Junkyard rotors

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
What do you guys think about turning junkyard rotors?

My Ford 8.8 appears to be well cared for (clean fluid, nice gears, etc). The brake pads look good (but the drum pads are toast). The rotors themselves look solid but heavily rusted.

Should I buy new rotors ($35 each) & pads ($21), or just spend $15 to have the existing rotors turned and give it a test drive?

Since these are rear brakes I'm more inclined to run the used brakes. I don't however know if you can have heavily rusted rotors turned or not.

Here are my rusty junk yard rotors

Sent from my DROID2 using the Jeepz.com app

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120214_104846.png
    ForumRunner_20120214_104846.png
    734.4 KB · Views: 554
Why cheap out? I get being on a budget but brakes on my Jeep aren't something i'd skimp on...imho.

I suppose my real question is - Is it ok to turn rusty rotors?

I tend to buy new stuff even when I don't need to, and this axle swap project has the potential to go way over budget. I don't want to cheap out, but if I can simply turn the rotors and have them be "good as new" I'd like to do that.

As long as they stay in spec it's fine. Rotors rust overnight anyways.

terry they shouldn't have any problems turning those rotors as long as the can do it to recommended specs
I've turned rotors with more rust than that in the past

The surface rust is not going to affect strength or cause any other problems, I'd have them turned down. Deep scaling rust is what you want to avoid.

as long as they are not composite rotors and are beyond specs why not. I just had a set of 78 F350 rotors turned and they sat in a junk yard for god knows how long and looked like crap. My guy called and told me they trued up nice. One rotor was siezed to the hub, took me about ten minutes of using drifts and cold chisels to get it off.

I'll grab a pic later to show you before and after.

They don't look that bad to me, I'd run 'em for sure. Like mentioned before, they'll rust overnight anyway.

P.S. If they do fail, aim for something cheap!

The surface rust shouldn't be a issue. Make sure the rust didn't get the rotors to become pitted. If there is enough material for them to surface the rotors and not still be able to see rusted spots, you will be OK. I actually drilled mine out for gas venting and it made a world of difference. It was easy for me to drill them because I own a machine shop....... Big Jeep Wave to you guys.

Back