Is this a good deal for a CJ5... might be my first rig

JMaas

Been lurking around on here for a while while I was shopping around for a project jeep. I want to do a ground up rebuild of a CJ7. But I found this 79 CJ5 that this guy wants $700 for (no engine or transmission). Sounds like a decent deal without actually seeing it in person yet. Apparently it had a 350 in it previously which is what I was planning on putting in it...so as long as the conversion was done correctly that helps me out a little.

Has MT 32/10/50 on it that the guy says are in good shape.

Might drive the 1.5 hours to go look at it, but can anyone give me some advice with this picture and what to look for?

If this is in decent shape is this a good deal?

photo.jpg

That pic. is a CJ7. Good Deal? that would be your opinion that you need to decide on. if i was to be on your shoe and i'm looking for a project Jeep, i would say yes it's a good deal granted that the frame is straight and the axles are still good and little or no rust on the tub. most of the expense i think is gonna be the powertrain along with the trans. and t.case. are you willing to spend that much more money? thats up to you.

my humble opinion, as a mechanic who has been working o n jeeps for many years, chevy conversions included, is that you have a whole lot of work ahead of you on this project. i can see it going on for years. also, if you choose to put it back to the stock engine, the 350 conversion may have butchered up some parts of the rig, engine mounts, firewall, clutch points, frame, etc. save your pennies and buy a complete, stock rig, that you can easily repair with the oem parts. you will save yourself a lot of grief. john

Hey there JMaas,

Look for hard to fix rust problems. Check the entire frame front to back for rot - particularly around the spring mounts. Try to look at the inboard side of the frame rails near the gas tank using a good flashlight. Feel inside the frame where you can and see if there is heavy rust flaking. Many times the frame rails rot from the inside and don't look too bad on the outside. On the body, have a look at where the cowl joins the floor (right below where it says "JEEP". If the cowl (kick panel area) to floor joint is still solid you can easily patch the floors (if need be). Once this area rots out things get a little tricky. Check out the rear fender wells (they like to rot where they attach to the side of the Jeep). Looks like a nice project Jeep with a lot of potential. Price seems good to me but make sure it has a title if required in your state. I miss my old CJ7... Best of luck - John

Ok so I went to look at it today and here are some pics I took.

The frame is actually in really good shape. The tub isn't all that bad except the normal areas of the floor boards that usually show issues. The winshield would need to be replaced along with both front fendors. The front clip is gone also.

He doesn't have a title either.... anyone have any luck getting a new one in a situation like this. The guy said something like a "builders" title would only be $100.

Basically I would be buying the frame and hoping to re-use the tub and the axles, hood, ect and buying the rest new. He said it used to have a 350 in it but I'm not familiar enough with the engine mounting to know what was altered, ect. I plan to put a 350 in it if I buy it.

Might offer $300 and spend the next 3 years building it from scratch.

Opinions?

Attachments

• 422234676_1122081147.jpg
    422234676_1122081147.jpg
    629.8 KB · Views: 197
  • 422233914_1122081143.jpg
    422233914_1122081143.jpg
    607.8 KB · Views: 161
  • 422234019_1122081143a.jpg
    422234019_1122081143a.jpg
    630.6 KB · Views: 167
  • 422234874_1122081148.jpg
    422234874_1122081148.jpg
    561.9 KB · Views: 155
  • 422234109_1122081143b.jpg
    422234109_1122081143b.jpg
    562.4 KB · Views: 118
I think it looks like a good, big project. If you look at it again, try tapping the frame with something metallic. I may look fine, but the paint may be hiding something. My CJ7 frame was undercoated at some point and there were still weak spots. To give you and idea, I got two of my body mounts off with a sledge. I'm guessing that shouldn't have happened.

Also, getting to know that Jeep would help a TON. Like finding popular engine, transmission, and t-case swaps, axle ratios, axle hubs, brake sizes... I didn't regard this stuff when I bought mine and now I feel the pain. Of course that pain turns into knowledge. Good luck!

Back