Check tire pressure monitor message 2006 CRD

hankdz

We have two 2006 Jeeps. One a GC Laredo with the small V8, and the other a CRD Liberty. The tire pressure monitoring system check message came on in the CRD a couple of times. I called the local Jeep dealer for information. I was told to increase the pressure to at least 38 psi in cold weather to circumvent the message. It worked, however, I don't especially like the solution as the tires are now extremely hard and the ride is choppy over the slightest bump, be it a pebble or a pot hole. All that is bad enough but the main reason I don't like the solution is, with only a small load in the truck, my wife and myself, the tires do not contact the road surface properly. I see that resulting in potential safety issues as well as uneven tire wear.
Does anyone know whether the solution is the one recommended by knowledgeable people or should there be a better solution, one that doesn't risk safety and early tire replacement? The temperatures had dropped to the mid forties when I received the increase tire pressure recommendation. They are now in the mid teens. The message has not reappeared since the pressure was increased.:???:

• The Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) System will warn the driver of a low tire
pressure based on the vehicle recommended cold placard pressure (the placard is
located on the drivers side B-pillar).
• The tire pressure will vary with temperature by about 6.9 kPa (1 psi) for every
6.5°C (12°F). This means that when the outside temperature decreases, the tire
pressure will decrease - the customer should adjust his tire pressure for this
decrease in pressure - please refer the customer to his vehicle owner’s manual for
information on how to properly inflate his vehicle’s tires. The tire pressure will also
increase as the vehicle is driven - this is normal and there should be no adjustment
for this increased pressure.
• The TPM System will warn the driver of a low tire pressure if the tire pressure falls
below the low pressure warning threshold for any reason, including low temperature
effects.
• The TPM System will continue to warn the driver of low tire pressure as long as the
condition exists, and will not turn off until the tire pressure is at or above
recommended cold placard pressure. Once the low tire pressure warning has been
illuminated, the tire pressure must be increased to the recommended cold placard
pressure in order for the TPM warning lamp to be turned off. The system will
automatically update and the TPM warning lamp will extinguish once the updated
tire pressures have been received. The vehicle may need to be driven for up to 10
minutes above 25 kph (15 mph) to receive this information.
FOR EXAMPLE:
A 2006 300 has a recommended cold (parked for more than 3 hours) placard of 207 kPa
(30 psi).
If the ambient temperature is 18°C (65°F) and the measured tire pressure is 186 kPa (27
psi) the TPM lamp will be OFF.
IF NOTHING IS DONE TO THE AIR PRESSURE IN THE TIRES and the ambient
temperature drops to 20°F (-7°C) while the vehicle is parked, the approximate tire pressure
will be 157 kPa (23 psi) and the TPM lamp will be ON.
IF THE VEHICLE IS DRIVEN TO REACH NORMAL OPERATING TEMPERATURE
WITHOUT ADJUSTING THE AIR PRESSURE and the ambient temperature stays at -7°C
(20°F), the approximate tire pressure will rise to 186 kPa (27 psi) and the TPM lamp will be
ON.
To turn the TPM lamp OFF the tires must be inflated to the vehicle recommended
cold placard pressure.
• In order to properly maintain vehicle tire pressure, please refer to the owner’s
manual for additional information regarding tire inflation.
NOTE: Tire pressure should always be set based on cold inflation tire pressure
(defined as the tire pressure after a vehicle has not been driven for more than
3 hours - and in outside ambient temperature).
• Seasonal temperature changes will affect tire pressure, and the TPM system will
monitor the actual tire pressure in the tire.

If a diagnosis of the system is required (for example, the lamp did not extinguish, or the
lamp is flashing) . Please be aware that if the Wireless Control
Module (WCM) is replaced, the TPM placard values may need to be reprogrammed. The
TPM placard values do NOT need to be updated if the WCM has NOT been replaced, the
TPM placard values are properly set at the factory.

Thanks for the response. However, I've read the manual with the same message you quoted. Apparently I didn't state the entire set of facts so you weren't able to assist yet. Here is the set of facts I failed to explain.
The placard states that 33 psi are recommended for both the front and rear tires at cold temperature. My method for determining cold temperature, especially in winter, is to allow the vehicle to set outside the garage for an hour so it can acclimatize to the outside temperature. Our garage is not heated, but it is attached to the cellar and is mostly below grade so it stays warmer in winter than the outside temperature. I usually keep the tire pressure at 35 psi in the front and rear tires year round.
I introduced the subject of the other Jeep because I keep both sets of tires at the same pressure and both placards read the same. The other Jeep has not had the TPM system message. The message was that I should check the system. It was not that I should check tire pressure in any particular tire.
Now is when it is time to entertain the first writing above.
I would truly like a critical analysis of the instructions I received from the service people at the local Jeep dealer. I still am not comfortable with the increased tire pressure to 38 psi because the whole tire tread is not contacting the road surface. My discomfort is driven by both a safety issue and an economic one.
Anyone who can help, please do?
Thanks.
Hank

I would have to agree with you on the Tire inflation of 38 psi just to extinguish the TPM light. i would take it to the dealer and have them check Each sensors on the wheels and verify the Minimum and Maximum Threshholds. if any of them fails that test, that sensor would have to be replaced. have them also check for an Update for the TPM Module or Wcm ,whichever configuration you have.

SteelHeadz
Thanks. That recommendation makes a lot of sense to me. I have an appointment with a different dealer to check another issue in early January. I will have them perform those checks also.
Hank

SteelHeadz
I mentioned the fix for this in another message at the 4-door hardtop section. However, I thought it might be best to close this because it started here.
I had the appointment at the dealership and I asked them to check all four wheels and the system. As it happened, the light went on while I was driving to their location. They checked the tire pressure first and found all four tires to be LOW on air. The pressure reading they received were 24 psi in three of the tires and 28 in one of them. I had just checked them before I drove the 70 plus miles to their dealership and I had readings of 35 psi at all four. If anything they should have had higher readings due to the heat build up from the 65 mph to 70 mph driving for an hour. I didn't check the spare nor did they. The service manager told me that I might have a defective air pressure gauge. Sure enough, I bought a more expensive gauge at Sears and checked it against the pencil gauges I had. The new gauge definitely read lower. The light also stays out now and the pressure is 35 psi all around. So much for $2 gauges.

I'm Glad to hear one of the issue has been resolved. let us know how the outcome goes on the SES lamp.

Back