Bedliner in and on the jeep

79cj7steve

yea so im thinking about ripping out all my carpert and just coating the whole interior with durabak bedliner then painting the outside with it to i guess im asking if i could get posatives and negatives about it

I ripped out all of my carpet and got it sprayed with line-x. Kinda pricey but i really enjoy it. As far as on the outside of the jeep. i guess that would be a choice of your own. i dont see it as being a problem.

liner material in for the inside. Doing it outside is plain getto. Plus just waite until it starts flaking off in 1-2 yrs. Then it really looks good.

I put the roll on bedliner in mine. It was the plasticoat or duplicolor whatever it is, I got it at walmart. Gallon Jug was about $39 - $49 if memory serves. In my opinion, Jeeps don't need no stinkin carpet anyways, It's nice to just be able to pull the drain plugs and wash out the inside. :D

Before i got mine sprayed with the line-x I did mine with the roll on bedliner but i had problems with it flaking. went with the line-x spray on bedliner and have had it for almost 3 years and havn't had a problem with it yet.

I've seen Wranglers Rhino lined in and out. the Exterior is color matched to the factory color. it kind'a looks ok, but not that great. i would imagine it would be hard to clean when you go mudding.

T-rav, thanks for the comment.

Yeah i would think if the exterior was line-x sprayed it would seem like it would be hard to clean. But as for the inside. I just pop the drain plugs out. add a little water and im good to go. No problemo SteelHeadz.

I have seen inside and out.Most that I have seen on the outside only did the bottom 6" to a foot of the body.Helps stop scratches from flying rocks.I have also seen a few bumpers done that way.Doesnt look the nicest on the outside but if you hardcore offroad may be the best choice.

thats looks great how is the heat transfer i am going to to get a quote tomorow on the roof and the lowers kick panels i will let every one know the price but thats looks great good thinking. Would be nice to have the hole car done. I had a 88 toyota 4x4 p/u that my friend sprayed the hole truck with the QWIKLINER it was great off road never could scratch it only chiped one time when i slid in to a tree on the side of the bed it really didnt chip just cracked. But after that he sold the gun to spray it.
I recently spray bombed my 89 cherokee with undercoating. I did the whole body with it and it came out pretty good. It has that rough texture and dull finish to it. And the realy nice thing is that it goes on perfectly....you don't get any of that streaking from regular spray paint.....and it couldn't be easier to touch up if it gets scratch.
I think Qwikliner is best in Spray on Bedliner. Thanks.:???:

My buddy just got it done to his tj. I think it looks pretty hard core, if thats what your going for. IMO i think the out side would look better with black diamond plate vs the spray liner. But again, to each is own. Cheers :beer:

I'm down here in S. FL( no not Miami) We have a meet and greet every other week at a car show. Anyways, This father and son bought a 10 yr. old XJ for a project, they took all the trim off and Hurculined the entire body. It looks like a red chreokee until you get closer. To each his own. To clean it after mudding would not be fun.

thanks for the advice everyone i still think im gonna bed liner everything but the bedlinner im using is a smooth texture with no large chunks of rubber so i dont have the ghetto texture problem and i dont plan on taking it mudding to awfull lot cause im gonna be living in the city for a few years then ill be back in the country after college and who cares if you have mud on it after that

last year i had this jeep. it was a 97 and had been lined for 6 years when i got it and still looked pretty good. it was done by a local company named superior lining. its sprayed on like rhino but just not the big name. he two toned it and even gave it a bra :lol:. The entire jeep was sprayed; inside outside inner fenders, under carriage. i dont remember it being real hard to clean and i got a lot of attention on it.

Attachments

• rhino o.jpg
    rhino o.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 20,456
  • rhino.jpg
    rhino.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 22,003

Personally, I would love to line the underside, frame ad tub of the Jeep, but that is as fr as I would take it. Also, consider that if you do the hood, the liner will also work as an insulator, making the underhood temps rise, creating problems like cracking vacuum lines, etc. Also, it would be interesting to know (1) if the color fades, (2) how much weight will it add to the Jeep, and (3) I understand some of these coating can catch fire (another reason not to paint the hood!).

Anyway, I saw this at the Line-X dealer where I did my front bumper last week...

DSC00144-3.jpg

DSC00145-3.jpg

DSC00146-3.jpg

DSC00147-3.jpg

DSC00148-3.jpg

I think it is TOO much liner, but to each his own...

Felipe

I don't know if you want to go this route but this is what I'm planning to do for my rig.

For the most part my rig still looks pretty good and I'm all about things looking clean when they need to, so here's what I decided to do. I'm gonna spend a couple hundred bucks and order a one-piece formed carpet to replace the old carpet, which is still in decent shape but definitely worn. While I'm waiting for that to ship, I'm gonna Rhino-line the entire floorpan (leaving holes for the drain plugs, of course.) Then the carpet will go over top of it, giving me the best of both worlds. I can just take the carpet out for those URE weekends or those planned all-day mud runs. After the weekend (or day) is over and the Jeep is clean, I can just pop the formed carpet back in for those times when I actually want women to think I drive a NICE Jeep :lol:

Just something to think about.

It's actually really easy to swap the carpet in and out after you've done it a few times. You take out the seats and it just goes right in or comes right out. It takes about 30 minutes if you've done it before and you know what needs to come out.

Last edited:
I would not mind doing the tub and even the underside and frame; but the body is just too much for me.

Sine, I was thinking about the same approach as you are, and have not yet ruled it out... But for now it is too expensive, and I may be running out of time to do it because I am moving to Central America in a couple of months.

I would not mind doing the tub and even the underside and frame; but the body is just too much for me.

Sine, I was thinking about the same approach as you are, and have not yet ruled it out... But for now it is too expensive, and I may be running out of time to do it because I am moving to Central America in a couple of months.

Damn... well see, I was running the costs the other day. The carpet will cost $150-$225 depending on who I get it from. I'm definitely going for the single-piece molded carpet kit because right now I have the multi-piece velcro system and it's a *****. As for the liner... that's the tough decision. I can get a professional Rhinoliner coat for around $250 I estimate. Or, I can just buy a sprayer and some drums and do it myself for under $100. I'd rather go with the professional coat but I also like saving money because I'm a cheap bastid :D

Either way, the entire project should not cost more than $500. I'm about to spend $600 on a Jeeputer setup w/ a touchscreen (self-built, self-installed) so I guess it's not a huge deal right now.

Back