can my alt. handle this?

Saleen4971

ive got a 93 grand cherokee with a 4.0

right now ive got one amp running all 4 of my speakers. the amp is 175x4@4. i wanted to bring in a 2nd amp so i can trhow 2 10" subs in the back. the other amp i want to bring in is 75x4@4. can my stock alternator handle this? if not, where can i get a good aftermarket alternator?

I'm currently running 2 MTX amps in my xj one 4 channel for front doors, tweeters and rears. And the second one for a single 10. If the tunes are cranked and pumping a lot of bass the lights can blink slightly, but I think you should be ok. In my experience cheaper amps tend to draw more current then the better ones.

I upgraded to a 160a alternator, running 2 kenwood sb 12" Running all 4agw wire and a 1 fared lightning cap. lights only dim if its ideling. but the second i hit the gas its all good.
A good alternator to get would be a ohio generator.
or if money is tight a rewould el-chepo off ebay will work.

The most important thing to keep in mind here is that INPUT watts required by the amplifier are not the same as the OUTPUT watts the amplifier will supply.

-Nick :!:

Good point, guess you would have to determine what the max amperage draw of each amp is, and consider how much amperage the stock jeep draws. A biggy will be the electric fan on the radiator.

If you have the Nippon Denso alternator, it's easy to upgrade to a 163amp unit from a junkyard. They run about $30 ro $50. If you have the older ACDelco alternator, they are easy to rebuild with a JC Whitney kit to increase amperage over idle.

Sorry, didn't have a chance to finish my though from above...

What you need to realize is that most all amplifiers will draw in more power than they output to the speakers. This is especially true for car amps, where you'll find many inefficient amplifiers.

What you'll need to do is determine the overall INPUT amperage, not wattage, of those two amplifiers, and determine how much additional load is going to be drawn by them.

Also keep in mind that the more power you pull, the bigger the wire you use will have to be, and you'll waste more gas :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

Back