Flipping a Jeep

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I'm looking to make some extra cash, so I figured that I'd try my hand at flipping a Jeep or two.

I've found a 97 with a 4 cyl, manual, hardtop, hard doors, and rough paint for $3200 OBO. What do you guys think that the going rate should be for this Jeep? I'm thinking that if I can get it cleaned up, and better advertised, I may be able to get 4 or 5K from it. I've also thought about selling the hardtop separate, and buying a shiny new soft top for it.

What do you guys think a base model TJ should sell for?

Once I take a look at it I'll post up some photos.

It blue books for around $ 6100 so you would have to be careful of how much to put into it. Hopefully you'll just need to freshen up the paint and not a whole paint job . Adding tires and rims if the factory size are still mounted will help attract buyers and up sale but take away from profit . Hope you can offer lower than $3000 ? The last TJ I saw for sale for less than $3000 needed an engine and reportedly minor frame work. That killed it right there for me , I didn't think frame repair and the engine swap should have netted that much $$.

Nah, I vote no to this one. From being experinced in wheeling a 6cyl to a 4 cylinder jeep. The 4cyl just dont cut it. I wouldn't bother with it.

Nah, I vote no to this one. From being experinced in wheeling a 6cyl to a 4 cylinder jeep. The 4cyl just dont cut it. I wouldn't bother with it.
If it were a keeper , I would whole heartedly agree . The 2.5 is fair on low end torque at low speed off road but the 4.0 is what shines. But since the plan is to sell it for a profit after getting it in better shape , the 2.5 is a good selling point with the manual trans fuel economy wise which is what jeeps strong points are lacking in. Chances are that whom ever buys it would likely make it their daily driver more so than flog it off road. Based on that , I think the resale stands well with the 4 cylinder. The TJ is hot number and a quick seller . I see lots of them still even with the 2 and 4 door JK's out on the road. Yeah , south of New York , 4 wheelers are used more off road since there are more trails available to the off roader but to city folks in all states who want their dependable commuter/weekend toy , the TJ is an affordable answer on a budget of a newer jeep can't be had. Just my thoughts but I've just got that feeling. But if course , I will respect the overall opinion of the buyers who look for jeeps in today's market.

Back