Bubbacon and Friends

I found some pictures taken during a Jeep club ice cream run made earlier during the year. I thought that I would post one picture so that you see a couple of the more interesting club Jeeps.

Here are the Bubbacon and two friends at the end of the ice cream run.

image-missing.png

The Jeep behind and left of the Bubbacon is a 1946 Willys. The owner (a body shop technician employed by a trucking firm) has restored the Willys to better than new condition. This Jeep is truly a work of art. The owner also installed a Buick V-6 to power the Willys. The owner and his wife drive the little Willys all over the country without a second thought.

The Yellow CJ-7 behind the Bubbacon was restored from a burnt-out hulk. A Jeep dealership mechanic owns that CJ. The restoration included an aftermarket fiberglass body. The engine is an AMC V-8, but I cannot recall the displacement. The engine was rebuilt by a pro speed shop. The owner of that CJ told me that the engine alone cost nearly $7,000.00.

I kid you not: when that Jeep starts, the earth shakes.

Two extremes of Jeeping.

Regards,

Gadget

Very cool - especially the flatty. I'm sure I am not alone when I say I'd like to see some more pics of those Jeeps. Next time you're out, snap some pics if they are okay with it :wink:

Thought this was cool

Mingez wrote:

So what's up with the Bubbacon, anything new?

Hi-Ya, Ian,

Good to hear from you!

Sad to say, there is not much that I can report about the Bubbacon. The Jeep is complete to the extent envisioned. The Jeep runs well, everything on or in it works, I have added almost every conceivable gadget, and I have greatly enjoyed working on it and driving it. I drove old Bubba frequently during the summer while zipping around on my errands. The main-squeeze and I drove it during several day-trips through upstate NY.

But, there is nothing more to do to the Bubbacon, and I have this feeling of "now what?"

I have been toying with the idea of turning in my leased G-Cherokee next May, selling the Bubbacon and then leasing an Unlimited.

Then again, rather than sell the Bubbacon, more likely I will give it to my son. He had to sell all of his boy-toys (to include a CJ-7) a few years ago so as to scrape together a down payment for a house. I know that my son misses his Jeep, and he would provide the Bubbacon with a good home.

I dunno…it is probably obvious that I am at loose ends and desperately NEED a new Jeep project on which to focus my time and energy. If I had a new Jeep project, perhaps I would have something worthwhile to contribute to Jeepzs.com.

Maybe I should start a Jeepz.com thread with a poll. Something like: "What should Inspector Gadget take on as his next Jeep project?"

I have also thought about trying to locate a Jeep Commando to restore to more or less original condition. The Commando is my favorite among the older Jeep models.

How could one not love these beauties?

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

Commandos, however, are as rare as chicken lips in this region of the U-S-of-A. -- upstate NY being the rust capital of the universe.

The Bubbacon has been great fun, but the project has run its course, and it is time to move on.

Any ideas for a new Jeep project? I am open to suggestions.

Best regards,

Gadget

Find a wagoneer/grand wagoneer and get into that... That's my dream project. There's one for sale in Royal Oak, don't know how much, don't know what's in it, if it runs... Need to take a closer look at it, in a lot on 12 mile... Could be fun, don't know if full-size jeep are your thing, but it's a suggestion...

Re: RE: wanna see your house

Inspector-Gadget said:
Sad to say, there is not much that I can report about the Bubbacon. The Jeep is complete to the extent envisioned. The Jeep runs well, everything on or in it works, I have added almost every conceivable gadget, and I have greatly enjoyed working on it and driving it.
So, you mean...it's possible? A jeep CAN be completed? It CAN run well? Please explain as I am not familiar with this concept.

Any ideas for a new Jeep project? I am open to suggestions.

Well, I do like the Commando suggestion. And I think donating the Bubbacon to your son would insure that it found a good home and is cared for.

How about a flattey?

I tried to buy this one in Washington D.C. a while ago - the guy wasn't selling :(

It didn't move once in the 3 years I was down there.

Commando-1.jpg

RE: One sick jeep

ive always had a soft spot in me for the 2's, 3's and the military jeeps, i wanna take one and restore it completely and use it for a town run around you know, have something that no one else has and not hack it up and screw with it like i do my yj, they look like so much fun to drive and put back together

Back