Manual Transmission (NV3550) slips out of 5th when there is no load

Rick Jefferson

Hi All,
I think that im looking at either rebuilding the trans or getting a junkyard one. Just bought this jeep. 2003 Rubicon. It has 109000. its a bit rough going into 2nd and grinds if not handled with extreme care. going into 3rd catches some ( but no grinding). Noticed that when crusing in 5th and there is no load on the trans (either accelerating or holding it back) it just slips into neutral.

I drained the trans as soon as i got it and replaced the fluid with syncromesh. the magnetic plug had a lot of filings (no chunks) and i think the trans was low on fluid.

I was considering rebuilding the trans. I had a '97 jk that i had the trans rebuild on around the same mileage and it shifted great for the next 60k and was still going strong when i sold it. My mechanic told me that the jumping out of 5th was probably due to a warped shaft and when they rebuild them, they don't necessarily replace that part. He suggested im better off with a used trans out of a junker that has not been messed with. Im finding plenty of these online from different junk yards, all around 1K give or take depending on mileage. I'm not sure how you know that the used transmission they send you from a salvage yard is actually the one they quoted you for mileage.

Anyone have any thoughts or opinions?

Check your local salvage yards for prices and stock. In Denver any transmission can be pulled for a 100 bucks in some of the yards. BUT it may be hit or miss on both inventory and durability/condition.

Bacon

If you never changed the fluid before it is likely the syncros need Bo be replaced. I believe the stock fluid actually pit the syncros.

Idont know if fluid was ever changed before. i know it was low when i drained it. i did a lot of research here as to what to replace it with. ended up using syncromesh because thats what i could find with out going to the dealer. im thinking of flushing it with Kero (saw that on a thread here) and see if that makes any difference before i replace the trans.

Ive checked the local junk yards and these seem to be rare. one just got one in but the odometer has over 200k. not sure i want to chance 800 bucks on a trans that i have no idea how many miles are on it or if it worked correctly. I filled out a form looking for transmissions on the internet and got 15 places emailing me back and calling me. they ranged in price from 800 to 1200 depending on how many miles were on the vehicle it was pulled out of. im a bit suspicious that if i pay 1000 for a trans that supposedly has 65k on it or 1100 for one with 50 k that im actually going to get that transmission. there is no way to know, that im aware of, how many miles are on the trans. so they can tell me it has 50k and send me one out of a vehicle with 120k. cleaned up ill never know right?

Back