Hub Centric Rings

outsideworld

I am sure you guys dislike when someone is new and does not know where to post something but here it goes anyway. I just got a "new" 99 wrangler. Everything is pretty much stock. My first thing was to add new tires and wheels. I went with 32" tires and decided to get some basic steel wheels to go with me since my OEM wheels lookEd pretty scary. I got the new ones from a customer who gave me a deal. I am not a car guy so I took them to the local shop to get them installed. I was told that I would need to add a hubcentric ring to make the wheels work. My friend that I got them from responded with:

I have talked to several of my wheel guys today and none of them ever use hub centric rings on any of their Jeep installs. With that said finding rings that will work has been a booger, and in doing so we have identified another problem.

Hub centric rings are not made to be used with wheels that have center caps that come thru the back of the wheel. The space that the center cap goes thru would be taken up by the hub centric ring, and therefore you will not be able to install your center cap. You will notice in the below photo that the ring is made to slide into the wheel's center hole, as a space filler and onto the axle hub. If you have the ring installed, there is no place for the cap to go.

Hub Centric Ring

Again, I have found rings that would work (without cap installed). They would be about $26 delivered and can be ordered from Summit Racing: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GOR-82-7150/, However, I don't think this is going to accomplish what we want to accomplish.

My non-professional, and several colleagues professional opinion is to install the wheels lug centric, make sure they are torqued correctly to spec, and you will never have a problem.

Is this actually ok or is he just trying to get out of a problem.? Any help would be appreciated

Welcome to Jeepz.
We don't mind newbies at all, in fact you'll see me asking more questions than I answer around here. Feel free to post any questions you have - I've moved your post to it's own thread.

As to your hubcentric question, I'd just install them without hub rings. If you get vibrations then you can go back and buy some hub rings. Most wheels today (at least in the Jeep world) are lug centric.

Do you know the manufacturer and model of your new wheels?

Back