gas prices

When I first went to college, in Delaware, gas was .99 cents a gallon. I've never forgotten it. I was seventeen. Taco's used to be under a dollar too. Taco's are like 1.89 here now. Man were going downhill for sure. lol

Lady

Re: RE: 40 Years.......Today

LJF,

What year was the gas .99 cents? I am guessing 1998 to 1999.

I remember that very well, wholesale prices were about equal to what the state and federal taxes were here in Texas. .40 cents for gas + .384 cents for state and fed taxes.

yeah, alot of oil-field workers and jobs around here went away. Alot of people were out of work and the local economy went south in a hurry.

I guess when you think of things on that scale, just about any time you can buy anything really cheap, be it beef, fuel, milk, some industry somewhere is hurting as a result or I should say , the cheap price is the result of the industry hurting.

Re: attn: Robrt-Stephens

wow, that's not even that long ago, but it's hard to even imagine the signs outside a gas station saying .99 cents!!!!

No kidding. There's like a million different types of Tacos!!

It sure makes things complicated when your really hungry and need to make a decision fast!

Taco Tico beats Taco Hell anyday!! Ya go to eat at Taco Hell, and your lips and hands are stained a nasty orange the rest of the day from all the dye they put in their horse meat to make it look red like hamburger. Besides, Taco Tico has 39 cent tacos on Sunday!! And they give me gas.....how's that for staying on topic?

Do you still have?

lol I have never heard of Taco Tico Sparky! lol The soft taco supremes at Taco Hell were those I was referencing!

Also, that year that gas was .99 cents was in 1991 or thereof. It does seem unreal now to think of it. Makes me feel real old actually. lol In MD, back home they were just over a buck, like $1.02 to $1.04 but always under a dollar in DE.

I remembered the prices so well, because I moved away to college about three hours north and in the first semester, I drove home every weekend to work. I was always buying gas.

Lady

Unfortunately, here in Michigan, I have never heard of a taco tico... Just as you might not have heard of Jimmy John's (sub sandwich place)... But, I don't like ground beef, so it's all about the pasteurized process bean-paste... Mmmmm...

I like the chicken too, but after I bit down into a lovely bit of bone in one of my Chalupa, I am off that for a while too.... Eeeewwwwww....

I've never heard of Taco Tico either Sparky. But I'll tell you Taco Bell does use real beef and none of that fake crap.

I gassed up in Wheatley AR about 10 years ago for .78/gallon. I remember it well as I had about 3/4 of a tank left and said to myself "I'm gonna top off just so I can say I've bought gas for under .80/gal. What's really sad now is people (including myself) are getting excited to see gas at $2.10-2.15/gallon

A word to the wise.

8 oz can of dog food = .99 cents

Taco (or any food item not prepared in front of you) =.39 cents

Be afraid, be very afraid..... :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

RE: Dual battery system...

gass prices hit 1.08 per litre today :
1 liters = 0.26 gallons
1 cnd = .8285 us

1gallon = 3.79 L
there for i'm paying 4.09 cnd for 1 gallon
making me pay 3.39 us for 1 gallon (i think if i've done my math correct, last time i didnt)
gas makes me cry :( i think i need to hook up with nick and have him make my jeep battery powered

To tie in both gas prices and tacos. I remember in high school that I could fill the jeep up and still have money for tacos all with $20. (we are talking 1996ish)

Gas prices in Vermilion, OH are $2.70 = 1 US gallon
Here in Austin, TX it's $2.47 = 1 US gallon
Gas prices when I started driving..... oh, god do I feel old now.... were $.99 in the summer of 2000!

RE: Ideal tire size

OK, for all you folks feeling old...........the cheapest I ever bought gas was $0.239/gallon.........during a "gas war" in the early, early 70's (prior to the Arab Oil Embargo). Competing gas statioins on adjacent corners used to "war" with each other with the prices.......one drops a penny......next day other drops 2 pennies......next day another drops 3 pennies.........Oh, those were the days!!! A buddy of mine in high school had a VW bug......four of us would chip in a quarter a piece for gas and we'd drive all night long.

So..........tell me about feeling old!

Class of 1971,
mud

Re: New wheels

If it makes any of you all feel better I heard on the news today that gas is 5 cents a gallon in Iraq right now.

$2.59 at the corner station, $2.33 near the house in PA.

Gadget goes into old-guy reverie and remembers:

Pumping gasoline at 23-cents per gallon and giving a customer S&H Green Stamps in the amount of his/her gasoline purchase ...

A fill-up (defined as 10 gallons or more) got you ...

A drinking glass, with the big red Texaco Star logo

Oil checked and added, if required

Fan belts checked

Tires checked, with air added, if required

Windshield washed, needed or not

Free road maps

A tip of my official Texaco hat and a "thank you" when your tires rang the garage bells as you departed the station.

Nobody drove to Taco Bell, Mickey D's, Burger King or the like because they were yet to be invented.

Instead, we drove to the A&W where the food was not great, the root beer was great, but food and root beer didn't matter because A&W had car hops of the female persuasion on roller skates.

Regards,

Reeking of Havoline and saturated by root beer, Gadget

RE: brake me off a piece...my weekend

Wow, 2.50 sounds great compaired to what I am getting. It's 2.89 for 87 and that is the cheapest I have found round here. And I have seen high test for over 3.10 and that's not in needles california! This is BS!

A&W damn, my stomach just rumbled.. I want a float. 2.47, just filled my tank for the trip to AZ (AZVJC anniv run this weekend). Wonder what it will in Phx, 360 miles away. Ahh. trail time cometh

The local paper reported about how horrible gas prices were in this area. At the time, the gas prices were 2.49. That night at 6pm (while the papers were at press) it went up 20 cents. So while the papers were complaining about what a fleecing the prices were at 2.49, the prices were up to 2.69...in small town Las Cruces, NM!!!

Sheesh, this is getting ridiculous. I'm gonna have to start riding my bike to work. Maybe a motorcycle...hmmm.

Back