changing rear yolk seal

jeeperjoe

i have an AMC20 and noticed that the yolk seal is spitting oil. this seems like an esay enough operation, but have never done it before. is there anything i need other than the seal?? and is there a trick to getting the old one out??

My manual said the AMC 20 has a Crush sleave. If you over tighten it it will screw up your bearing. I Just did mine the other day. The haynes manual said to use an inch/lbs torque wrench to check how much force it takes to turn the yolk then when putting it on tighten a little then check and so on until you get to 5 inch/lbs more than what you had. When I did mine I spun it on with an impact and it got tight and was pretty close. I did not have to mess with it.

Even with as many as we put on in our shop I would never put a yok nut on with an impact gun when tightening against a crush sleeve. If you over tighten it you ruin the crush sleeve and possible the bearings. It's not worth it. The crush sleeve will be adjusting your back lash on pinion on those. Tighten it back down with a rachet, tighten it down until it snugs up then give it an extra turn to lock the nut into place, or use an inch pound wrench and tighten to 5 inch pounds more then previous as mentioned above.

sorry I did not explain It would have taken a novel to explain why I used an impact and how I did it carefully. I second Ecor not to do it with one. I really did not have much of a choice so I took a lot of time and very carefully tightened it little bits at a time.

Back