Ball Joint Mechanics 101 or What I learned on a rocky slope!

cewtwo

RE: whats it worth $$$

I can honestly tell you what a ball joint is and how it works. I can also tell you how to install one on the trail.

The day started out as many of the weekend trips do. During the week, we had installed a dual battery system (using an isolator/combo). We also installed a new lighting package. We wanted to have fun during the day but also allow ourselves to have some fun using the new lights at night. We talked about SOB hill. SOB hill is one of those great trails that aren’t really near to anywhere, but can be great fun to get to.

We decided to head south on 285. We were going to take Redcone, Radical Hill, and the Middle Fork of the Swan trails to get to it in the most adventurous way (and probably the most direct way as well). We went through Grant and five miles past. County Road 60 goes off to the right at about that point. There is a sign there that will tell you whether about “Redcone” and “Webster Pass” is open or closed.

It is a rough approach road. This area is popular for everyone. There is often high impact on the weekends. We air down at a small staging area by a National Forest sign and is just before the first trail obstacle. After Molly was exercised with her disc, we headed up toward the Redcone turnoff. Before you get very far up, the road is rocky and rough in places. The turnoff is well marked. We took Redcone to the top.

Redcone (7/10) is a great trail as it has minor challenges but the heart racing excitement of this trail is the elevation. There are two steep downhill runs on this trail that can really test your nerve and ability as you hope your back tires don’t pass the front ones. The final downhill run empties out on Webster Pass. There is always a chance to strut when you get to the pass.

You can turn to the left (east) here and take Upper Handcart trail back to CR60 or you can turn to the right (west) and go to either Radical Hill or the town of Montezuma. We headed for Radical Hill (6/10). This is a challenging trail. There is variety here. There are rocky slopes, tight switchbacks, and interesting turns at really high elevations. If you feel like a Mountain Goat, this trail can give you satisfaction.

We rode the top trail (#5) south to the trailhead for the Middle Fork of the Swan trail (4/10). As we entered, we saw a herd of Mountain Goats to our right. There were 30-40 head and some of them were little and cute. One of the most important pieces of equipment that we carry is two pair of binoculars. We sat and observed the herd for quite a while.

The weather changed during the afternoon. The skies were getting darker and you could smell rain coming. We weren’t disappointed. It became a summer Colorado afternoon. We experienced rain, hail, sunshine and fog.

We cheated on finding this one. I brought the old laptop computer and hooked up the mapping software to the GPS antenna. I opened a waypoint file (from a previous trip) and we found the trailhead to SOB Hill.

The trail was very wet and just as rocky as ever. We drove part of the way up but stopped after trying the first spotting opportunity. Conditions were too wet to be safe, so we decided to go to Frisco and get some dinner. On our way out, we pulled to the side to let a party of 5 Jeeps go to try and tackle the hill.

As we approached the turn off to SOB Hill after our dinner, we saw the 5 Jeeps leaving. Made us wonder as to what they did and whether they actually climbed the hill.

The trail was dry and very tempting. We arrived around 7:00 PM. We approached the climb slowly and found the first Spotter point. SOB Hill is very rocky. Some of those rocks are large. They are everywhere. SOB Hill is different every time you may ride it. People adjust the trail to fit their situation. So the trail you drove last time, is different the next time. We had to adjust the trail to fit our situation as well.

At the first spotting point, I got out to guide Tom as he drove the Jeep. We got the tread lightly kit out and removed the tree strap, a clevis and the gloves. Tom got the winch ready and I took the cable, the tree strap and headed for the best tree to provide us a winch point. I wrapped the tree strap around the tree at the base then connected it together with the clevis and attached the winch strap.

I guided Tom forward. The front differential would not clear the step in the middle of the trail so I directed Tom to back up. As I watched, the front driver side tire went toe out suddenly. I stopped him and asked him to look at it. He looked at the tire through the driver side window. He thought it looked odd, but as we were in the process of a pull we decided to go with it.

We got some rocks and started to build up the side of the step to allow the driver side tire (and hopefully the differential cover) to clear the step. Tom started the winch and I guided him up the ramp. The tire moved back into an upright position and started to climb the step. Unfortunately, the differential still did not clear the step. We had to back it up again. This time the tire went even more toe out. Tom got out this time and looked at it. The lower ball joint seemed to be gone. The axle appeared to be broken. We were on a 40-degree slope. We decided to try it again.

