I NEED HELP! What lift to get?

jfrabat

OK, so I finally convinced my wife to let me get a suspension lift. The way I got around it was to show her (actually not me, but another Jeeper I met when I was with my wife) that my springs are already sagging, with the rear ones having a slight negative arch already.

So when I showed her the price of stock springs versus lift kits (obviously, I showed her the most expensive stock springs I could find!), she agreed it was worth going for the lift instead of changing to stock and then investing to lift.

Now, as a background, I currently have 31" tires on American Racing wheels with backspacing (dont know how much, though, as these came with the Jeep), and I plan to keep the tires until they wear our. But once they do, my intention is to put on 33" tires.

My original idea was to do a SOA converion. But this is not only expensive (the kits are over $600, and then you need the SYE, new shaft, and all the other stuff that goes with such conversion), but it is also the most complicated. The 2 kits I was looking for this conversion were the Rubicon Express (http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Products.aspx?Cn=187&Pn=2006&XnPath=173,179,187&Vid=A85F0E1023910) and the Rocky Road (http://www.rocky-road.com/yjspoa.html), as they seemed the most complete.

But because of the cost and difficulty, I kind of backed out of the SOA option (even though I still think that this is the best option for offroading).

So now I am looking at spring lifts. For Spring lifts, I wat to keep as little lift as necessary to fit the 33" tires. Now, I know the 4" lift will allow for fitting of 33" tires, but will this kit require a SYE or anything other not covered by the Rubicon Express Standard Lift Kit (http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Products.aspx?Cn=187&Pn=2008&XnPath=173,179,187&Vid=A85F0E1023910)? This kit includes the brake line extensions, sway bar disconnects, T-case lowering kit (1"), and the track bar relocation bracket, so it seems it has everything needed... And according to the people at Quadratec, it should not need a SYE, but I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with this kit. I have read good reviews about RE...

The other option I am looking at is going with the RE 2.5" Standard Lift Kit, and keeping it like that while I have the 31" tires, and then doing a 1" Body Lift before going to the 33" tires. This should clear the 33" tires, while keeping the Center of Gravity lower, right? If this is a viable option, I like it a lot because the Jeep will not look weird with the 4" lift and the 31" tires (I have heard that they do), but I have read that most people that put on 2.5" lifts eventually move to 4" lifts, and I dont want to spend twice on lifts. So if the total 3.5" (2.5" spring + 1" BL) lift works for 33" I would go in that direction (I will not go higher than 33" anyway because I dont think the 4 banger will take it anyway, even with regearing; once I put the 33" tires, I would go to 4.88 gears and put the lockers in at the same time).

Oh, and one last question; are the RE Extreme Duty kits worth the extra $$$? I am looking at the standard kits at this time, but I dont know if its worth to go to the Extreme Duty option, as these are about 50% more expensive...

Sorry about the SUPER long post, but I wanted to get all the information to you so that I can get the best opinions.

Felipe

I wouldn't do the 2.5"+1" option, 33" tires barely clear with a 4" lift without rubbing the flares. And like you said, you'll eventually want a 4" and why do it twice?

If SOA is truely what you want, it can be done affordably. You don't need to buy a kit, just do your research.
4 Mopar spring perches $20
4 shocks $140
SYE $180
Shortened/balanced XJ/TJ front CV driveshaft for the rear $125
Dodge Dakota rear brakeline $20
Move the front brake hardlines lower on the frame.

$485 so far, and can be about $300 cheaper if you use a 1" transfer case drop and your stock driveshaft, instead of the SYE and CV rear driveshaft. Big deciding factor would be if you know somebody that can weld on the new spring perches for you.

Last edited:
It seems to me that with all you have posted about your needs, concerns, and how much you are willing to invest at this point you should consider a 4" Rubicon Express Standard Duty kit. I say this because you can do this one time and it has everything you need for one price. It'll clear 33's and no... it won't look stupid with 31's. With the small price difference over the 2.5 kit it is a no-brainer.

You'll have a completely new suspension under your Jeep and will be ready to hit the trails. It is a suspension that you could do completely by yourself. Take your time, use common sense, and be careful to jack safely and you will know your Jeep alot better when it is done - not to mention have the satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself.

Check out pics of Sparky-Watts' YJ. He has a 3.5" lift (BDS) with 31's. Yours would sit virtually the same as his.

I'd shop around, but Jeepin Outfitters usually has free shipping and free shocks too. Jason is a great guy to deal with as well.

Bounty,

If I were in Panama, I have a good couple of friends that have welding equipment and that are great at using them, so I would have gone in that direction. But here in Miami, I dont know many people, and none of the ones I know can weld (or have the equipment). And labor being as expensive as it is here (I mean, imagine my surprise when I had to pay almost $1,000 to cange all the fluids in my car! I know, I was stupid not to ask, but I never expected it to be more than $400 including parts, which is what I would have paid back home!), I dont want to take the risk.

