CJ steering problem....HELP!!!

signguy

OK, 1979 CJ5 has steering problem that is making me berserk and my mechanic run and hide when he sees me coming. The Jeep goes straight down the road no problem, but when any steering correction is needed it “darts” so quickly it is a little scary. Great fun when making a sweeping turn at highway speeds. It is seriously unsafe. Just soes you know, I am 60 years old and have been a truck driver for the last 39 years. I have roughly 3 million miles so I’m not unfamiliar with how a vehicle should handle. This is my first Jeep, a project rig, but I have owned four wheel drives all my life including short wheel base ones. I have never seen anything quite like this. We have replaced everything I can think of accept the stabilizer. Aligned and re-aligned including dialing in a little more toe-in. It acts like it has too little caster but the specs say it’s good. Like I say, all steering components are new, including the power steering box. I hope someone out there has a fix for this. I’ve put a bunch of money in this little Jeep and I really want to keep it.:(

First off, You don't steer a cj, You point it. (Joke amongst local CJers) If you have checked everything, From the steering wheel to the ball joints, and everything is tight, then i would sugest getting some shims and changing the caster. Being within specs isn't always right.

Last edited:
A few years back I took Black Betty (78 CJ 5) into the local super duper shop that has had a reputation here as doing the very best work available.
Well, after the last time I took it to them I had similar experiences, when I took 'er back to them they said that if they set the front end up without the drastic flop steer, I'd end up eating up the front tires. I said IU didn't mind as long as it'd steer and track true. A few months later I took BB to a much better shop in the next town for a leaking steering box, while they were at it I asked them to add a heavy duty box mount and pitman arm. While they were working on it they said they'd have to re set up the front end and I didn't have a problem with that. So when I got 'er back she now drives like a sedan on the roads and no problems with the steering or eating up the front tires. Turns out the first shop was merely riding on their old reputation that has tarnished over the years.

Mike-

Have you checked the steering shaft from the wheel down to the box? There are two parts to the shaft, from the box up and the wheel down. The two shafts marry together in the engine compartment with the lower shaft inserting into the upper shaft with a spline system to keep it tight; a screw or bolt is used as a keeper. Perhaps things are loose there. Also there is a small U-joint in the shaft that could be bad. Wide tires, if you have them, will track in the ruts of the road and cause the jeep some problems but this is most noticeable when going in a more straight line so it doesn’t sound like that’s the culprit.

Last edited:

Thanks for all the help.... as a last resort dialed in more caster with 2 degree shims and viola! Problem solved. It ain't perfect but it is a heck of a lot better. At least it doesn't handle like a furniture dolly anymore. :lol:

What did your caster angle end up being, I'm having the same problem with my 79 CJ 5. I also have wide tires but I'm about to see about selling or trading those.

Make sure the spring and shackle bushings are in top shape for better handling, any slop will allow the axle to shift sideways during steering input.

I have to agree with Bounty Hunter, my old girl, had horrible tracking from worn shackles and sagging leafs. I also replaced the Ujoint in the steering rod. No more erratic steering on or off the road. Next on my hitlist besides the tires, Brakes. lol, They have not been replaced since 93.

OK, Here’s what we did so far; replaced all the joints in the steering linkage, replaced the U-joint in the steering column and tightened all the bolts. New power steering box (the sector was bad). Dialed in 3/16” more toe in than specs call for, this helped the nibbling problem on my old Land Cruiser and it seems to be helping on the Jeep. Tire wear will determine if I leave it there. I’m running 10” tires. The shackles are tight but it’s on my list to replace them with urethane bushings. Checked the stabilizer and it’s still good. The only thing left was to increase the caster. We installed 2 degree shims bringing it up to about 3.4 degrees. It drives a whole lot better, even on slick roads. If anything changes I’ll be sure to post it.

Another thing you may want to look into see if there
is any play in steering it could be in the steering box it may be worn but you may be able to adjust it if its not to worn out with the adjuster nut on steering box

I would think you need to be closer to +5º on the caster. Newer Jeeps call for between +5º and +8º caster.

CJ's have locking hubs, so luckily he can fudge a little on pinion angle if needed as the front driveshaft doesn't spin much onroad. Unlike your XJ where pinion angle is much more critical.

Back