Auto Trannt shifter...

K_K_PSI_GUY

This is not Jeep related, but I'm sure any info you all can give me will help me out.

What component controls or is in charge of letting the driver push the button on the shifter to allow you to shift from "PARK". I am aware that the break switch has to be working properly to shift out of park. I have checked this switch and it is working properly. The problem my girlfriends 98 Chevy Malibu. When the weather gets a little cooler, it is almost impossible to get the car into gear. Once the car or the weather warms up, the car shifts normally. The problem got so bad that we actually broke the shifter cover where you put your hand. We have already taken it to the dealer, but they where unable to duplicate the problem, so they could not help me. I figure that shifting mechanisms are at least similar, so somebody on this beard is bound to have the information to help me. -Al

if your pproblem only happens in cold weather. leave it at the dealer overnight, they should see the problem.. sounds like you have a transmission problem. if its outta warranty take it to someone like aamco who specializes in transmissions..... i believe there is a solenoid that allows the button to be pressed (i could be wrong on this one) that could be your problem. either way, you need to test it cold.. does the button press? or does the shifter just not move?

The button does not press in cold weather. As soon as the button is pressed, the shifter works fine. The funny thing is that once the button is forced to work, it works just fine the rest of the day. I will probably be leaving the car at the dealer or some transmission shop so they can see the problem when the car is dead cold. -Al

actually odd thing is i accidentally pulled the shifter off of my shiter(the hadle w/ thelil button on the side)it pops on and off if u add force.graewolf you are rigth there is a solenoid...i dunno if it has 2 do w/that though its called the lock out solenoid.[/quote]

right.... it locks the button until the brake is pressed.. then it releases....

Back