Career Change? Any of you do it?

mingez

Hello all, I'm going thru a "What does it all mean" phase, and am going thru some personal changes. (this is hard for me to talk about) But I'm looking for a change....a career change. I'm 31, and wondering what I want to be when I grow up. (which BTW is atleast another 10+ years in the future)

So, let me give you all some background....

I went to school for Broadcast Communications. I was a comm/anthro double major and received my Bachelor's degree. (which essentially qualifies you to become a fry cook at any of the finest Wendy's in the US)

Now, I'm a General Manager for a furniture store, and while I like the money, I'm soooo dissatisfied with the personal satisfaction I get from my job. (I know, you are all groaning and saying "everyone is dissatisfied with that") That may be true, but I need more.

I loved working the Television and Film industry, but the pay sucks unless you get the right gig, and the people are jerks.

So NOW, I'm looking for a change...

Here are my criteria for what constitutes "Satisfying" job characteristics:
1. Creativity
2. Helping people - I have a strong urge in this area.
3. Finished product-I wanna be happy at the end of the day with what I've done or made.
4. Fun - I've gotta have fun. But #3's criteria trumps this...so if at the end of the day, I've helped people and am proud of the accomplishments achieved, then I can sacrifice some fun. That's what weekends are for.
5. Money. I've gotta eat. If I'm in SF in 6 months, I'd need to make a bear minimum of 45K to live like most do at 26K.

Other important factors: Job Marketplace, and schooling. I'm expecting to go back either for a Certification or AS, but another BS/BA/Master's are out of the question at this point. At least, unless my employer will incur the costs of education.

I know what you are thinking, "Take a career assessment exam"...I did.

Here were the results:
Radiation Technologist
NucMed
Nursing
IT
Desktop Publishing
Web Design
Radiation Therapy
Respiratory Therapy
Computer Programming
Editor ACE
Photography
Head Coach of the 49ers
Sharks GM
Lead Singer for Spinal Tap
Jessica Alba's House Husband

As you can see, there are a lot of computer/ design/ and medical areas in my list. I've been thinking of the medical profession for a long time. Like I said earlier, I have a strong urge to help those in need. I also have a calling toward creativity.

So, now my questions:
Have any of you made a mid-life career change? I suppose I'm on the lower end of 'Middle aged" but still, I'm no 21 year old. Thoughts and experiences are appreciated there.

Folks in the Medical field, any thoughts there? Am I being overzealous? Regrets? Sparky, I remember you said you were an EMT, perhaps you have some insights about the above medical areas.

And finally, suggestions other than what the placement tests came up with?

This has been a 2 year struggle. It's time to crap or get off the pot.

TIA,
Ian da-Mingez

Any witty snaps are also acceptable and appreciated. I realize I've left a huge opening here for some flaming, and I don't expect any of you to hold back...I wouldn't.:lol: Surrey Technician, Communist party coordinator, etc. If you do, just do me a favor and leave a serious suggestion too.. :wink: :lol:

RE: CJ front end,fenders,hood,grill,etc.

I feel Ya bro...I just turned 43, unemployed since Oct.(Motorcycle dealership closed down) and not a clue as where to head.
It did look like alot of medical choices there. My mom was an RN for like 30 yrs. She loved the work, had it's down sides but helping folks was a major plus.
Mrs. Jeeper worked as a Vet Tech for about 5 yrs....she said it was a cool job, of coarse she LOVES animals...why we have a ZOO here!
Maybe get a job screening applicants for HOOTERS!

