lights on your hood

I made my owe hood light bar and thought i would get pulled over it is a little hi but its been a year and im doing good..but if you are looking to get one make it yourself. it cost me $30 for the lights the aluminum i had sitting around cut and bent had to make a little taller for the squirters but i realy like it...NOTE NOT FOR NIGHT TIME USE thay shine off the hood and reflect on the windshild.......can be used for DRL:lol:

light.jpg

These are mounted on the hood hinges, right? Could not quite see it on the pic (not much contrast). I have a set of daylighters on hood hinges, and they DO reflect of the hood quite a bit (still, I use them at night, as they do light up the road ahead!). I used to have them on the windshield hinges, and they reflected FAAAAAAR less off the hood, but because of clearance issues with the snorkel, I had to relocate them. I just wish the YJ snorkel was like the TJ, where you can keep the windshield hinge mount!

What kind of lights are those? I bought a pair of lights that look exactly like those to go on my Eclipse when I still had it. They were like $20 at the auto parts store. They made the road easier to see but one of them went out within a month. After that I just removed them.

I don't remember the name but i picked them up a meijer $30 for 4 of them
i will look for the name.. and thay do work realy good i have them set up on a 3 way switch up is the middle 2 and down all 4 come on.

If you fabed up a piece of metal under them and paint it flat black it should stop some of the glare.It would also depend if they are long range or short range lights.Any type of mounting like that you should use long range beams.

well thanks but i like as is.. but im trying to let people know what the lights do.... and if they like it make ur own.... don't buy a $215 LIKE THIS and be disappointed

hoood.jpg

Last edited:

Nice job, not my thing.. All I fore see is hood glare being a *****.

I'll tell you this from my experience; when doing highway driving at night, I prefer to have the lights on even with the glare than off, as visibility down the road SIGNIFICANTLY increases (at least in my case). Now, mine are high-beams spot loghts, which means the glare is just the reflection of the light, as the spot is focused to the front (this would probably change if I put my fog lights up top), and I did prefer them when they were mounted on the windshield hinges, as glare was much less than now, but even now, I find the a plus for nightime driving (not particularly crazy on how they look on the hood, but I ran out of space!).

I guess I just don't get the 10 fog/spot lights to illuminate a runway thing.

I had at one point a set of KC's on my windshield and another set on the front end. In two years I never once turned on the ones on the windshield and the ones on the bumper only got turned on when night wheeling. I ended up taking the windshield ones off cause 1. I never used them 2. couldn't put the windshield down. the ones on teh bumper are going to be coming off soon for other reasons.

I know it is all preference.

To add, in my state at least, it is illegal to have lights above standard headlights illuminated, so even if my jeep was equipt, you couldn't use them on the road.

I guess I just don't get the 10 fog/spot lights to illuminate a runway thing.

I had at one point a set of KC's on my windshield and another set on the front end. In two years I never once turned on the ones on the windshield and the ones on the bumper only got turned on when night wheeling. I ended up taking the windshield ones off cause 1. I never used them 2. couldn't put the windshield down. the ones on teh bumper are going to be coming off soon for other reasons.

I know it is all preference.

To add, in my state at least, it is illegal to have lights above standard headlights illuminated, so even if my jeep was equipt, you couldn't use them on the road.

I guess your situation is different than mine in that (1) I run the bumper mounted fog lights basically all the time, as the Jeep headlights dont light up worth crap (I reduced the wattage from 100W to 50W, as 100W was too much for daily driving), and I use the high beam ones for night time driving; it is much safer to be able to see cows and horses and deer and other such animals half a mile away than it is to see them when it is too late to stop (especially considering the brakes on my Jeep!).

Also, in Panama and Costa Rica, when it rains, it RAINS! Which means during heavy rain, your visibility is cut down significantly, and here the fog lights help a ton, not only to see, but also to BE SEEN. And lastly, the law here basically states that you have to have driving lights. No restrictions on number, power or placement. So I can drive all day with them and there is no legal issues (of course, it's not morally correct to blind people with those 100W spotlights called daylighters, but you get the idea).

Felipe

i run 2 100w lights on the front bumper at night.I do turn them off when oncoming traffic to be polite.

I have fog lights, but never use em. I will probably put KC daylighters eventually on the roll bar, but am still debating that. They are still on my bug

Back