light switch

bluejeeper

i have high beam but no low beam head lights. were is the switch? is it in the column or under the dash?
thanks ..

i tested the plugs last night and had 12.5v on the high beam and 0 on the low beam. so i think its the switch just dont know were the switch is.
thanks for any help..

You should read 0 volts on one side depending on what position the switch is in. Pulling back on the signal lever is just the actuator. There may be a linkage rod to the base of the column like the ignition has, but not sure. You may have to do a search or look it up in a Chilton manual.

this is the last thing keeping me from puting the jeep on the road .. so i looked there is a linkage rod. so at the end of the rod is that the switch that is bad?

The boxy thing at the end of the linkage rod should be the hi/low beam switch. I remember seeing that when I was under my '93 YJ the other month. Take your voltmeter to that component and see what readings you get. If it is the switch you seek, the volts should change when you pull back on the turn signal lever for hi/low beam. You may also need to trace your headlight wires to see if there is a break in the conductor. Have you checked your fuses? Good luck to you!

Side note:
I had a somewhat similar problem in the past. Had very, very dim low beams but normal hi-beams. My problem was caused by a loose connection plug AT the headlight. Make sure that connection is good/secure and not corroded.

Last edited:
Back