What do You Drive

How 'bout "Moob examiner"? :lol: :lol:

JK, of course, Mingez. About 2 years ago (at age 49~50) I went through something similar - was making $70K+ working as a surveyor for a big civil construction contractor in Florida (as I had for the previous 15+ years). BUT, was working 60-70 hrs./wk., divorced, son going through "teenage" shite, and was constantly asking myself "Why?". Money was very good, mind you, but my "life" really sucked - all work, no play....not enough time for my son......no one to share the "high points" (few as they were). Then I met mudwoman and my mind went to spinning......applied for and accepted a DOT job up here in the mountains. Am now making about $35K but working 40 hrs. a week (and, of course, all the gov't holidays) and couldn't be happier.
I'd advise, given your background, your interests, and what little I know about you, that you follow your heart and chase something that really interests you. You are a very intelligent and talented individual.....the money might not be so great at first, but it will come - trust me! Good help (and talented people) are HARD to find (except here on the "Z", of course). If you can be patient, the marketplace will demand that they pay you a decent wage (I say, as I wait patiently........ :( ). And if you're looking for job security AND a chance to help people, then go for the medical field - never seen a "want ad" section where "Medical" wasn't the largest listing. But just be aware that there's a WHOLE lotta beaurocratic B.S. involved......mudwoman can verify.
Anyway, to close (WHEW! 'bout time!), good luck in you endeavors! Wish you the best!

the muds

RE: What do You Drive

Mingez,

I am on the verge of sleep right now, so I have to be brief, hopefully, I will pop back with some more insight... Firstly, I know where you're coming from with the what does it all mean thing... I'm only 21, and look back on my days wondering just what exactly have I accomplished among other things... Read my LJ, unless you don't want to be horribly disturbed... My best advice on that aspect is to look at everything you have done, the fact that you probably have AT LEAST 60 years to go, so step back and let things fall where they may...

Re: career change... I still don't know what I want to do with myself, except that living paycheck to paycheck paying the bills is not it... At this time, I have no advice, but then again, I am very tired... Hopefully, I can be of more help when I am not so exhausted/down... Till then, though, hang in there, live each day to the fullest, and wave to every Jeep you see...

mud4feet said:
How 'bout "Moob examiner"? :lol: :lol:

JK, of course, Mingez. About 2 years ago (at age 49~50) I went through something similar - was making $70K+ working as a surveyor for a big civil construction contractor in Florida (as I had for the previous 15+ years). BUT, was working 60-70 hrs./wk., divorced, son going through "teenage" shite, and was constantly asking myself "Why?". Money was very good, mind you, but my "life" really sucked - all work, no play....not enough time for my son......no one to share the "high points" (few as they were). Then I met mudwoman and my mind went to spinning......applied for and accepted a DOT job up here in the mountains. Am now making about $35K but working 40 hrs. a week (and, of course, all the gov't holidays) and couldn't be happier.
I'd advise, given your background, your interests, and what little I know about you, that you follow your heart and chase something that really interests you. You are a very intelligent and talented individual.....the money might not be so great at first, but it will come - trust me! Good help (and talented people) are HARD to find (except here on the "Z", of course). If you can be patient, the marketplace will demand that they pay you a decent wage (I say, as I wait patiently........ :( ). And if you're looking for job security AND a chance to help people, then go for the medical field - never seen a "want ad" section where "Medical" wasn't the largest listing. But just be aware that there's a WHOLE lotta beaurocratic B.S. involved......mudwoman can verify.
Anyway, to close (WHEW! 'bout time!), good luck in you endeavors! Wish you the best!

the muds

What does mudwoman do again? Any advice from her being she's experienced the medical field?

Re: RE: Career Change? Any of you do it?

Mudwoman is a COTA (? - this is me, so I think that's right). Anyway, she's an Occupational Therapist - works in a nursing home. In fact, she just left her "old" nursing home (9 years) and went to work at one in Sylva so we could ride to work together (gotta love 'er!). I'll see if I can coax her into answering you.

Re: RE: Girl doing jumping jacks

My wife is a district manager for one of the larger nursing homes around here, and she loves it. She's only worked for one company since college, and I guess it's going on 7 or 8 years now. She started doing activities for the home, and has worked her way up, now being more of a executive.

Like I said, she loves it. I personally couldn't stand it though (just too much hugging and touching for this IT guy). I think that her job is pretty fulfilling, as it's very easy to see the positive impact that you make. She always comes home with stories about how grandma fought to keep from going to the home, but once she was there, she made many new friends, and the quality of her life improved, and she ended up being thankful... that kind of stuff.

what were we talking about again??

