Jeep will not start.

Jambo21

I am a new Jeep owner (82 CJ7). It was delivered on Sunday and it fired right up. Monday, the same, it fired right up. Today, Tuesday, fired right up in the morning and I drove it around and it started up after each of my stops. I went to put it in the garage ,so I could go to work, after letting it sit in the direway for a couple of hours, and nothing. It would not turn over, the battery has a charge and it sounds like it would start with a little help. Is my Jeep mad because I drove another car to work, or are there any tips you guys can give me? Oh, I talked with the previous owner and they had the same thing happened before they shipped it to me. They had it towwed and the mechanic said "just shoot a little non-chlorinated brake cleaner in the carb and it shouold fire right up!"

Is it turning over at all? If it does nothing at all spraying the carb is not going to help

Do you just get a clicking noise?If you do the solenoid is trying to engage but the starter wont line up or is frozen.

Does it crank over and not fire?Many reasons may need a tune up,fuel filter,fuel pump,carb problem,choke problem.

Need a little more info to try and help more.Hope any of that helps you.

It may be jealous of the other car.You should only drive the jeep from now on...:p

Is it possible it's just not getting enough juice? Check your connections at the battery, starter motor, solenoid, etc. for both tightness of the connection and lack of corrosion.

I figured it out! It was cranking over and not starting to answer XT Master's questions. I tuned out to be a bad fuel pump. The guy down the street from me helped me figure it out. It turns out he, his brother in law and a buddy of theirs all have and rebuilt Jeeps, all CJ7's (I believe an '81, '84 and an '87). One of the other guys (not my neighbor) had a rubbermaid tub of parts new and old that they were not using, and inside the tub was a brand new fuel pump and gasket! My neighbor GAVE the fuel pump to me and helped me install it! Easy fix once we figured out what was wrong. All of those guys are going to be a big help to me. Thank you all for replying and giving me some ideas too!

Back