Again, Please buckle up.

southtj

And don't drink and wheel:

Draper man killed in off-road accident

A Draper man died Saturday afternoon when his Jeep rolled during an off-roading trip in Southern Utah, police said.
Sier George Van Komen, 29, was driving west on the Hell's Revenge off-road trail north of Moab round 4:30 p.m. when his 1979 Jeep Wrangler started to roll, according to Grand County Sheriff's Office.
Van Komen's passenger, a 23-year-old Salt Lake City man, jumped from the Jeep as it began to tip and managed to get away from the vehicle, said Deputy Brent Pace of Grand County Sheriff's Office. Van Komen was thrown from the Jeep, which then rolled over him, according to reports.
The passenger told police that they had been wearing their seat belts earlier in the day but did not buckle up after they stopped to make a repair on the Jeep, Pace said.
The two had only been driving again for about 15 minutes when the Jeep rolled. The passenger also admitted to police that the two had been drinking, said Pace.
Van Komen was an experienced off-roader and his Jeep was adequately prepared for such an accident with a full roll cage, Pace said. The vehicle sustained minimal damage and was driven out of the area.

Van Komen worked as an electrician and leaves behind a wife and two young children. He is the nephew of Dr. George Van Komen, head of the Alcohol Policy Coalition.
"He lived life to the fullest and led by a great example," said Sam Robinson, who had known Van Komen for 28-years.
A trust fund has been set up for the family at America First Credit Union.
-- Michael N. Westley

http://www.sltrib.com/2004/Apr/04262004/utah/160758.asp

RE SOA kit

WOW! That sucks,, And to think it would have been avoided with just a click. I always buckle up, here in Mass. Its "click it or ticket" I know it sounds lame but If you wont do it for the ticket do it for your life especially all of us jeepers. Drive safe guys/gals :wink:

really sad stuff..always bad to see somebody die during wheeling. worst part is about the children won't grow up with there father. Ayep..i always buckle up.

A sad thing indeed. A local boy from my town got a jeep wrangler for his 16th birthday and took it offroading in some hills near his house, he wasnt wearing a seatbelt and he rolled it. He fell out of the jeep and got crushed. If I was ever out with someone who rolled their vehicle and died because they didnt wear a seat belt. I might just quit wheeling. Very sad stuff but it serves as a reminder for all of us to buckle up.

I think it's also important to note that he had been drinking as well. I personally do not drink while on the trail, but I do not condemn those who do. But if you've had too much, please call it a day.

that's part of the problem.. drinking while wheeling... that's one time where impaired judgement is almost always deadly.. don't drink while driving, and don't forget the seatbelt. It sucks when you lose someone to a drunk... I know.. i've been there.

I spent 10 years as a paramedic, and in that time I never had to take the seatbelt off a dead man. I've seen horrific crashes that people walked away from because they had their seatbelts, and I've seen very minor crashes that killed those that didn't wear them. I have no tolerance for people who drive under the influence as a result of my experiences with EMS. For the love of God, please please please buckle up!!!

ive never been big on seatbelts but all that just changed my perspective, and for those who drink and wheel, they outa be smacked, thats not only endangering themselves but that also endangers the others that they wheel with, i kno from personal experience that when i drink i get silly and do stupid $hit and i dont think its any different wheeling besides the fact that its costlier which is just more reason not to, from now on, its seatbelts for me, thanks for getting to buckle up

I am here only by the grace of God and the use of a seatbelt. I've been in two very bad accidents, both of which would have killed me if not for a thin nylon webbing wrapped around me. In the first accident, the driver of the vehicle I was in was not wearing one and he was killed instantly. I guess you could say that sold me on seatbelts forever.

Both times that little belt saved me from a Drunk's bad decision to drive :evil: .

It's funny, but although I would never drive or ride in a vehicle on or off road without one, it still pisses me off that I could get fined for not wearing it. :?

Buckle up, not 'cause they tell you to, because it's the right thing to do.

Don't drive drunk, 'cause I don't want to tempt fate by getting hit a third time!!!

Thankfully I have only had to see two fatals while on the job. The first was a low speed rollover in a YJ. The person killed was one of five he was just the unlucky one the jeep landed on crushing his head flat. Wear your belts even in the rear of the vehicle also it's not just the front seat passengers that get chucked out

Back