Gas LEAK!!!!AHH

K_K_PSI_GUY

Okay, it should not be that big of a deal. I was headed out of town when I noticed a strong gasoline smell. I figured I had probably spilled some or overfilled it, so I kept going. When I arrived to my destination, the smell got even stronger. I inspected the fuel filter area and the gas tank and I did not see anything, so I left my Jeep and went to take care of some business. When I was ready to go home I looked under to see if there was a puddle of gas or something and I saw nothing. When I got home, I got my mag-Light and inspected my Jeep again and I found the leak! The leak is coming from the top of the gas tank. I am figuring it is probably the fuel line coming from the gas tank to the fuel filter. The funny thing is that that specific fuel line has already been replaced when the Jeep was only 6,000 mi old.
Has anybody had problems witht their YJ and newer Jeep fuel lines going bad.
I was thinking of just replacing them with fuel lines from Autozone. Is that a good idea or does anybody have any advice over this topic.

I am going to do the gas tank mod to make my tank a 20 gal tank.
Anything I can take care of while I'm under there.
I was thinking of replacing the sending unit from the tank, but that will depend how much it is.

Thanks for your help.

There is an o-ring on top of the gas tank that seals the pump to the tank. Sometimes it can bust or rot or whatever, and not hold the seal. I'd be willing to bet the o-ring is the culprit.

Next time your tank is low on gas, run it down to fumes... or close to it. Go to the stealership and get the o-ring (might as well buy a new in-tank fuel filter while you're at it). Drop the tank. Replace o-ring (and optional filter, some call it a fuel sock.)

Hopefully this will cure your probs.

C

I wouldn't change the sending unit unless it needs it. If you're set on it, get one for a 4.0L 20gal. tank so the gauge reads accurate after you modify the tank. Mine still reads full for 125 miles, but no big deal, it's accurate after that. I picked up a used 20gal sending unit but can't make myself put it in.

Just had the same problem with my 92 yj. Dropped the tank and found the metal fuel line that comes out of the sending unit/pump had rusted through, just a pinhole but enough to make it smell big time. This tube is not very big so a light sand and some soft solder solved the problem. Much cheaper than a new unit. Pain in the butt dropping the tank though.

Well, actually, I am worried that my Jeep will catch fire so I do not want to drive it around like that. I have a full tank (almost) , so I'm gonna have a lot of trouble with it. After I got my Jeep I gave out my floor Jack to a friend thinking I would not need it, but that prooved to be a bad idea. The weather was crappy today, so I could not work on my Jeep today, but tomorrow looks pretty good. Thanks for reminding me about O-ring. I had forgotten about it.

Bounty,

I run out of gas as soon as it hits the red area, so I figure it is not working properly. It works well the rest of the time, so it may have something in there not that is not calibrated, buit I guess I check and see when I drop the tank.

I wouldn't drop that tank if it's more than 1/2 full. If you're not puddling gas, then I wouldn't be concerned about a fire. Carry a fire extinguisher just in case. This should be a given.

If you're gonna drop the tank, replace the o-ring. It's like dropping the transmission and not replacing your clutch plate.

C

I'm still worried about my gas tank catching fire or exploding so I think I may just have to find a way to get some of the gas out into some large gas tanks. I go a hold of some jacks and jack stands for the tank ,so it should not be that big of a deal. I'll let you all know what happens. I am going to try to get under there today and get my Jeep running again.-al

Okay, dropped my tank, checked all the lines and seals. Replaced worn out lines and made my tank into a 20 gal tank (gas tank mod). I still have to wait on driving my Jeep because I had to replace an elbow hose on the fuel filter and I was not able to get it at Autozone. I am anxious to see iof the gas tank mod worked and also see if I installed everything back correctly. I would hate to break my fuel sending unit or something. Damn I'm tired.-al

Back