gas prices

"Sandwhich" or "Sammich"

In "recent" I meant in the last week or so when the prices busted the $2.20 mark, as that is what is supposed to have caused it. The Texaco fire was last month, and was already blamed for a $.30 hike in prices.

Oilman for President.....yeah.....that's where I'll lay my bet. Too much stock in oil companies to have congress do anything about the cost of fuel...and the rich get richer......

90xjay, you were definitely right when you said it wasn't the fault of the local gas station. All too many times, people think that's who sets the price of gasoline, and the poor towel-head inside takes the brunt of the anger. In fact, convenience stores make less than a penny per gallon of gas. Their profit comes from the soda, candy, and breakfast bagel you buy when you stop for gas. Now the convenience stores are hurting, because people are doing more carpooling, doing less driving, using less gas, so they are buying fewer day-old hotdogs from the back counter.

Back to the answer: Nobody can tell me that we're being opressed by OPEC. We've got more than enough of our own, and if our pres wasn't an oilman (along with half the senate and congress holding shares in it), the government would damn sure do something to bring the prices back down; it's been done before by another president (and I won't even mention who or what party because I don't want the same old tired debate). Suffice it to say, we are being bent over a barrel and pummelled in the puckerhole.

Just an observation, but I haven't seen many drivers slowing down to conserve yet. I hear whining about the price of gas but as I drive about 60 on the thruway I have people in huge SUVs going by at least 80. I don't think we're ready to do anything about it yet, just a little whimpering for now. I was driving while the gas shortages (both) were happening in the 70s.......not a pretty picture.

RE: TFI upgrade Q

Acetone in your fuel ...I am testing this after reading NUmerous articles. 15-35 % increase in mileage

Stuck line truck

Oh ya, I think i'm going to try that acetone thing in my Chevy. Many people have claimed it works, and there's even been a few "studies" on it claiming it does work (and no, they weren't done by acetone manufacturers!!).

Ritt, you made a very good point! It's like people see their vehicle gets "x" miles per gallon, so they think they'll get that no matter what speed they're going.

Now that i've got an SUV for a daily driver (which gets 11-12 mpg), I've really changed the way I drive. And, I'm especially carefull in the Chevy (which gets about 5-6 mpg on the highway).

Oh come one, some people would blame bush if a meteor hit the earth. The price is up partly because demand is up, and partly because other countries like China are eating up the supply. The speculators on the exchanges are freaking out and bidding the price up on oil because there MIGHT be a shortage. Airlines are buying up tons of fuel trying to lock in the current price in fear that it may go up even higher. If you think the oil companies are charging unfair prices there's a very simple solution; stop buying gas. If any of you owned an oil company or were running an oil company would you be selling your oil cheaper than market value? I didn't think so.

RE: wrangler rims on a xj?

I also heard that if you put a 1/2 gallon of alcohol in your tank before smogging the vehicle it will pass with flying colors. However, I don't know how quick I'll try either of those. I would like to see hard data and talk to someone that has done it and lived to tell about it.

wm69 said:
If any of you owned an oil company or were running an oil company would you be selling your oil cheaper than market value? I didn't think so.

Yeah, I probably would. I've learned a long time ago in business that you make more money in the long run if you undersell your competitors. Simple business tactic.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: "Sandwhich" or "Sammi

88Wrangles said:
Ritt, you made a very good point! It's like people see their vehicle gets "x" miles per gallon, so they think they'll get that no matter what speed they're going.

Now that i've got an SUV for a daily driver (which gets 11-12 mpg), I've really changed the way I drive. And, I'm especially carefull in the Chevy (which gets about 5-6 mpg on the highway).

I think it's my age, but I finally figured out that if I leave the house 10 minutes earlier I don't have to rush or drive fast. :D

RE: Fuel pump?

Ritt said:
88Wrangles said:

I think it's my age, but I finally figured out that if I leave the house 10 minutes earlier I don't have to rush or drive fast. :D

Knowing that my YJ gets about 15-17 mpg on the highway at 75 and 20-22 on the backroads at 55, I don't mind spending an extra 20 minutes getting to work in the morning or getting home in the evening. Besides, there's less traffic, and I have more time to enjoy the scenery, such as the beautiful Kansas sunrises and sunsets (except that I have to drive into the sun both ways and am pretty much blind by the time I get there). Also, no clutch-dumping, drag-racing style starts, and a lot of coasting up to stop signs. It's still pretty chilly in the mornings, cold enough to need the heater, but I only let the engine warm up for 20 or 30 seconds now, just long enough to bring the oil pressure up. Before, I'd let it set for 10 or 15 minutes to warm up the inside before I left.

