Axle oil drip?

Jakeyonedrop

I was looking underneath my jeep the other day and noticed that there was an oil drip coming off of the spring mount on the axle housing. I assumed it was some sort of bad seal within the axle and it was dripping down. Otherwise, where would oil be coming from? Anyone have any ideas?

[addsig]

is it from the front or rear axle. they both have seals in them. the rear axles are more prone to leaking. check the back of your brake backing plate and or pull the drum. if you have noticed the brakes grabbing it could be cause you got fluid on the shoes.[addsig]

im not really good at describing how to do it. i just do it. you have to get the hub off and down to the brake backing plate. the seals at the end of the axle. pick up a chiltons and it will get more descriptive as to the how. its not that bad to do ,about the hardest part is getting the hub off. i used a puller.[addsig]

:-D I could be a bad wheel cylinder from your drum brakes. Mine were leaking all over the inside of my rear wheel. Just an possibility. Good luck with the investigation! :-D [addsig]

akeyonedrop,

sounds like your rear cyls are leaking. easy to distinguish the brake fluid from the rear gear oil - gear oil is real thick and smelly (i like it, though) while brake fluid is not nearly as bad smelling and much thinner.

if it's the rear axle seals, that would mean that your diff is getting low (or already is low) on gear oil - real bad if you consider how much a set of pinions will cost you compared to a set of brakes.

there are three possible places the gear oil is escaping from: the axle seal, the diff cover or a crack in the axle housing.

if the axle seal, easy to locate when you pull the brake drum (any brake chatter?) just pull the drum, brakes, backing plate, and axle to change it. might as well change the bearing in there while you're at it. not a difficult job, but can get tricky tool-wise. get a good manual before you begin and make sure your rig's up on sturdy jack stands.

if the dif cover, easy to locate and unlikely to be collecting at your spring mount. if your loosing/lost gear oil, you'll need to replace/add anyway so may as well do this to. pop the dif cover off, clean out the pinions with 10w engine oil, use rtv on the cover and torque the bolts. if you have limited slip there's a tag on the cover letting you know to add the oil additive (dealer item)

if a crack in your housing - time to change your rear. . .

if a brake fluid leak, may be the cyl or the line. either way a relatively easy fix - just messy.

good luck.

michael
[addsig]

I have a similar problem that I'm starting to look into. Fluid is leaking from where the axle connects to the brake backing plate. Not sure which fluid it is, but I don't seem to be low on brake fluid so I assume it's gear oil. I 'm going to check the diff fluid level tonight and see if it's low..

As far as pullers are concerned, I don't have one. Are there many different types for different jobs, or is there a good universal puller for many applications? Which is the best type to get and where is the best place to get it?
[addsig]

Pulling the brake drum will help determine if it's coming from the wheel cylinder or the axle seal.

To replace the axle seal, simply remove the axle shaft, pry out the old seal, and pop in a new one. Use some silicon around the outside of the seal, where it's against the axle tube.[addsig]

Back