the difference. If we start forcing business do do what they do not want to then the government would then be imposing morals upon the business.

First off thank you Snitty I feel debates like this is very important to us because it gives everyone of us a chance to see the person behind the on-line name. Abstract thought differentiates us from the rest of the animal world.

TC I will have to argue with that, it shows all the signs of that Larry Miller was under contract from AMC to show movies that they release through their distributors. (Though he has remained silent on this issue) I am sure he is being fined by AMC for not showing it.

The pharmacists I was referring too was on a 60 minutes program. It was a Walgreen's in the mid-west. In the company's rules it doesn't say any where that if you don't like a certain drug you don't have to issue it.
Both of these are just the tip of the iceberg of a single person placing his morals before the Company.

Last edited:
I didn't think we would ever start losing people over our discussions. Ohh well.....I'm still here, life goes on and the world kept spinnin.

Sparky-Watts said:
Dang, I knew if I held out long enough I'd get you to waste a bunch of time for nothing!!!!!:lol: :mad: :funny: :rofl: :razz:

This has been most enjoyable!! It's hilarious to see what lengths you'll go to to prove that you're right!!!:purple: Thanks for the amusement. See you next time a hot topic pops up!!!:purple: :purple:

Well if you read my post, I said "SOME" of the results, not 661,000. Actually I clicked every one on the first page and just skimmed each one. The whole deal took me 5 minutes tops, sorry if that disappoints you.

No thanks are needed. To once again prove you wrong was purely my pleasure.

well i have to say i really enjoyed the ongoing debate between TC and sparky. i'm going to have to side with TC on this one though... although sparky does bring up some good points. i am a biology (pre-med) student in my 3rd year, so a discussion about genetics on a jeep board definitely caught my eye.

for those of us who don't believe that homosexuality is a direct result of genetic defects, i think it is important to clarify that that does not make our default belief one of "gay by choice." i think homosexuality is more or less a psychological disorder brought about by a number of contributing factors: primarily environment (how you were raised, life experiences, trauma, lack of proper role models, etc.) and secondarily genetic make-up (possibly by defects causing abnormal amounts of hormones, lacking neurotransmitters, etc. which then have consequences upon sexuality).

it is, however, quite humorous and a little disappointing to me that anybody on this site (or elsewhere for that matter) would claim to have (or have read) conclusive scientific evidence pointing to the genetic responsibility of homosexuality. i'm sorry... but you can't go basing your life beliefs and conclusions from a web page you found in a google search! if you want REAL scientific data on a topic such as this, you should look to scholarly (peer-reviewed) sources (journals, databases, etc.), none of which will you be likely to stumble upon through a search engine.

to sum up it all up... scientists know VERY little about our genetic code, respectively speaking. true, we have made great advances in the past decade or so when it comes to genetics, but every time we make a new discovery it only shows us how much more we DON'T know. for example, sections of non-coding DNA (introns... as opposed to exons, which code for specific proteins), which until recently were thought to be basically "junk DNA" or leftovers from our evolutionary past (and thats an entirely different debate...), are now being found to have all sorts of important functions (gene regulation, protein expression, etc.). the point is, any scientist or group claiming that they have found conclusive genetic evidence for such a complex issue as homosexuality should be viewed critically and with caution. we know so little in the whole scheme of things, and any bold claim based on our limited knowledge is foolish and will be refuted in the future.

the truth is, there is NO "GAY GENE." you can't pull a person off the street, take a blood sample, sequence their genome, and say "ah-hah, there it is... you have the infamous gay gene. sorry, but you will now be faced with a life of hate, possible disease, and public humiliation."

LadyJeepFreak said:
Sparky, I'd appreicate it if you took my quote out of your post. Thanks for going from childish to even more childish.

Lady, I'm taking it out of my sig by the request of a member here who was concerned for you, and whom I consider a good friend, not because of the post I just quoted.

IT WAS A FREAKING JOKE, LADY!!!!!!!

Now, I know you're often overly sensitive to comments made here on Jeepz, but for cripes sake, lighten up!! You yourself have posted to a few "controversial" threads in your time, albeit you usually have the voice of reason in an otherwise chaotic thread. However, I find your comment above to be a personal attack, and would ask that you apologize before you leave. At this point, even though I have valued your opinions and your caring nature for others, I will not ask you to stay. One thing I hate as much as you apparently hate the drama that plays out in these threads is people who make a public "crye-bye" as they leave a message board. At the geocaching forums, we called them "geocides" and had bets on how soon the person would be back. Most came back, others didn't. For the ones who didn't, most of us felt it was better that they didn't. If you feel you cannot bear to resist opening what could be a possibly controversial thread here, or cannot stop reading it once you have opened it by mistake, there's nothing I can say or do to help you. You have a lot of friends here who care deeply about you, and I am one of them, but I'm not about to try to persuade you to change your mind. You're a big girl, you can make your own decisions. If that's what you want, then so be it. As was just mentioned, there are far worse message boards on the net than this one. I've already admitted that I've been an arse in the past, and even made an attempt to apologize to the community; the true friends here accepted my apology, while others couldn't resist continuing to stir the pot by taking cheap shots at me in sig lines, full open posts, PM's, and emails. I'm still here. Perhaps it's because I've got a fair share of testosterone and the cajones to let the **** roll off my back.

I'm sorry you feel the way you do, and I don't feel I deserved that personal attack you made on me. I thank you for your compassion when I needed it the most, and I will miss that. Otherwise, have a good life and don't let the door hit ya......

TwistedCopper said:
To once again prove you wrong was purely my pleasure.