We built the stone ramp higher and I had Tom pull the Jeep forward. The tire seemed to go back into place, but the differential still did not clear. We backed the Jeep up. This time the tire went toe up. Toe up? Is it possible? Umm… Err… Yes it is and it is not a pretty sight. We chocked the back tires and then chocked the chocks. We kept the winch cable tight but not over-tight. We turned on the air compressor and used air tools to remove the tire. The hub was being held on by the brake cable (stainless steel) and the steering tension rod. It was getting very dark by now. We looked over the trail and found the missing upper ball joint. Tom pulled the axle out of the differential. We put the tire back on and moved the hub onto the knuckle of the axle side of the ball joints. It was solid so we lowered the Hi-lift and the Jeep was supported (not movable, but supported).

It was too dark now to work on the tire. The evening light was fading very quickly. There was no cell phone signal. The CB radio was quiet and was neither receiving nor was anyone acknowledging our transmissions. We checked all 14 of the FRS channels on our FRS radio, but got not response.

I like to come prepared, so we pulled some flannel sleeping bags out, the emergency flashlight, and a little food for a light supper. We discussed the scenario, but could not come up with anything until the morning. We slept in the Jeep. About four times during the night, Tom woke up and started the Jeep. We’d get some heat going, turn the Jeep back off and would go back to sleep. I actually sleep well in these circumstances, but Tom didn’t feel he got much sleep at all. Of course, I heard him snoring quite a bit, so I know that he did get some sleep.

When I first bought the flannel sleeping bags, Tom told me it was a waste of money. Now he feels differently about them. It sure was nice to keep warm during a sudden stay in the backcountry.

I think Tom woke up much earlier than I did. He was quiet and let me sleep. I woke up around 7:30 AM. Outside was cold and the sun was not shining on the tree-laden hillside we were on. I told Tom that I wouldn’t be going out until there could be sun on my face and a little warmth outside. We were out and working on the situation at around 8:30 AM.

We checked the damage again. Both of us had spent the night mulling over what we could do to get out of there. We removed the tire again and checked the damage in the morning light. We had all the parts we need to get the tire back on. If only it would stay together, then we might have something.

The lower ball joint was still on the hub. We had the parts to put the upper ball joint back together. The pin of the upper ball joint was still mounted on the hub. The axle universal joint was definitely blown. Parts of it were still lodged on the axle knuckles. We put the axle in the back of the Jeep wrapped in a plastic bag.

We took the lower ball joint off of the hub. Using a sixteen-ounce hammer, I was able to get the lower ball joint into place on the knuckle. Together we moved the hub so that the upper ball joint pin was in the hole of the knuckle, while we placed the lower ball joint pin into the hub. We tightened the nut on the lower ball joint and the hub slowly moved up and into place. We took the old upper ball joint cap (the parts had separated) and tapped over the pin and into the knuckle. We tested the hub without the tire on and it seemed fairly solid. We put the tire back on. We lowered the Hi-Lift. The tire stayed put and so did the ball joint. We might get out of here. We cleaned up the tools and the site. We were ready to test it.

We added some tension to the winch cable and pulled the Jeep far enough forward to release the chock rocks behind the back tires. I spotted Tom and we started to back the Jeep down the hill. We used the winch (reset it three times) and the Jeep to get it back down past several small obstacles. It held together. After we got the Jeep to the bottom, we packed the ‘Camping’ gear, got a place back for Molly and we headed for the highway.

We drove it for two miles then stopped to air up and play Frisbee with Molly. The ball joint was still holding. Picture this. The tire/wheel/hub is connected to the Jeep. There is no axle in place, so we stuffed a rag in the opening. The steering rod is holding and is working. The brake line had a worn are on it, but we moved it out of the way of the tire.

We decided to drive to Frisco. Made it without any problems. We filled with gas, and then got some breakfast and coffee.

We caught I-70 and headed for the house in Englewood. We’d stop every three exits or so and check the ball joint and the steering. It held tight all the way.

The next day we priced the work and started the change out. We were able to save the axle and the differential locker. So now what did it matter all in all? About $245.00 for parts and partial service. Oh yeah, that and about $1000 in luck. Overall, a pretty darn good trip.

JEEP RESTORE IS DONE! PICS

wow... thats pretty good, lemme geuss, dana 30? i had one of mine start to seperate on the way back from a rough day in the mountains and i got home and changed it asap

Yep. Dana 30's.

Finally got it all back together yesterday afternoon. Seems pretty rock solid now.

I do believe that part of my problem is that since the locked axles went on, I am constantly trying to test what the YJ can do.

Now where should I go this weekend? Ah! Fort Collins and Heart Attack Hill on the Kelly Flats trail...

RE: Re: hellloooo

heh, im the same way, i can where-ever i want, and now that ive got a winch its even worse. lower two at tellico? hah! ive got a winch if i get in a spot. that was interesting to say the least...

Back