Enlighten Me!

bobcat481

Ok....this question probably has an obvious answer that I haven't thought of. On a limited-slip differential, power is sent to the wheel with LESS traction. Why is this? Would it not make sence to send power the the wheel with MORE traction? On-Road, or off-road, I don't see what the advantage of this kind of "tried-and-true" factory set-up would be. Am I just ignorant of the obvious, or am I missing something? Sorry, but this has had me baffled for a long time, and I've never bother to ask.

Excuse me but I do believe that your confusion may lie in the fact that you have traction power bass-ackwards. :shock: In your open diff only one wheel ever gets power and LSD to the wheel with the most traction. Least that's how I've always thought.

Ok...not to argue...but am I wrong in stating that when I fully articulate and have one wheel (rear lets say) up in the air, I have no power to the one on the ground. The one in the air spins. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems I have experianced this a few times. I've been "Catty-Wampus" in a few ditches, and as soon as I pick up of my rear tires (in 2wd), I loose power to the ground. Again, I'm, not being cross, just ignorant of the facts.

Last edited:
Ok...not to argue...but am I wrong in stating that when I fully articulate and have one wheel (rear lets say) up in the air, I have no power to the one on the ground. The one in the air spins. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems I have experianced this a few times. I've been "Catty-Wampus" in a few ditches, and as soon as I pick up of my rear tires (in 2wd), I loose power to the ground. Again, I'm, not being cross, just ignorant of the facts.

HiHood's correct. What you're describing is an open differential. If you have an LSD and that's happening, it's a sign your clutches are worn.

That's why I don't run LSDs. As long as both tires are on the ground they work OK, barely. But as soon as you lift a tire or get one in a puddle you stop moving. You can use your brakes to confuse it into giving traction to the other wheel but as it says on the spec sheet for the Detroit True Trac, it will never lock up 100%.

10-4 That's why I need lockers. You guys had any luck with lunch-box lockers? I don't want to throw too much money at this seeing that eventually I'm gonna up-grade to a D-44 or 8.8 out of an Explorer. Is the lunch box feasible/economical for the time being? OR, should I just weld it and be done? P.S. I "SHOULD" have command track, but what is weird, I pulled the diff. cover and see no clutch pack...just regular ol' ring and pinion. (maybe I'm just 'tarded!) I'm pretty sure it's the original axle (I own it second/third hand). Any thoughts on that as well?

An LSD shouldn't brake loose as easy as you've explained. There are plenty of cars that brake both tires loose on asphalt. My Power Stroke has LSD and leaves two tracks of rubber.

I have a couple of friends that have had the Aussie locker and had great luck with them. They're an easy install and fairly inexpensive as lockers go.

I ran aussies front and rear for a couple of years and really liked them but for the money you can't beat a good ole Lincoln Locker.

Back