Also, I am a new mechanic (I just started with this Jeep about 5 months ago!), so I preffer something that is already thought out for me; I have done some research, and a SOA is not as simple as it sounds. As for parts, I even have perches (which, by the way, if anyone is interested, I can sell you at a reasonable price, since I wont be using them), but the SYE is what turned me off; that is a bit too complicated and expensive (I was looking at Tom Wood's kits, as I prefer to have something I know will last and wont break when I do take the rig back to Panama).

Last, but not least, my springs are already sagging. As I mentioned, I dont know many people here, and I dont know any other Jeepers here in Miami (although there are plenty!). So a SOA would mean new stock springs as well as new shocks... It all keeps adding up.

TwistedCopper,

From what I have read and seen, I agree with your evaluation. I had heard that the 4" lift on 31" tires looked a little stupid, but now that you mention it, Spary-Watt's rig looks nice, so thanks for pointing that out!

Maybe I'll add the 1" BL or the TJ flares when I put in the 33" tires... That way I will avoid rubbing.

Thanks to both for your comments!

Felipe

(I mean, imagine my surprise when I had to pay almost $1,000 to cange all the fluids in my car! I know, I was stupid not to ask, but I never expected it to be more than $400 including parts, which is what I would have paid back home!)

You got taken for your money, and in an extreme way.

Yeah, I know. I learned my lesson. I just never thought that Jiffy Lube and Bridgestone Car Care Center would charge so much, and I did not ask beforehand, so it was a little difficult not to pay after it was done!

So now I do everything myself, and keep my money in my wallet!

Felipe

If you are going with a 4" lift, you shouldn't be avoiding the SYE anyway. That's a pretty tough angle for that driveshaft.

But of course, you're working with the 4 cyl drivetrain. You should be able to get away with a TC drop a lot easier than I could have. You have an extra 2 inches of drivetrain clearance to work with

So which SYE would you recommend? Something that is good enough to hit the trails, but also not so expensive...

Several places have a combo deal that includes the SYE and the driveshaft. Here is one:

http://www.performanceoffroadcenter.com/oscommerce/product_info.php?cPath=37_479&products_id=2042

I've never heard of anyone having a problem with any of the SYE kits. If you prefer to do as Bounty said and get a front XJ/TJ shaft shortened, heres the kit itself:

http://www.performanceoffroadcenter.com/oscommerce/product_info.php?cPath=37_42&products_id=153

Really, all the SYE's I've seen have been the same, with the exception of the Super Short ones. Find the best deal you can get on one and get it. If you'd prefer to get a combo that comes with a driveshaft as well, the one I posted up top is about as good of a deal as you can get.

I've installed about half a dozen of the PORC SYE's, they are good stuff. You can't hardly beat the $180 and free shipping. If you were closer, I'd install it for you. Ship your transfer case to me, have the SYE shipped to me, and I'll install the SYE for $50.

Personally, I would wait until after you do the 4" lift and then decide on the SYE.

It being a 2.5L and the fact that the RE kit comes with both the TC drop and shims to angle your rear axle I'd be willing to bet you won't need one. Why spend the money unless there is a need? See how it goes first.

Personally, I would wait until after you do the 4" lift and then decide on the SYE.

It being a 2.5L and the fact that the RE kit comes with both the TC drop and shims to angle your rear axle I'd be willing to bet you won't need one. Why spend the money unless there is a need? See how it goes first.

TC I'm sorry, but I still don't agree with you. The tcase drop is only a temporary fix to a permanent problem as far as I'm concerned. It may work, but like a boy kissing another boy, it just ain't natural as far as a Jeep is concerned.

TC I'm sorry, but I still don't agree with you. The tcase drop is only a temporary fix to a permanent problem as far as I'm concerned. It may work, but like a boy kissing another boy, it just ain't natural as far as a Jeep is concerned.

Well I had a 92 Yj with 4" of lift. It had 3.5" springs and another 1/2" via longer shackles. With the TC drop and shims the driveshaft angle was perfectly acceptable and I had zero driveline vibration.

In other words, it wasn't temporary by any means.

Now I will agree that a SYE is well worth it. It makes for a much stronger output from the TC case, and you can keep the skidplate up where it belongs, keeping the 1" clearance you'd lose with a TC drop. It's just an overall better and stronger setup.

BUT

While it is better, and stronger, it isn't always needed at 4" of lift. All I am telling him is if he is concerned with keeping a budget through lifting the Jeep, then he should wait and see if the expense is necessary.

Back