I have a little project and I could use some Ideas....

BelleNoir

I am currently six months pregnant with our first and my husband told me that I either find a way to make my jeep safer for the baby or we will have to sell her. She's my baby too and I REALLLY DO NOT WANT to get rid of her. Unfourtunatly, we are on a tight budget so I gotta think a little redneck( I have the right color duct tape and all). Basically... she has a soft top, not factory, that has some gaps and is really cold in the winter. i need to find a way to make her more insulated. I have to figure out how to get some heat to the back and how to "unfog" the windows. Any ideas or experience would be extremely helpful!!!

I am currently six months pregnant with our first and my husband told me that I either find a way to make my jeep safer for the baby or we will have to sell her.

:shock: Sell the baby? Wow you are a dedicated Jeeper! HaHa just kidding. I'm no expert on YJ's but I think sealing that soft top so there are no gaps is the first step. Have you considered an additional heater like this? I know you're on a budget but it's cheaper than a new vehicle. Good luck and congrats on the baby.

I'd be nervous about the backseat heater, unless there is someone back with the little one. The baby won't be able to tell you if it's not hot enough, or worse, too hot.

As to the foggy windows, try some mother's plastic polish along with one of their power balls (the polish itself doesn't really help without the powerball).
Mothers 06208 Plastic Polish - 8 oz : Amazon.com : Automotive
Mothers 05140 PowerBall Polishing Tool : Amazon.com : Automotive

Where is your top letting air in? Is there a chance that it could be adjusted better, or is the top just worn out?

Lol I meant Sell the jeep. The baby is a boy...

I think if I can just keep the warm air in and cold air out that it will be warm enough. We have one of those baby air temp readers so I will know if it is to hot or cold. The gaps are mainly up by the doors. I still have the original top that came on her but its really worn out and missing the back windows...It looks like the new top is just too short. (only a year old) The gap is about an inch and and half or so between the door frame and the windows. (I have the half doors.) I was thinking of rigging something up out of the sealer/weatherstrip stuff that you put around the front door on a house. Think that will work?

Any chance you can post a photo of the gap?

Is it a gap between the front windshield and the window on the door? Could be that you have TJ softop door uppers on your YJ

I will be working on her in a minute. (blew a radiator hose last night) So I will get a few pictures. The gap is between the door and the back windows. I bought the top from Bestop, was told it would fit... Kinda makes me angry.

jeep window gap.jpg

Jeep window gap2.jpg

If you could find a hard top for winter, It would keep it quite a bit warmer.

can you adjust the door stricker so the door closes tighter and seal the gap? I have a gap as well in the same area, but mine it at the top of the door.

Sell the baby or move some where warmer.You can give up the Jeep! :lol:

Looks like something is not square.How are your plastic inserts where the upper window slides into the doors?Other than that can you bend the window to fit.Even new window need bent to fit properly.If all else fails your idea with the weather stripping should work.

Just like the last two posts, I had a similar problem with a gap in my door. Have you tried going to the "Bestop" site and checking for tech. help?

My doors have adjustments (slide in or out) at the hinge pins for the soft doors or the the whole steel door hinges can be adjusted.Plus, with the soft doors, I had to bend the upper part of the door a little. The soft doors also have set screws (Bushings) to rasie or low either end of the upper half. Can't see if you have the same thing? I realize that you have half steel doors, but I believe you can still adjust them to some degree.

Last edited:
I wish I could move somewhere warmer. Though I live in colorado and It's decently warm here. Just not in the winter, (to close to the mountains) Unfortunatly, the husband is military and stationed here.

I will Check when my husband gets home from work. I don't remember seeing any thing to adjust them with...But I wasn't really looking. The door fits perfectly everywhere else. Just not at the back. it's like the soft part of the doors is too short or something. Thanks for all the help though. Got a few ideas as to how to fix it.

Are you sure that it's the door that's off and not the top side of it? The way that your window is slightly wrinkled makes me think that the bottom of the top needs to be closer to the door.

This may involve drilling a new hole for the soft top hardware, but may fix your problem.

/
Are you sure that it's the door that's off and not the top side of it? The way that your window is slightly wrinkled makes me think that the bottom of the top needs to be closer to the door.

This may involve drilling a new hole for the soft top hardware, but may fix your problem.
I agree. Try on a warm afternoon in the sun, unzipping the side window from the back only as far as the upper corner. Pull the bottom out and readjust towards the front. Pull the back corner lower around toward the side and rezip the side window.

A proper thermo and proper working heater should supply more than enough heat for most of the lower 48. I've also read of someone insulating the soft top. Let me see if I could dig that one up.
Both my children grew up with the jeep. I used tiedowns on the cargo loops to secure the base of the infant carrier or booster. Some states State Police and Fire departments inspect and help correct infant seats for free. PA did.
Edit Bestop makes insulated headliners not yet for YJ but give them a call.
www.jk-forum.com/jk-write-ups-39/insulating-soft-top-98132/

Last edited:
looks like the rear window and top rear corner need to be pushed foward. Mine does this every so often but my top has seen way better days (reason it comes off March - October). When mine is streched out it does leave a small gap at the bottom of the rear window zipper use your tape there if needed. If thats the issue its an easy fix.

Unfourtunatly, whoever had her before me did one hell of a remodel on the wiring/ underdash area. I had to kinda rig the heater to work as much as it does...I knew she would be a project when I bought her (a year and 4 days ago) but I hadn't planned on having a little one so soon. I will try to stretch out the side. It should be warm tomorrow. Thank you all for the help and Ideas. I will post back if I can get it fixed ^.^

I wish I could move somewhere warmer. Though I live in colorado and It's decently warm here. Just not in the winter, (to close to the mountains) Unfortunatly, the husband is military and stationed here.

I will Check when my husband gets home from work. I don't remember seeing any thing to adjust them with...But I wasn't really looking. The door fits perfectly everywhere else. Just not at the back. it's like the soft part of the doors is too short or something. Thanks for all the help though. Got a few ideas as to how to fix it.

Las Cruces, NM. It was 93 today--9-19-12--top is off but one month per year. Then, just a bikini top for winter, or the shell of my Bestop.....

Robert

Back