Engine question

Tjrockx

Since joining this forum not long ago, already love it. The advice and tips I have gotten from previous threads as well and my own , have helped me in a big way. This brings me to my next question.
As previously stated I just bought a 97 jeep grand cherokee limited. This was my first weekend playing around with it in the garage. I had it running , with the hood up and happen to notice a knocking??? I have great oil pressure @ in the high 30's to low 40's. The motor runs great,doesn't burn oil,transmission changes gears when it needs too. Is there a thicker oil I can put in it.? sounds like its coming from the bottom of the motor. Could it be something from the exhaust manifold? I'm just curious if this is something to freak out about because I'm driving it to Ocean City this weekend on its first rd trip. 160miles one way!!!!!!

Thanks guys,anything will help!!:???:

Last edited:
could be exhaust leak or it
could be about to spin a bearing if its in the bottom rod knock bent rod
what kind of mileage is on it was the eng always maintained or neglected
these are guesses cause its hard to diagnose from a key board

from what I can tell it was maintained but its was bought USED so you never know. I know it DOES NOT burn oil,oil pressure is good . I'm just nervous because were about to take a trip in it.... Wanted to change the oil in it tomorrow before we left.anything to help??? Also its not a loud knock, just real faint and only when your accelerating with your head under the hood you can here it. Hope its something else.

thanks
could be exhaust leak or it
could be about to spin a bearing if its in the bottom rod knock bent rod
what kind of mileage is on it was the eng always maintained or neglected
these are guesses cause its hard to diagnose from a key board

it may just a ping from low octain fuel or water in the fuel kinda sounds like marbles in a rattle can

YES EXACTLY !!!!! should I start running higher oct. fuel in it? And with changing ther fuel tomorrow anything special I should use? change to synthetic maybe?
it may just a ping from low octain fuel or water in the fuel kinda sounds like marbles in a rattle can

That engine is also known for loud lifters, consider an oil change with one quart of ATF in place of a quart of oil.

Did the oil change and added some ATF to it. ran it for a few miles and I can seriously say it went away!!!!! Really really awesome!! thanks for the advice guys!!! Ready for a cooler of beer in the back,surf rods on the roof and my pretty lil wife beside me!!!!
That engine is also known for loud lifters, consider an oil change with one quart of ATF in place of a quart of oil.

Back