How do you like IT Terry? And how was the schooling? What degree or cert. do you have?

IT's not bad. It's probably the only job where you answer to everyone (if the lowest temp's computer doesn't work, it's still your job to fix it). It's like any other job in that if you don't like it, you'll be miserable.

As for schooling, I got a 4 year degree in MIS, but that didn't provide any computer learnin, only a piece of paper to get me in the door. Since then I've gotten microsoft certified. In my spare time, I've taught myself linux / web development / server management, etc.

IT takes a certain type of person, as there are different thought processes (you learn to think as a very low level - what's the most likely problem, and you build from there). You will also loose any interpersonal skills you have (I've taken to eating my lunch in my car, so as to avoid any possible interruptions). Don't get me started on my adversion to direct sunlight...

RE: tombstone pizza

Geeez Mingez...you sure know how to ask the hard questions don't you. I tell you what...as soon as I figure it out, you'll be the first one that I share it with. :lol: I've been busy, but I'll make time for this one.

I can say I've been there too (heck, maybe I AM there). Here are a few of my own experiences that may be releveant.

I had my serious office space moment for a period of about 1 year approximately beginning 1 year ago. I was in a situation where I was making well into the six figures income and couldn't give a crap if I got fired (subconsciously, I think I wanted to and was maybe even trying to). That's not to say I was financially comfy though or ungrateful though...I was just miserable. Five years ago, I made a committment to myself that I would not ever let debt to force me to be tied to a job or responsibility that I hate...even though it wasn't an issue at the time.

Weeeeell about three years and one majorly bad investment later, I was in that precise scenario...dancing to the tune of a job I hated while, just beneath that music, I could hear the sound of several thousand in losses each month being sucked out of my wallet. I was losing money faster than I made it. Under normal circumstances, I would have quit it a long time ago to do my own thing, but I needed to hang onto it just to *slow* the financial damage. I finally quit that job last fall. This whole experience made it perfectly clear, if it wasn't before, that money isn't the key...I had been much happier when I was 21 making $20-30K with a relatively simple but enjoyable life. I think you also realize that though.

Finally I said, what the heck (WTF, actually) and started changing some things. For one, I needed to simplify my life. I lived in a fully furnished house...even cleaning was a chore...so I sold off much of my furniture and other stuff (even the TV's) and rented the house out. Now I live in a cool 1 bedroom apartment in a neat area and my only furniture is a desk, desk chair, book cases, a camp chair, bed, some *temporary* plastic stuff, and disassembled gym equipment (no room to reassemble it). Its almost dorm room-esque but I'm actually much happier with my place because its simpler. My living room now features only a desk, a chair, my hockey equipment, my stereo system, and a folding fabric camp chair. hehehehehe I'll probably break down and buy another TV soon. I'll grow up and refurnish my place eventually, but I'm in no rush to at the moment. I've also realized that many of us have soooo much stuff that we really don't need...I intentionally sheded stuff to get close to the bear minimum and will be very conscious about what I reacquire.

Oh yea, I finally got fed up with the one nightmare of an investment and I finally decided to spin it off...just listed it with an agent a couple of weeks ago. It can't sell soon enough.

That's just to name a few changes. As for career, I've personally concluded a while back that I'll NEVER be happy working for someone else...it presents too much of a constraint and I'll feel too boxed in. I think I'd go absolutely crazy. Not that it's all bad, it's just all bad for me. :D

I have committed to being financially independent (though I'm not there yet). In addition to investing in real estate, I'm also pursuing other serious business interests that will hopefully bear fruit after some time (one reason I've been soooooo busy). Even after getting burned by one by that one investment I'm going to keep investing...that one wasn't my first and it certainly won't be my last. In fact, I have my eye on the building I now live in...if things work out. :)

One component of investing in real estate that I do like, and that I hopefully plan to progress to sooner rather than later, is development. When you build something...it meets both the criteria of *creativity* in terms of imagining it and having it designed and *being able to see a finished product*. Both of which are important to me too.

