HEI question

sweetpeet

hey guys, so I just bought a HEI distributor for my amc 360. but its really huge(i mean like double the size of the stock amc) and doesn't have alot of room for twisting it when I need to change the timing. does anyone know if it is suppose to be that big or do I need to return it?

The one i have is the same size found on a Chevrolet 350. The coil is inside the distributor pack and thats the reason why its so big. I clocked mine where the vacuum advance is facing the front towards the radiator. This will give you enough room to calibrate the timing.

The one i have is the same size found on a Chevrolet 350. The coil is inside the distributor pack and thats the reason why its so big. I clocked mine where the vacuum advance is facing the front towards the radiator. This will give you enough room to calibrate the timing.

but I was told that the HEI needs to be put in with the vaccume facing the first pistion

I put one on my 360 and love it. I got it from Zach at Z &M in Ohio. Yes, it's tight, but it fits. Here are some pics that might help you.

Attachments

• IMG_4126.JPG
    IMG_4126.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_4127.JPG
    IMG_4127.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_4128.JPG
    IMG_4128.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 181
I put one on my 360 and love it. I got it from Zach at Z &M in Ohio. Yes, it's tight, but it fits. Here are some pics that might help you.

the pictures you have poster have been helpful! can you post some more of how you hooked it up??

Actually it wasn't that difficult. Had my "mechanic" son help me. We took off the old dist. cap and noted how it lined up (where #1 was pointing); then we pulled the old dist., removed the bottom gear and placed it on the HEI, inserted the HEI and locked it into place, again, noting where #1 pointed. Replaced the cap on the distributor and connected the red wire to a 12V source. (the black wire goes to my tachometer). Fired up the Jeep and made minor adjustment to get a good idle. I love this thing, especially in that it cleaned up the engine compartment. Got rid of the coil, the cumbersome Ford electronic block and a resistor block. All those electronics are included in the solid state component in the cap of the HEI.

I like to go to the PA JEEP SHOW in York, PA (July 17 & 18 this year) and check out the swap meet. One vendor I always stop at is Z&M Jeeps (zmjeeps.com) He deals mostly in full sized Jeeps but has lots of parts. I got my H.E.I from him a few years ago.

I just did the same thing in my '74 CJ5. I have the 304 engine. I bought a Mallory HEI from Summit but it didn't fit right and required the main shaft be drilled so I sent it back and got one from another company. It was a Pro Sport or something like that. It cost a little more than the Mallory but it was ready to drop in. It's a tight fit but now I no longer have points to deal with. My Jeep runs better now and I'm sure the reliability is a lot better too. For a couple hundred bucks I think it is well worth it. It'll fit.

I installed the Accel HEI on my 360. It is larger than stock but I have not had any issues with setting the timing.

Back