LOCKERS???

wenz78Cj5

I am going to be putting lockers on my front and rear. I plan on going with the Detroit softlocker for the rear, which is an AMC 20 (one piece). My question is, what detriot locker should I use for the front, the Trutrack or the EZ locker, it will be for a dana 30. I want my jeep to be vary offroad capable and I know I will be losing some perfomance on the road, but who cares. I have the 258 engine, and a 5 inch lift and will be running 35' Mt/r's. I really don't know the difference between the trutack and the EZ locker, so I am asking you guys. Thank you.

P.S. I just got back from the Big Bear forest fest put on here in So. Cal., it was awesome. I didn't run my jeep, but road with my uncle. His jeep kicks a$$. He has an 86' CJ-7, with a chevy Caprice V8 engine, ford 9' rear end, dana 30 front, both locked, and 35' meats. He came home with only minor body damage, but had a lot of fun.

Thanks
-wenz

on the front if you dont go full detroit, either geta lockright or a new locker that has had good things said about it on pirate, and that is a aussie locker www.offroadlocker.com that they are a great price

I wouldnt go a detroit in the front.
A full locked front end reduses your turn radius off road due to the fact that both are turning at the same time and speed. A ARB will allow you to dis-engage the front to make those tight turns and re-engage from the cabin. but thats my 2 cents

I was thinking about the ABR lockers, but I couldn't afford it, and have seen them have endless problems. But i checked out the Aussie locker, although not sure yet if it would be better than a detroit trutrac, so if anyone has either lockers, let me know what you think.
thanks
-wenz

OX OX OX OX OX OX OX OX OX OX OX

Just my .02

I run a lincoln locker in the front, so it's always locked and isn't much trouble turning offroad, unless it's really tight, then I disconnect the pass. side axle shaft from inside the cab. A CJ owner just has to unlock one hub, but most can be done completely locked. Tough if you don't have power steering.

try to find em try to find em try to find em try to find em try to find em

EZ lockers are crap from all accounts, if your goin lunchbox go lock right or aussie

SOA conversion questions?

How is the OX's durability, I have heard that the ones that can be UN-LOCKED, have problems witht he cable breaking. but it would be nice to be able to unlock, considering I don't have power steering. Any Ideas?

no power steering..... i wouldnt lock the front w/o some type of p/s other than armstrong.... go p/s then locker....

if you can get one i would say go for the ox, since no p/s in theory they seem to be more reliable than an arb

Yup go with a OX OX OX OX OX OX OX OX OX OX OX OX ....Just my
$.02 .....Good luck ...wenz78Cj5,

go with the aussie. Full lockers and 35's will destroy a 30 especially if your making a lot of tight turns with big lug tires.

I rather change a cable than a compressor.

Aussie electric lockers.....Hmmmm New locker on the market who is going to be the first and maybe the last brave soul to try them out ???? :) :p :)

Well, I just thought I would let everyone know what I decided to do. First of all, thank you all for giving me input.
So I got a package deal from Randy's Ring and Pinion,
Dana 30 Trutac locker
AMC 20 Detriot locker
Amc20 One-piece axle kit, made by Yukon
4.56 gears by Yukon,
overhaul kit
and all the axle bearings needed to install,
It ran me about $1500.
This is all going into a widetrac dana 30 and amc 20.
Now I need to save up again to put it all in:}
This is going to be on a 78 Cj5, then I am getting 35' MT/R's. Any suggestions on how much they should cost? With the cheap black rims included?
Thank you
wenz

i hate to tell you this, but randys yukon line is not the highest quality of products... gears are made in china, and ive heard the 1pce shafts are welded not forged....

Back