My point exactly. You still don't get it.:purple: You didn't prove me wrong on anything, in fact proved the point I was making by the whole charade! And also gave me some valuable lessons about a few of the people on this board....very scary, yet valuable lessons.:purple:

mujaman said:
well i have to say i really enjoyed the ongoing debate between TC and sparky. i'm going to have to side with TC on this one though... although sparky does bring up some good points. i am a biology (pre-med) student in my 3rd year, so a discussion about genetics on a jeep board definitely caught my eye.

My father was a biology major, so believe me when I tell you that I knew full well the defects in my "arguments". If you read my further posts, you'd know I wasn't serious. Join us again next week when we have a discussion about quantum physics as they relate to the age-old question of the chicken and egg debate.:lol:

mujaman said:
for those of us who don't believe that homosexuality is a direct result of genetic defects, i think it is important to clarify that that does not make our default belief one of "gay by choice." i think homosexuality is more or less a psychological disorder brought about by a number of contributing factors: primarily environment (how you were raised, life experiences, trauma, lack of proper role models, etc.) and secondarily genetic make-up (possibly by defects causing abnormal amounts of hormones, lacking neurotransmitters, etc. which then have consequences upon sexuality).

I agree with the secondary genetic theory you posed here more than I do with your thoughts on environment. Although to some extent, I would think that dressing a little boy in girl's clothing and treating him as a girl throughout his learning years would be more likely to cause him to be gender-confused than gay. There is a huge difference between gender confusion and homosexuality. A crossdresser is often gender confused, but not neccessarily gay, and most gays do not crossdress. I tend to believe, from what I have read in medical literature (and yes, I've read a lot of it, rarely ever on the internet) that a smaller percentage of children raised that way would actually turn out to be homosexual than gender confused. Personally, I think the key to the genetic argument will eventually be found by studying hermaphrodites, and their ultimate gender persuasion, both those who are surgically "corrected" to be male or female after birth, and those who are not ever "corrected". With the constant bombardment of both female and male hormones from intact organs which produce them, the conflict would ultimately have to be settled, or at least I would think so. Mind you (TC), this is only theory and my opinion, so no google searches will be necessary, although feel free to do so if you want.

mujaman said:
it is, however, quite humorous and a little disappointing to me that anybody on this site (or elsewhere for that matter) would claim to have (or have read) conclusive scientific evidence pointing to the genetic responsibility of homosexuality. i'm sorry... but you can't go basing your life beliefs and conclusions from a web page you found in a google search! if you want REAL scientific data on a topic such as this, you should look to scholarly (peer-reviewed) sources (journals, databases, etc.), none of which will you be likely to stumble upon through a search engine.

Another point I was trying to make but never got around to it before passing out from the sheer hilarity of it all!:purple:

mujaman said:
scientists know VERY little about our genetic code, respectively speaking. true, we have made great advances in the past decade or so when it comes to genetics, but every time we make a new discovery it only shows us how much more we DON'T know.

Exactly. In fact, I believe it was one of our past Nobel winners who made the comment during his acceptance speech that, "The more we learn, the less we know."

mujaman said:
the truth is, there is NO "GAY GENE."

Ok, for the most part I've agreed with you, right up until this part. I worked with a used car salesman named Gene, and he was without a doubt, gay!!!:purple:

Thanks for an otherwise intelligent and well thought-out post. Definitely a breath of fresh air after some of the others posts here (mine included).:p

mujaman said:
the truth is, there is NO "GAY GENE."

I dunno dude, leather and platform shoe fetish...

image-missing.png

sparky... glad to know you were kidding on most of your posts. i kinda skimmed through a lot of them since there are 9 pages of this mess... so maybe i didn't pick up on the fact that you weren't in fact serious (or playing devil's advocate or whatever you were doing...). interesting thoughts on the hermaphrodites... wonder if a study has ever been done on something like that? oh, and i retract my statement about the non-existence of a gay gene. i'm pretty sure if we looked hard enough, we would discover that richard simmons definitely has it:)

First of all, I haven't been on for a while, but I'd like to say: "Woah!"

Out of step, I shot 7up out of my nose thanks to your post.

Snitty, and Utah, I like what you all had to say.

TwistedCopper said:
I never used the word "promotes". I used the word "glorifies".

You tryin' tell me it don't do dat :?:
TC, I wasn't speaking directly to you.

Ants, please NEVER stop making out with girls. And from now on, send me pics and video of it.

Lady, PLEASE don't let this thread drive you away.

Snitty said:
Mingez... your cowboy post had a great message in it. It was a great way to use other peoples' arguments against them. That was a great tactic. Though, being a cowboy IS a decision, so THAT example doesn't quite apply. But, it would take a very mentally blind person not to see the point you were making. Great work there.
Thanks, although I was really just trying to lighten the mood. But as for the decision aspect of my post: The opposing arguement is that Gays DO make a lifestyle decision (this theory of course, I disagree with) so the point is that it's appropriate to compare them to the most disgusting people on the planet: Cowboys. (to show the sillyness of that arguement)

I was just kidding about cowboys BTW....sort of.
I was NOT kidding about the Dallas Cowboys however!

Judge, yes hatred of the Dallas Cowboys IS in the bible. You are correct sir!

Last edited:
I'd rather not see quotes of others in another users signature, let's not stoop to the level of other boards where that nonsense occurs.

Although I have only skimmed this thread and not read every word, I admire everyone's ability to keep it above personal attacks, and to not take another's opinions personally.

Should anybody feel this thread needs attention (Lady or otherwise) feel free to shoot me a PM or click on the 'report post' icon.

Back