Differences in models...

Soap4Life

New guy here, so I apologize for what is clearly a newbie request regarding resources.
I haven't owned a jeep in several years but I'm in the process of getting a new one.
I know I want a 4-door Unlimited, but I'm looking for a resource that will explain some of the various nuances and differences between some of the models. As an example the difference between the Willy's and the Willy's W, a Sport vs Sahara, etc.
I'm not going to be doing any rock crawling (maybe a little light - very light - towing and light camping), and it won't be my daily driver, but at the same time noise level isn't a primary concern of mine. Money isn't the primary concern, so if I have to spend a little bit more to get the right model, I'd consider doing so. Any direction you can offer about searching the subtle differences in models (or if you have a model in mind based on the description above) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome to Jeepz.com

Since you're looking for a 4 door Wrangler (I'm assuming you want a Wrangler), you'll be looking for a 2007+ JK Unlimited (Unlimited = 4 doors). I've lifted the below section from wikipedia:

The Standard Wranglers are available in six trim packages (including 2 special editions). The Unlimited Wranglers are available in four trim packages (including 1 special edition). Most packages can be ordered with either hard or soft top, full or half doors("Sport" and "Rubicon" only).

The Sport base model is available in 2-door versions. It is the "bare bones" Wrangler that can be customized to a buyer's specifications by adding such options as air conditioning and other accessories. It was originally called the "Wrangler X" until 2009. Later, stain-resistant YES Essentials cloth seats replaced standard vinyl seats, an A/M-F/M stereo with single-disc CD/MP3 player and auxiliary audio input jack, and full-sized spare tire and wheel came standard on this model.

The X-S model features 32-inch tires (on 17-inch wheels), air conditioning, fog lights, cruise control, driver’s seat height adjuster, removable doors, and a fold-down windshield. It can be customized to a buyers specifications adding such options as power windows and locks, soft or hard top, rear LSD or locker(2007 only), and other accessories. It was renamed "Sport S" in 2009. Advantages over the Sport included standard air conditioning, alloy wheels, matching spare tire and wheel, YES essentials stain-resistant cloth seats, optional U Connect touch-screen radios, optional seven-speaker premium sound system with subwoofer, and optional power equipment, such as power door locks and power windows, a first on any Wrangler model.

The Sahara model is the "luxury" model offering accessories such as body colored fenders, "Yes Essentials" seats (in late 2007–2008), power windows and locks and a 7 speaker infinity sound system with subwoofer, among others. It also offered exterior-color fender flares and a gold 'SAHARA' decal on both front fenders.

Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hardtop (JK, USA)
The Rubicon is the "off-road ready" model, offering 32in BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain KM off-road tires with aggressive tread, seventeen-inch alloy wheels, and more. 'RUBICON' decals adorned both sides of the hood.

The Rubicon package is the dedicated "Offroad" package. Standard components of the Rubicon package include front and rear next generation Dana 44 axles with electric lockers, Rock-Trac four-wheel drive with 4:1 transfer case, rock rails, 32-spline rear axle with an 8.8-inch ring gear, 4.10 axle gearing, electric releasing sway bar, "Yes Essentials" seats (2007–08), 7-speaker infinity sound system, removable doors, a fold-down windshield, and any other available option can be added.

There are more special editions covered here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Wrangler

Thanks Terry! You're right, a Wrangler.
Was going to hit the Wiki trail but wasn't sure about some of the smaller detailed pieces in the descriptions and if there was a quick Jeep source that would explain them. If you feel the Wiki descriptions are solid then I'll start there.
Thanks!

Back