Ford jeeps

Back in the early days of jeep, the world known Willys was made by ford in the 50's I think and I'm looking for one of these

Due to the demand that overland could not fill, the government contracted ford to help with production. Same jeep just the bolts were stamped with an f. Can't remember where I read that but that tidbit stuck in my memory.

Very rare. It would have to be an early WWII Jeep. Ford built the same Jeep for the war as Willys but after a while the Army told Ford to take the name off of them because they considered it to be advertising.

The quickie version of Jeep history is that in the late 1930's the Army asked a number of car companies to come up with a 4wd utility vehicle. The winning proposal came from the Bantam Car Company in Butler, PA, not far from me actually. About that time WWII was ramping up and the Army figured out that Bantam was too small a company to make vehicles in the numbers needed, so they forced Bantam to give their blueprints to Ford and Willys also. Identical Jeeps were made by Ford and Willys, the early Ford models had the Ford script stamped in the tailgate. The oldest Jeep in existence is one of the original 30-some prototypes made by Bantam and is on display in the lobby of the Sen. John Heinz History Center in Pittsburgh, PA, on loan from the Smithsonian. I've seen it.

image-missing.png

http://www.oramagazine.com/pastissues/0501-issue/050113d-old-iron.html

That's really interesting, I was unaware of that little gem of trivia. Although it does not help me answer the question at all haha p0p

JohnnyO said:
Very rare. It would have to be an early WWII Jeep. Ford built the same Jeep for the war as Willys but after a while the Army told Ford to take the name off of them because they considered it to be advertising.

The quickie version of Jeep history is that in the late 1930's the Army asked a number of car companies to come up with a 4wd utility vehicle. The winning proposal came from the Bantam Car Company in Butler, PA, not far from me actually. About that time WWII was ramping up and the Army figured out that Bantam was too small a company to make vehicles in the numbers needed, so they forced Bantam to give their blueprints to Ford and Willys also. Identical Jeeps were made by Ford and Willys, the early Ford models had the Ford script stamped in the tailgate. The oldest Jeep in existence is one of the original 30-some prototypes made by Bantam and is on display in the lobby of the Sen. John Heinz History Center in Pittsburgh, PA, on loan from the Smithsonian. I've seen it.

http://www.oramagazine.com/pastissues/0501-issue/050113d-old-iron.html

That's the kind of jeeps that I'm into and early American history lol but hey I'm
Into restoring any vehicle that I can find and turn it into a top dollar vehicle if possible

Theirs about 5 of them on ebay
hope your ready to dig deep

The M-151 (1960's) "Jeep" was also built by Ford to replace the M38, but these are extremely rare in the civvy market.

Back