Jeep TJ Axle Shafts in a YJ

trailjeep

I am getting ready to install Jeep TJ Dana 30 shafts in my YJ. I also have an Aussie locker going in at the same time. I plan on taking out all the vacuum lines for the CAD and making a block off plate. My Jeep uses the Vacuum switch on the firewall for the 4WD dash light. Will a Jeep TJ 4WD switch work on my transfer case or is there a better way?

Why do you need a light to tell you it's in 4wd? The transfer case lever should do that for you.

I tried a TJ switch in my YJ and it didn't work. Don't know if it's a bad switch or a voltage difference between the two setups.

Do you have the correct axle seal for installing the TJ shafts?

I will need to get the passenger side seal this weekend. I have NAPA part number 11800. I hope it is the right one.

if you NEED that light, you can wire a series of reed switchs on the T-case lever to connect the two wires that were originally on the CAD diaphram. personally it's a lot of work for a little light. Also you can just take the two wires and connect them with a 15 amp 12 volt switch. the CAD just completes the ground circuit to illuminate the light.

I got all the parts I need to do the swap including the Alloy USA TJ tube seals. I will be working on it this weekend. I got the passenger side oil seal - NAPA part number 11800. It fits the axle shaft. I hope it will fit the housing. I heard that freezing the oil seal overnight will make it easier to install.

freezer is fine. might also want to stick the axle seals inthere too, they can be tough to get seated properly. also keep an eye out for build up of junk just inside the seal body, small rocks can get in there and score the shaft body.

Back