differential leak

X_Factor

So I got creative the other day and decided to change the gear oil in the front and rear differential for the first time. I do a lot of off-roading and figured it was about time. Followed all the instructions word for word, but now I've got a slight leak on both of them near the bottom, about a drop an hour I guess. I let the silicone sit for 10 mins. before I put the cover on just like it said. The only thing I didn't do was torque the bolts because I don't own a torque wrench. I tightened them snugly, but not overtight. Any suggestions on what I can do now short of re-doing the whole thing again and going back with gaskets?

Call me old fashion but I like Gaskets. I may add a little permatex to the stew but if I can get a gasket I try to go that route. You may try tighting them a bit on the bottom side or go and beg borrow or steal a torque wrench for the deal and see if that stops it. You can borrow one at Autozone for a refundable deposit. tug

i'm with bounty... it may be a pain to drain it again, and put it back in... but it will be the best bet... don't be afraid to use a lot of rtv... and make sure the mating surfaces of the two parts are clean and smooth, otherwise, you'll create holes

looks like, for an 00XJ at least, that the torque rating on those bolts is 30 lb-ft... you can bring those bolts to a little more than just 'snug'...

I agree with bounty and snitty both. the sure way to fix it is to reseal it. sill I would try and give her a little snugging on the bolts first to see if that will fix it first. It will not cost anything to try and it may save you a buck or two. If it does not fix the problem then open it up and start over. Good luck tug

Back