CJ7 lift with YJ springs and shackle reversal, anyone done it?

dwajeep

I want to do both these to my '79 CJ7. The shackle reversal for a smoother ride on the road & to reduce risk of frame cracking. The YJ springs to get the (again) smoother ride the wider springs of YJ reportly give. Any aftermarker approaches to do both of these that anyone has tried ? I want to run 33" tires, I figure that is about all my stock axles should handle since they are locked. Think it is worth the trouble & cost? :?:

Shackle reversals make for more of a splashy ride rather than a smooth ride. If you do both of these, I'm sure you can adapt to a more squirrelly ride.

If you want to go with 33's, a four inch spring under will clear them with ease. I would probably go with a 3 or 2 1/2 inch, get some nice, no lift shackles, and trim the fender out a little. You probably wouldn't have to mess with the drive shaft that way.

Now, if you want the ultimate splashy ride, spring over with used wrangler leafs and reverse the shackles. That would clear 33's. Of course, when you stop, you'll be able to see the floor of the car in front of you.

Been involved in a couple of these mods. We've gone with both the lift spring version and the SOA version. If you're looking for hardware check out Mountain Off Road Enterprises.

It would be way cheaper to do it your self. rather than Buy a kit. Ruffstuff ent. sells conversion shackles and you can simply purchase the 2.5" srping hangers or make them and then weld in place. Make sure you properly gusset the hanger as it will be slightly wider than the frame.

I too an not a huge fan of shackle reversals, but thats my opinion and nothing more.

Not a fan of shackle reversals. If you have a rough ride, look at the type of shocks and/or springs you're using.

3X on the "Not a fan of shackle reversals".

I pretty much 100% agree with jps & bounty on this issue and with regards to checking your type of shocks and springs because they are right about the ride quality. A huge variation like night and day depending on brand of spring and shock combination.

As a fellow CJ7 owner, my CJ has a 2 1/2" YJ spring conversion with SOA and it performs awesome on or off-road. Not the same as my TJ but very nice in its own way for what it's worth. The ride, articulation and traction are all great and I have wheeled a buddies YJ with shackle reversal so I know how that ride is. Won't do it, not for me.

Rick

Thanks for the info Rick. I seem to be getting mostly non-favourable replys about Shackle Reversal. So you like your YJ springs....I am considering doing that. Did you do that yourself, and if so did you notice a big improvement> What kinfd of improvement? Thanks again!

Thanks to all of you for the advice. Maybe I will just convert my CJ7 to YJ springs. Would be interested to hear feedback from anyone who has made that switch - how much did it change the performance. By the way- I have 32" BFG MT's now, when these wear down more I want to move to 33's. Thanks!! -don

Thanks for the info Rick. I seem to be getting mostly non-favourable replys about Shackle Reversal. So you like your YJ springs....I am considering doing that. Did you do that yourself, and if so did you notice a big improvement> What kinfd of improvement? Thanks again!

I used rear springs in the front and they ride really nice. I used stock lift shackles or maybe if they are lift it's no more than 1/2", I made them myself out of 1/4" plate. I have a spring over axle out of a Chevy 3/4 ton 77 pickup that I shortened both ends to get it at 56" wide. I put an ARB in it with 4.11 gears and used the Jeep CJ outer knuckles with MileMarker hubs and a custom high-steering that I built out of 1/2" 4130 ChroMo tubing that won't likely bend. I welded tabs to use my sway bar and I welded shock mounts on the backsides of the axle tubes to use the oringinal high shock towers as used on 82 & up CJ's for longer travel shocks. Everything looks stock like this & I will try to post a couple of pictures when I can post them so you can see how it all came together. I get really excellent flex with this system. Best of all most were very budget oriented most bang for the buck and that's what I like for my money.
The rear I used 4 1/2" lift springs and I have the standard spring under lift. Two reasons for this. First is to control axle wrap with a V8 engine, SOA lifts tend to wind up the springs. 2nd is less flex because typically it is ideal to have more flex in the front and less in the rear for trail stability. Over all, the ride in the rear is a little stiffer but the front helps balance and there's no "dive" when you brake like on a reversal.

I edited this to add that this Jeep runs a set of 32" TSL Swampers that are 32x9.5x15 bias ply with no clearance issues on 15x8 rims that use about 3-4" of backspace. Your typical black steel off road rim like what's available from any of the 4WD shops. Before I did this I checked to see if 33x12.5x15 TSL bias ply tires would fit with no rubbing in the future. I installed Poly 1" one piece lift body mount kit to clear the wider 33" tire at full stuff. The Super Swampers bias TSL usually runs 1/2 to 1 size larger diameter than most other radial mud tires as I measured the 32's to be larger in diameter than a nearly brand new set of radial GoodYear MTR 33x12.5x15" tires on the same size rims. Measuring was believing when the guy at the tire shop told me this would happen.

Rick

Last edited:
Back