Crazy Christmas lights

Gennybro

Took a break from painting toys and went out to get a breath of fresh air. Had put the christmas lights up about a week ago,had an issue with half the lights on the strand blinking and the other half staying on. Some one told me about the clear bulb with the red tip on it. So I located that and messed with it a bit , then the lights stayed on [dont know what I did] . Getting some fresh air,nice night out,all the christmas lights are on ,no blinking. Then the side that never blinked before started blinking. I'm like "what to F is this" . I'm totally confused :???:

It's probably nothing wrong with the lights but its that your brain is fried from sniffing all that paint.

The bulb with the red tip makes a portion of the strand blink. If you replace it with a non red tip bulb it should stop the blinking.

The bulb with the red tip makes a portion of the strand blink. If you replace it with a non red tip bulb it should stop the blinking.
Thanks for the info, I would like to know how this operates. my electrical knowledge is poor. I took the Ac/Dc theory class at the vocational center here,thats it. Could some one tell me how this operates? Thanks

its probably a wire that heats up and curls up a bit to break the connection and then when it cools, it drops back down?

superj said:
its probably a wire that heats up and curls up a bit to break the connection and then when it cools, it drops back down?

Right on. It is a flat piece of metal that is two different metals laminated together. One layer expands at a faster rate when heated than the other.
This causes it to bend away from the contact when it heats. When it cools it drops back down.

You may have turned the blinking off by twisting the blink-bulb, this causes the wires on the bottom to cross and make a solid connection that bypasses the blinker.

paintsanta-1.jpg

Attachments

• passedout.png
    passedout.png
    12 KB · Views: 2,453
Last edited by a moderator:
nice to see Santa still has time to hang lights
you would think after painting all the toys for all the little girls and boys he would fall fast asleep with cookie crumbs at his feet

hope everyone has a nice xmas
just found out my xmas plans go in hosp thurs operated on sat come home tues so there goes my wonderful xmas

Damn gall bladder never dull moment around holidays

oh by the way santa my little girl wants the pink one with the big ears ;)

passedout-1.jpg

Back