CJ7 Spring Mounts WTF

Papalybbs

:???: So I finally built a jeep and did the ussual frame off and prep work for a tough trail toy. It is a 1980 CJ7 mostly stock 304/ 727/ 300/dana 30/Amc 20 with 2.5 Rancho lift springs (already installed when bought), 2 " body and 35 BFG MT.
My Question is, the spring hangers both front and rear on both diffs are different widths apart. This causes my new shackles with new bushings to lean pretty bad. This can't be normal, I figured maybe whoever installed the lift springs didn't properly locate the spring to axle connection but it looks pretty close to where it has to be. When the rear springs are attached to the rear shackle and axle only, I have to force the springs appart 3" to get them into the mount which makes the rear shackles lean. Same with the front, just not as bad. Does anybody have the width dimentions for the mounts or had a similar problem? Thanks

what do you mean by lean. side to side? or front to back?

are the axles the original axles? also, when you "frame off" did you remove the shackle hangers? they simply unbolt were they moved in any way?

This is really confusing me
I have to force the springs appart 3" to get them into the mount which makes the rear shackles lean

Honestly Pics would really help here.

They lean side to side. The bottom of the shackles lean out at all four corners. I measured the center to centers of the widths of all the mounts and they were all different by as much as 2" as well as the mounts on the axles. The spring hangers are bolted in their stock location. Do you have a CJ7 you could measure? I measured a month or so ago so I will have to re measure.

Maybe I will try to loosen the u-bolts to the axles and they might center themselves. There is probably a centering pin there, no? I probably need 3/8" to 1/2" movement. I am assuming these are the stock axles.

All CJ7s had the same spring width for the entire production run. so any D30 front or D44, m20 rear are interchangable. Older jeeps would have been narrower. I am gonna say you do not have the original axles or they are not in the original configuration. I am wondering if someone swapped YJ axles in there. what side is your front diff on? (pass or driver)

they should be. I wonder if your frame is phucked? honestly with out pics, I am baffled.

Back