Distributor protection

Just a question here yall but has anybody ever seen a black plastic rubber boot that fits over your distributor cap to keep water out? I've heard about them before but none of my local parts stores have any idea what im looking for. And if this part is a dead end then does anybody have any good ways to waterproof your distributor? I've heard everything from silicone spray around the edge to fitting a piece of an old innertube around it.

cut a hole in corner of a gal ziplock bag put wires thru it zip tie it closed after you run wires thru do same at base of bag and your good to go

I've used some of those hazardous materials rubber gloves. They are a little sturdier and longer than normal rubber gloves. You can put a fairly small hole in one and stretch it pretty far. I did it with a fresh set of cables so the spark plug boot removal was doable, but still a pain. A larger hole and cable ties like 54cjb3 mentioned would likely be easier.
I've also installed a set of long boot silicon wires and sealed the distributor cap shut with a tiny bead of blue silicon. I also sealed the grommet for the cam/sync sensor wires.
I also sealed the top vent holl found on many of the XJ caps. Either method worked well, the sealed cap and matching blue silicon plug wires, looks a lot neater.

The vent hole is where most of the splash water seemed to get inside anyway. Second biggest leaker, was old hard spark plug and distributor boots, the longer variety silicon wires (I used Blue Max helicore) and boots seal far superior than OEM or most cheap after market.

I also use the cable tie and freezer bag trick to seal up as many harness connectors as practical. I cut the bottom out of a freezer bag to make a tube. Not a perfect seal, but better than unsealed. Most XJ harness connectors are notoriously leaky. They leak and corrosion starts or you eventually get enough ground leaks you end up with low voltage someplace.

Last edited:

Well hey thanks for the tips yall, definitely going to have to try them, had to leave my distributor off for an hour yesterday to let it all dry out again lol and yeah that vent cap is exactely where the water's getting in, the cap makes a fairly tight seal around the distributor but that vent might as well be an open hole! Anyway thanks again everbody!

tell them you want one like they put on old air cooled vw motors. that is probably where you saw one once. alot of open engine dune buggy guys will have them.

i sure could've used one yesterday. i forgot how low the distributor is on this motor till after i went through the mud hole that covered my headlights

Yes, I have seen one but I can't remember what vehicle had it.
It was a very thick rubber.
If I remember the vehicle I'll post.

I want to say it was a 1990 Taurus.
Went through about 10 cars with seven kids, so the memory is going like the cars did!

I'd go with an old inner tube, if they still exist, and a zip tie.

Well hey thanks for the tips yall, definitely going to have to try them, had to leave my distributor off for an hour yesterday to let it all dry out again lol and yeah that vent cap is exactely where the water's getting in, the cap makes a fairly tight seal around the distributor but that vent might as well be an open hole! Anyway thanks again everbody!

I started keeping a can of dry air (for cleaning out computers) in my tool box.
Had a little moisture I missed one time, after a mud bath cleanup. The motor would start and run fine, first thing in the morning. Then would start missing and eventually crap out all together as it warmed up. Took me forever to figure out that when the distributor heated up the water would evaporate and cover then inside of the cap. Let it sit overnight and it would again condense into the bottom of the distributor housing. I really should have used a flashlight the first time I checked the distributor out. I finally noticed those few drops of water in the bottom of the distributor, more luck than skill, I just happened to get just the right angle to see them.
One of those why the heck didn't I think of that, before spending hours testing every sensor, troubleshooting session.:D

our caps have a vent on them? wow, i did not know that

Yeah the can of air cleaner like they used to dust computers, I already picked up a can just incase, great minds think alike right lol but I used a gallon freezer bag around it with a zip-tie and a little tape, worked great. Drove it through the mud yesterday and the distributor stayed completely dry, got up this morning at 5am and she ran great!

Back