high revs

abe

hope u all had a wonderful Christmas. OK now on to the bad news i started my 97 TJ 2.5 last night after work and the motor just revved up and stayed there right around 2200 rpm. at first thought i was thinking that the tps sensor but this morn when i started it up and took the intake o the throttle body i did not notice nething out of the ordinary? i was thinking map sensor now but i limped it home last night from work and im not about to try and drive it to the parts store. have ne of u had this problem? I guess i just need some guidance on where to start also i was looking for a vacuum leak thought that may have caused it. thanks. :???:

yeah the check engine light is on but i dont have nething to scan it with at the moment and most of my friends r at work today so i dont have a ride to get it checked.

You should be able to pull them yourself, without a scanner. Just do the following:

* Turn the ignition key ON THREE TIMES in succession:
ON : OFF : ON : OFF : ON
(within FIVE seconds)

* Count the number of times the check engine lamp on the dash flashes. The number of flashes represents the error code. There will be a short pause between the flashes representing the different digits of the code. Longer pauses separate individual trouble codes.

* Code 55 will be the last code to be displayed.

* These codes will also be displayed on the odometer

Last edited:

sweet give me a sec and ill let u know the code

ok i was wrong i did it a few more times "with patients" and got the codes 12 14 55

1997 Models:

11 No crank reference signal detected during engine cranking. Intermittent loss of either camshaft or crankshaft position sensor. CKP sensor target windows have too much variation.

12 Direct battery input to PCM was disconnected within the last 50 Key-on cycles.

13 No difference recognized between the engine MAP reading and the barometric (atmosphere) pressure reading from start-up.

14 MAP sensor input above or below acceptable voltage. 5 volt output to MAP sensor open.

15 No vehicle speed sensor signal detected during road load conditions.

17 Engine did not reach operating temperature within acceptable limits. Engine does not reach 20º F. within 5 minutes with a vehicle speed signal.

21 Upstream oxygen sensor response slower than minimum required switching frequency. Upstream oxygen sensor heating element circuit malfunction. Downstream oxygen sensor heating element circuit malfunction. Downstream oxygen sensor input voltage maintained above the normal operating range. Oxygen sensor voltage too low, tested after cold start. (Upstream or Downstream) Left oxygen sensor input voltage maintained above the normal operating temperature.

22 Engine coolant temperature sensor above or below acceptable voltage.

23 Intake air temperature sensor input above or below acceptable voltage.

24 Throttle position sensor input above or below acceptable voltage. TPS signal does not correlate to MAP sensor.

25 A shorted or open condition detected in one or more of the idle air control motor circuits. Actual idle speed does not equal target idle speed.

27 Injector #3, and/or 4, and/or 5, and/or 6 output driver does not respond properly to the control signal.

31 An open or shorted condition detected in the A/C clutch relay circuit. Insufficient or excessive vapor flow detected during evaporative emission system operation.

33 An open or shorted condition detected in the duty cycle purge solenoid circuit.

34 An open or shorted condition detected in the Speed Control vacuum or vent solenoid circuits. Speed control switch input below the minimum acceptable voltage.

37 Relationship between engine speed and vehicle speed indicates no torque converter clutch engagement. An open or shorted condition detected in the torque converter part throttle unlock solenoid control circuit. Incorrect input state detected for the Park/Neutral switch. Auto only.

41 An open or shorted condition in the generator field control circuit.

42 An open or shorted condition detected in the auto shutdown relay circuit. An open condition detected in the ASD relay output circuit. An open or shorted condition detected in the fuel pump relay control circuit. An open circuit between PCM and fuel gauge sending unit. Circuit shorted to voltage between PCM and fuel gauge sending unit. No movement of fuel level sender detected.

43 Peak primary circuit current not achieved with maximum dwell time. Misfire detected in one or more cylinders 1 thru 6. (4 and 6 cyls.)

44 Battery temperature sensor in voltage above or below acceptable range.

46 Battery voltage sense input above target charging voltage during engine operation.

47 Battery voltage sense input below target charging during engine operation. Also, no significant change detected in battery voltage during active test of generator output circuit.

