Engine Questions

SenorCole86

Hey guys, I'm fixing to do the 4.0 head swap. All the parts are coming in in the next week or two and I'm excited. A buddy of mine suggested that while I was at it, I might as well put a new cam in as well. This is something I hadn't thought of but it sounds like a good idea. Only thing is, I'm not too sure how much I'll benefit from a cam or even what to look for as far as rpm ranges and whatnot. What other parts would be involved that I would have to spend money on i.e. timing chain and gears, valve train components, etc. Any advice any of y'all could give me would be great. Thanks a lot, adios.

Since you're in there, go ahead and install a double-roller timing chain.

You need larger valve springs for many cam swaps, easy to do while replacing the head. New valve guides and spring retainers should also be used.

You will notice a large difference from a performance cam, it would compliment the HO head nicely.

Don't forget to port match your intake and exhaust runners with each other and the gaskets. Smooth the flow wherever possible.

Do you have any suggestions as far as type or brand of cam? I don't need the best of the best, my pockets ain't bottomless.

I would go with an RV type cam from Clifford Performance or Hesco Performance, something for good low-end grunt. The head and porting will help the high end.

Alright Bounty, about that duplex timing chain. From what I understand, they're stronger and stretch less, correct? At what point will I need one. If I do the head, headers, ported intake, and Clifford cam with their cam kit, will I be in danger of breaking a simplex timing chain? Will I ever be in danger of breaking a simplex timing chain? Any help at all would be great, thanks a lot guys. Have a good one.

I don't think it's a matter of the oem chain being more prone to breaking but being more prone to stretching.

If you get the right double roller you'll have more options on degreeing your cam properly, I believe.

Back