Channel 24

I saw a Cobra one in wally world for under $40 (40 channel; the one that's small enough to fit in the space taken up by your ashtray). But you still need to buy an antena (very important component, as it will dictate the range and actual power your CB will have) and antena mount. My advice, you can go for the cheap CB radios (after all, they all have 4W of power), but dont hold back on the anterna, and buy as big as you can handle...

What's the difference between antennas? Is there any real quality difference between the ones that magnet to your roof, or the ones that hook under your hood? What about the length as well. Do you need one of those really long whips or just a little stubby thing...

The combo I mentioned before used the same 3' firestick on a magnetic mount. It worked great. Now I have a tab on the roll cage with the spring and 3' firestick. I know bigger antennas are better, but a short one is nice for not slinging around everytime a tree branch hits it. Some parks (Gray Rock in particular) do not allow the whip style antennas. They can be a hazard to spotters and spectators.

The type of antenna (and length) does matter somewhat, but for the average Joe on the trail, I'd get a cheap one. If you're really into yakking on the CB, there are millions of opinions on what type, size, material, mounting position, etc. My first CB in my old Toy PU was a 30 y/o 23 channel Midland (back in 1985) with a radio shack flexible rubber magnet mount that was maybe a foot tall. It was great for trails, because it would flex enough on most things not to get knocked off, and being rubber, it wouldn't break or bend like a fiberglass or metal antenna. I had a working range mobile to mobile of about 3-5 miles (you gotta remember, Kansas is flat, and CB's work on line of sight reception, so hilly or mountainous areas will have a greatly decreased working range), and mobile to base up to 10 miles. Later I got a set of 4' Firestiks and mounted them to the bed just behind the cab on either side, which increased my mobile to mobile range to 8-10 miles and my mobile to base up to 15 miles. Right after I got the Jeep, I got Radio Shack's little 40 channel CB (small enough for a tight fit where the ashtray goes), and a Radio Shack magnet mount metal antenna. I bought those for a tornado chase with Tornado Tim up in Nebraska. I mounted the antenna on the passenger side cowl in front of the windshield, and had the CB laying on the floor for that trip, later mounted to the dash. It had a decent range, probably 5-7 miles mobile to mobile. I later got a 4' fiberglass (Jartran? Something like that) antenna and mounted it first to my lightbar on top. I had something like a 15-20 mile mobile to mobile range with it up there! I had to keep it tied down to the hood when I wasn't using it, so I could get in the garage. That got to be a pain, so I ended up mounting it to the spare tire bump stop with a bracket I got from Quadratec or 4wd.com. Still have somewhere around 10-12 miles mobile to mobile.

Also remember that you're only going to receive as good as what the other guy is transmitting, so a $400 CB set-up isn't going to do you any good when someone in your group is running an untuned El Cheapo CB with a crappy mic.

Another option is to put twin antenas... That way you could go short and still have range. I've seen twin set ups on the front bullbars, and they worked good. It all depends on where you will be using the CB and what range you want out of it. There are a gazzilion sites out there that will explain everything you need to know...

What is DEFENETELY important is to get the antena tuned, as you can damage the CB if you dont.

Felipe

Semi-tractors are about the only thing out there that will allow you to mount a twin system with the proper distance between the antennas.
I've found the Firestick loaded fiberglass to be the best in the shortest/cheapest range as they can be easily tuned with the little stubby section under the rubber tip.
As far as magnet mounts go (not that they work so well for the CJ/YJ/TJ series) I'd have to say the Wilson 1000 is the best all around antenna.
The best performance I ever got was from a 102" whip mounted off the back bumper of my old pickup.

Semi-tractors are about the only thing out there that will allow you to mount a twin system with the proper distance between the antennas.

A fellow offroader back home had a double antena mounted on his Mitsubishi Montero and it worked really nicely...

Felipe

Back