I'm rambling here, but, for a job, I think the medical field could also be a good fit. I also like helping people too and seriously considered being a doctor even when I was in college...even a several years after college. My sister is a doctor and she's said that when she was in medical school, there were several doctors who were just starting med school well into their 30's. I don't think I'll be taking that course at this point, but it just goes to show that many people do.

As for what's right for you, it's ultimately a very personal question. Knowing what you know about you, litterally envision yourself in each of any jobs that you consider going through day by day, month by month, year by year routines...and knowing you, think through all the pros AND cons. Ask yourself what will begin to annoy you after a while? What will be better from your current job/situation and why? What will be the same? What will be worse? Hopefully, after going through some iterations, you will begin to get a sense of what direction you need to go in to be happy. And whatever that direction is, never say it can't be done...just go after it with all your heart. Sure, some realization has to added, but if it is possible AT ALL, don't rule it out.

I don't know if this helps but it's free, so there. :D I'll stop rambling now.

RE: Re: RE: Girl doing jumping jacks

I love sales and earn in the mid 40's without any college.

But..what I really love to do and if I was single again is be a full time dumpster diver. The money I make off of my dumpster finds funds my Jeep mods and plus people catch you diving and try and give you more money. Just a thought. :lol: :lol:

hey mingez,
okay so let me preface this by saying i'm only 22 (recently turned :) ) but i graduated with a bs in bio. i was thinking about the medical field, but from what i've seen, if i don't have a specific degree (rad tech, or nursing, or whatever) the only way i could do something worthwhile would be to go back to school for a specific job (basically my degree means nothing in that field unless i wanted to go to med school or something like that, where i'd need my degree as a basis for something else). i actually took an emt course lasting from august until december. so that wasn't too long, though i don't know what the set up is in your state.
i kind of am in the same position of not knowing what to do with my life *and have some of the same criteria as you do. i've considered psychology (took some classes in college and did some research work) and realized that psychology offers ways to help people. i don't know how interested you'd be in social work (or if that requires a specific degree :? ). or what about public relations (maybe not so rewarding)? or working for the red cross or some volunteer/ relief agency?
what about writing? your posts are always entertaining!
web design sounds cool too?
if i think of anything else, i'll post up!
whatever you do decide, good luck :D !!

_(OIIIIO)_Jeeper said:
I feel Ya bro...I just turned 43, unemployed since Oct.(Motorcycle dealership closed down) and not a clue as where to head.
Isn't introspective behavior a pain in the arse? It's such a buzz kill.

terrymason said:
You will also loose any interpersonal skills you have (I've taken to eating my lunch in my car, so as to avoid any possible interruptions). Don't get me started on my adversion to direct sunlight...
Hahahahaha. OMG that's funny. I had no idea you did this for a living. So, an aversion to sunlight eh?

mud4feet said:
How 'bout "Moob examiner"? Laughing Laughing
So...what you're saying is, I should go into Sonography?:lol:

TwistedCopper said:
We could use a good babysitter.
Okay, I'll make bleeding heart liberals out of all of them! JK. :lol:

Special_K said:
Geeez Mingez...you sure know how to ask the hard questions don't you............I don't know if this helps but it's free, so there.
I realize this was a "well if I knew the answer to this one I'd be doing it myself" kinda question. Ken, you and I have a lot in common. Thanks for your insight, and thank you more so for not charging me. :wink:

randomjeeper said:
hey mingez,
okay so let me preface this by saying i'm only 22 (recently turned :) ) but i graduated with a bs in bio. i was thinking about the medical field, but from what i've seen, if i don't have a specific degree (rad tech, or nursing, or whatever) the only way i could do something worthwhile would be to go back to school for a specific job (basically my degree means nothing in that field unless i wanted to go to med school or something like that, where i'd need my degree as a basis for something else). i actually took an emt course lasting from august until december. so that wasn't too long, though i don't know what the set up is in your state.
I looked into EMT, what did you think about that? Yeah, I noticed that about ALL of the medical stuff as well, Rad Tech's need an AS no matter what your past schooling is. And Math and Eng need to be recently taken.

randomjeeper said:
i don't know how interested you'd be in social work (or if that requires a specific degree :? ).
It requires an MSW (Masters in Social Work) My GF does that, and is a rescent graduate. Not my cup of coffee, but she loves it.

randomjeeper said:
what about writing? your posts are always entertaining!
LOL, thanks! :lol: Atleast somebody thinks so!

