Clutch Noise and Gearing Question..

montana_jeepn

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Details on my Jeep: 03', TJ, 4.0, 5spd, 3.73 (44/35), 4whl discs, 3 inch lift, with 33" tires. OD reads approx. 64,000 miles

First Question:
I've noticed that when I take off in 1st gear, I hear a noise coming from my transmission (sounds like the passenger side of the transmission). The closest thing I can compare it to would be taking several marbles and swirling them around in a jar. It seems to only do it in first gear when I am taking off. Could my clutch be going out?

I plan on dropping off my jeep at my local 4x4 shop next time I am out of town for a week or so. I already have a laundry list of stuff I am getting done, but if my clutch is going out, it would be better to do it all at once since it is my daily driver.

Second Question:
My rear axle seals are leaking and I was quoted approx. $400 to repair/replace the seals. For about twice that, I can regear to 4.10 or 4.56. I know most folks say going from 3.73 to 4.10 isn't worth it, but since I am doing it anyways, I'm not worried about the cost of it, I just want the best gearing for my application and I plan on sticking with 33 inch tires. My driving is probably 85% highway/city driving. While I get around fine with the 3.73's, I can tell that it is hard on my clutch and I would like to get it back to how it feels stock. So does anyone here have the same setup? If so, what is your gas mileage? I've seen the charts and I am really torn, so I would appreciate any personal experience. Thank you in advance.

I dont know about number 1, but number 2 seems expensive... From what I understand (have not done it myself yet, but going to) all you have to do to fix this is take out the diff cover, scrape the old seal with a scraper, put on some RTV silicone to seal the cover (from my research, some people prefer the gasket, others the silicone, but both work), screw the cover back in place, and re-fill the fluid. Should not be more than one morning worth of work...

Anyone care to correct me if I am wrong?

Felipe

Go with the 4.56, and that transmission noise sounds common (and normal from what I've read) in newer TJ manual trannies.

1st off if its your clutch you would be hearing it in all gears., it sounds like a little gear whine, take it to a good reputable transmission shop and they most likely will tell you the same...always get a second opinion.

to replace the 'rear axle seals' is nothing more than, jacking up your rear end and putting it on jack stands, pulling your diff cover off to drain the fluid , remove the rear tires, calipers and rotors and remove the four (?) bolts holding the axle on through the hole in the axle bolt plate, and pull the axles out of the way. you can now see the rear axle seals and with a screw driver you can pop them off and with a soft rubber hammer tap the new ones on.
Assemble in the reverse order, don't worry there is no clocking of the axle shafts. I do believe its 20lbs torque on the diff cover bolts not sure but your local auto parts store can tell you if there is a torque on axle retainer shaft bolts.

Bad news here but I do believe that going from 3:73 to 4:10 also requires that you change carriers as well adding to the cost of thart gear change.

Thanks for the replies fellows. I hate paying someone to do simple work, but unfortunately it is my only vehicle right now. Thanks again!

Back