Electric fan???

littlesdrag

I'm building a CJ5 mudd bugg. What ive been reading lots of people recommend an electric fan over a stock. Due to if you get in deep water you can cut it off. They say the stock I'll become a propeller and pull itself into the radiator. WHAT DO Y'ALL THINK?

Every thread I can see that's start with electric fan mod say an advantage is shutting it off when it comes to water crossings and deep water. So I would say for mudding an electric fan would be a good thing. That and maybe a 3 core radiator just in case you get majority of the radiator covered in mud, your engine would stay nice and cool

I've been considering going electric myself but for fuel mileage and freein up a couple more ponys. I rode in a buddy's CJ-7 last weekend that had changed to electric, he had his on a ajustable thermostat but also had a switch where he could shut it off or turn it on and bypass the thermostat.

Ask my 84 Chevy radiators how they like the river crossing. Took 3 for me to do the swap. My xj I just added another electric got rid of the stock mechanical fan.

Thanks guys that's what I was think'n. Any suggestions on size and make? I'm guessing as large as I can get tucked in there?

littlesdrag said:
Thanks guys that's what I was think'n. Any suggestions on size and make? I'm guessing as large as I can get tucked in there?

Everyone likes to do the Ford tarus/ Lincoln fan cause the shroud covers the whole radiator atleast thats how its for the tj

I'm putting in a Taurus fan now. Found one at the junk yard for $30. I trimmed the fans shroud about 1" so it clears the water pump pully. Need to find the right wiring kit then im ready. BTW when I went to the wreckers I pulled off a 30amp fuse as well I wonder if I could use this ?

image-2843561313.jpg

The taurus fan is a popular one to use, if however you live 300 miles from a salvage yard like I do used parts simply arent an option, or perhaps you just dont care for unknown parts, the electric fan is the single best upgrade you can do, it frees up a very noticeable amount of power.

Mine came straight from the parts store formerly known as Checker, I ran it through a 30amp relay and put a kill switch in the ground (I did this so that the power to the fan would be direct and uninterupted), my fan runs all the time as long as the key is on, it used to run a little hot a low speeds in Moab when its over 100 degrees, with the electric fan, its always a very steady 210 degrees, no matter the temp -35 it was a little under lol like 200, one thing you have to be careful of is wiring, mine runs through a hole I drilled in the factory shroud and grommeted, make sure the wires arent going to be rub through and short, that can cause fires (it happened to me). The electric fan is the best thing you can do.

20111023_104304_775-1.jpg

20111023_104207_652-1.jpg

Fanswitchonoff-1.jpg

And if you get a cheap fan or have any wiring issues, this is what happens (took a 2lbs extinguisher to stop the fire)
IMG_6984-1.jpg

I do a lot of mudding here in Costa Rica. A couple of things I can say are:

1. Yes, a fan CAN become a propeller, but I have yet to see one damage a radiator as a result (ussually the radiator and engine will cool as a result of the ater, and the clutch disengages).
2. I HAVE seen the clutch fail as a result of mud getting in ther, though
3. Get a BIG radiator (much bigger than you need). The mud WILL clog the radiator, and this will diminish your cooling capacity. Many fellow club members have a second radiator behind the spare tire (mounted high) with an eFan whcih they turn on if the Jeep starts to overheat... Your heater will also work in a pinch (turn it on to max; not as good as another radiator, but better than a clogged one).
4. Use a mesh in front of the grill to slow mud from entering the radiator (obviously, this also decreases wind flow, but you have a big rdiator anyway)
5. Get a 12V waterpump and some small diameter but lomg hose. I stop at any creek, pond, etc., and use the water to clean out the radiator...

As for brand, I use a Griffin 2 row aluminum radiator with a Lincoln fan (same motor as the Taurus, but larger fan, and the shrowd fits perfectly on my radiator).

Hope this helps!

Felipe

That's a new one never heard of carrying an extra rad.

What model Lincoln are we talking about? Thanks for the great help!!!! Do you recommend running the fan continually? I'll be using my renegade for around town driving and a mud bug.

It seems there's much discussion about Taurus vs. Contour/Mystique fans. I'm preparing to go with the latter myself but I'm thinking anything's better than what I have (13" FAL w/CJ shroud)

Can anyone tell me if these are the correct relays?

7832859660_516d733d9a_c.jpg
I think the little one is the high speed fan relay

7832864670_4249f51ed9_c.jpg

...but what's up with this green one?

Last edited:
Back