So, yeah, I'm doing a lot to conserve gas. Not for the world, but for my pocketbook. There's probably a lot more I could do, but I don't want to get too radical. I'd carpool, but my hours are way too unpredictable for that. I plan on getting an electric fan for the YJ soon. I wish I still had my '91 Honda Civic. I bought it from a co-worker a few years ago for $1600 with 178,000 miles on it. It got between 40 and 45 mpg whether I ran it hard or easy, ran the A/C or not, etc. Plus, it was a blast to drive! It was in great shape for the age and miles, except that when it hit 225,000 miles or so, 4th gear started to go out. I sold it to another co-worker for $500 at that point (also needed a new distributor, but still ran great). I figure with all the fun I had and the gas I saved, it was worth taking a hit for $1100 when I sold it.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: "Sandwhich" or "Sammi

jumppr said:
I'd rather get me one of those wind turbines on my property. Can one power my house? I'd even paint it all pretty like too. Actually, I am working on a way to teleport myself from one place to another. It's a slow and expensive process. If any of you'd like I'll take donations to help further my research. :lol:

Gee if I had the money (maybe I can quit work so I don't have to drive there) I'd be with you on both of these. I really like both the ideas! lol

Lady

RE: paint hardtop at maaco?

Ooh, gas went down! It's been holding steady at about $2.27 around here, but I got it at Costco this morning for $2.14, seen it around town for $2.17...

$2.14... My Reliant driving, junior in high school, paying 90 something cents a gallon self is kicking my ass for thinking that's a bargain...

When I started driving, gas was between 49 and 59 cents a gallon. I can remember the days when it was 29 cents a gallon.

I dont remember the $0.29 days but I do remember filling up the jeep in highschool paying with a $20 and still having enough left over for a taco bell dinner.

RE: In need of vacuum actuator for a 95 yj

But that was back when Taco Bell wasn't so darned expensive too... Man 5 bucks could fill ya up!

D44 Carrier

Taco bell still isnt bad. I can eat myself silly for $6-7

40 Years.......Today

Yeah, but I get a major craving for those Zesty Chicken Bowls, and they're not cheap, particularly when you get really really really hungry...

Too bad Jeeps don't run on taco grease from the Bell. No shortage there :lol:

There is only one to blame: Cheney. Just ask John Kerry he'll tell ya the truth :roll:

Seriously now...

The reason we pay through the nose for gasoline is plain and simple. High demand, and the fact that OPEC is virtually a monopoly who dictates the supply as they see fit.

Time to start drilling in Alaska. Add supply and competition, and the prices will go down. We wouldn't have to go crazy with it, but make a showing that we could if needed. What are they waiting for, the rest of the world to run out? If we were left with the only productive oil wells we would be attacked from every direction. Drill it now and before we all start running out we can begin to implement technology that should have been started 20 years ago to limit the need for so much oil.

Damn I wish I was running this show :twisted: I know, I scared most of you with that one.

judge09 said:
I dont remember the $0.29 days but I do remember filling up the jeep in highschool paying with a $20 and still having enough left over for a taco bell dinner.

haha, same here. (I'm only 18, so I never saw the $.29/gallon days). In high School I would always carry a $20 with me, cause I knew no matter how much gas I needed, a $20 would be plenty to cover it....and I'd still have money for food.

Now, I don't really like carrying around $50-60 in cash!!! I just got back from filling up 2 of my vehicles, then I took my dad's Peterbuilt and filled it up. Ouch, I think I need to go find a few more jobs now :roll: :roll:

Re: RE: Want to buy a New Liberty.......what are your though

mmmmmm, Taco Bell is good though.

I got lucky though. My friends Grandpa owns all the Taco Bells around here, so I just go with him to eat all the time. Nothing like free- all you can eat Taco Bell!!!!

Back