51 A lean air/fuel mixture has been indicated by an abnormally rich correction factor.

52 A rich air/fuel mixture has been indicated by an abnormally rich correction factor.

53 PCM Internal fault condition detected.

54 No camshaft signal detected during engine cranking.

55 Completion of fault code display on Check Engine lamp.

63 Unsuccessful attempt to write to an EEPROM location by the PCM.

64 Catalyst efficiency below required level. (Same as code 72)

65 Power steering high pressure seen at high speed. (2.5L only)

72 Catalyst efficiency below required level. (Same as code 64)

77 Malfunction detected with poser feed to speed control servo solenoids

You may want to inquire about the return policy when you buy that MAP sensor ;-)

From what I've read, this is normally caused by a vacuum leak. Check the vacuum line going into the MAP sensor. If it's fine then start looking around for a vacuum leak in the engine.

will do that too thanks man for the help

How did the TB and IAC look when you had it off? You might take the TB off and the IAC off the TB and clean them both.
Did you have the battery disconnected? Might verify the battery voltages and clean the terminals really well. Revv may be from the PCM increasing RPM for alternator to charge.
Typical Vac leaks are the HVAC line off the intake. Check this from intake to below battery vac reservoir. Do you have vent selection control? That is a good indicator.
Another vac leak area is at the intake to TB area. If you had that off lately be sure the gasket is good and intact. You could spray some TB cleaner around the TB base and near each intake to cylinder connection area.

Check the connectors to the TPS and IAC.

I plan on going over it tomorrow I was told to clean everything also I will forsure thanks. I did most of the checks on the vac leaks I don't see nething that looks out of place. And things feel tight.

I didn't explain one thing well, so maybe you got it, or knew it, or didn't. After inspecting all the vac leak areas, with the engine running, spray around the base of the TB and near each cylinder and the vac lines with TB cleaner. Do this slowly and listen for the engine to change rpm's or stutter.

abe said:
Jeep TJ Diagnostic Codes found a awesome set up thanks i had no idea how to check the codes now it looks like ill b replacing a map sensor. sucks but not too tuff thanks terry.

Dang that sucks I thought I had to replace my map sensor and went to see how much it was and it was gonna be 100 dollars but in my case it was one of those rare cases were jeep changed sensor mid production and I could stuck with the more expensive part. But it turned out that it wasn't even my map sensor (lucky me)

OK up and at it this morn. I talked with my good friend last night who just happens to b a master mechanic. he mentioned that it was probly not the map sensor. Gave me a good reason y its not the MAP and said that It is probly the IAC or idle air controller that stuck and when I messed arround yesterday it came loose. He also told me that I could have fixed it with Carb cleaner and a toothbrush. I kinda wish I could have talked to him a lot earlier yesterday. O well eigther way the Jeep is running again and I'm happy.

How did the TB and IAC look when you had it off? You might take the TB off and the IAC off the TB and clean them both.
Did you have the battery disconnected? Might verify the battery voltages and clean the terminals really well. Revv may be from the PCM increasing RPM for alternator to charge.
Typical Vac leaks are the HVAC line off the intake. Check this from intake to below battery vac reservoir. Do you have vent selection control? That is a good indicator.
Another vac leak area is at the intake to TB area. If you had that off lately be sure the gasket is good and intact. You could spray some TB cleaner around the TB base and near each intake to cylinder connection area.

Check the connectors to the TPS and IAC.

OK up and at it this morn. I talked with my good friend last night who just happens to b a master mechanic. he mentioned that it was probly not the map sensor. Gave me a good reason y its not the MAP and said that It is probly the IAC or idle air controller that stuck and when I messed arround yesterday it came loose. He also told me that I could have fixed it with Carb cleaner and a toothbrush. I kinda wish I could have talked to him a lot earlier yesterday. O well eigther way the Jeep is running again and I'm happy.

Well I'm glad you followed the advice you got and fixed it.

Always man always thanks saved me $$ and I love this site. Now if I could only make money by jeepn?? LOL thanks y'all

Back