THANKS GUYS: Keep 'em coming, these are the best responses I've EVER had to a post. I can't tell you how much your insight is helping me. :D

I have always liked working with my hands. I few months ago I took a job of a cnc machinist. I honestly dont care too much for the job like I did my last one. I did everything from programming to welding, machining too but not every day and I never got bored of doing one thing. I was sorry to see the shop move away. This new job I am standing at a machine pushing buttons all day. Money is better but I just dont have the same job satisfaction as I did my last one. I really like a challenging job that uses all my brains and skills. I Hope you find something that you can be happy with. I think that part is the hardest. If your like me you can do anything you set out to do, it's just finding that right job that will retain your interest that can be difficult. Good luck in what ever you choose.

RE: 3in skyjacker for sale

Mingez wrote:

Hello all, I'm going thru a "What does it all mean" phase…

Ian, I would gently suggest that it is not a phase; rather, that is life. In all likelihood, you will be pondering that question as you draw your final breath.

You are pondering the imponderable.

So what to do?

Job: You might consider combining the sales skill-set of your present job and the computer and medical interests. Consider medical device sales. Medicine is going (or has gone) super high-tech. Somebody has to design, manufacture, market, instruct end-users and service all of that medical gadgetry.

Crikey! Even my dentist’s office now looks more techie than NASA Control.

My son-in-law owns a medical device manufacturing firm (heart monitors) -- a lucrative business for everyone involved, to include the sales staff.

Life: One should work to live. One should not live to work. I think that is the message that Mud and Special-K sent. I concur.

I will add that it is entirely possible to live a fulfilling life without answering the “what does it all mean” question. Let the philosophers work that out. While waiting for their answer, enjoy the only life you are going to have.

Best regards,

Gadget

PS-1:

“Life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans.”

John Lennon

PS-2: I hope this won't result in our ever seeing the "Boo-Tay Girl" superimposed on someone's MRI. :lol:

PS-3:

"Moderation, which consists in an indifference about little things, and in a prudent and well-proportioned zeal about things of importance, can proceed from nothing but true knowledge, which has its foundation in self-acquaintance."

Plato

RE: Opinions on thread

Mingez- I just wrote a big long post which is now floating around in cyber space somewhere. But, it gave me a chance to read yours again, so this time I'll cut right to the chase.
The choices in the medical field on your little list suck- all of them- so lets ignore them. They all involve hurting people, or working with people on a less than personal level, or copious amounts of phlegm- yuck.
Consider being a PTA. It's a two year degree in Physical Therapy.
Creativity- Requires you to think outside the box on a daily basis. People always want to do stuff that is impossible and it's your job to figure out how- that's how wheelchair basketball got started.
Helping people- Your patients love you, call you "my angel"- because, unlike everyone else in the building, you have the time to actually be with them.
Finished product-A lot of job satisfaction here- you know you made a difference- to them, and their families.
Fun- I am all about this! I laugh my a** off at work- you wouldn't think that to be true in a nursing home would you, but my patients are awesome and we have a great time.
Money- Here in the Smokies entry level salary for a PTA is about $21. an hour. There is a magazine called Advance- they make them for all the disciplines- Google Advance for Physical Therapists and look for jobs in your area- you guys probably make more than we do.
From what I have seen of your personality and temperment, you would make a great PT, and if you liked being a PTA, you could always use your bs to get you into the PT masters program- I have a friend who just did that. He got his teaching degree (grades too low to teach- he was a party animal in those days, got his PTA, worked for a few years and went back for his masters in PT- finished all this in his mid-40's).
Hope this helps. Let me know if I can answer any other questions.
Mudwoman

Back