Moab days 1-5

Utah_jeepster

Super Moderator
Moab
Days 1-5

Well Thursday morning was bright and promising to be warm. We left the Salt Lake Valley and spent 5 hours on the road till we turned off I-70 onto 191 and could see the first slick rock hills on Dungeon hills. 30 miles later we passed the entrance into Arches National park and passed over the Colorado River and into the town of Moab.
With the town of Moab filled for Labor day we snaked our way through traffic to Kane Creek Road and turned west towards the Colorado River again. On a shelf road we found our camp site ( and yes the term Kamp Krusty does apply).

In no time we had our camp set and decided to do some afternoon wheel-in.
We drove down a class 2 road to the where the trail splits one heading to Kane Creek trail and the other towards Hurrah pass and Chicken Corners and Lockhart Basin.
This is far as we went and decided to call it a day.

Friday morning we got an early start and did the Chicken Corners trail. The route took us through Hurrah pass and down along a shelf road above the Colorado River. The class 2 trail had some obstacles along the way so we turned it into a class 3 route.
Back tracking the trail we passed Lockhart Basin route and stopped at the top of Hurrah pass for lunch. After lunch we came to Kane Creek trail head and turned up this trail.
This trail wasted no time and we had to work our suspension to pass several washed out wash crossings. After 17.5 miles we came to the first obstacle Rocky Road.
With a four foot tall bolder standing across this shelf road with no by-pass I crept up to it and let my front end climb it and tried the Moab Bump, I spun the rock out from under my rear end and chirped the rear tires till I started sliding side ways towards the edge (200-300 foot fall into Kane Creek). Backing down and building a rock ramp I crawled right up this obstacle. Tim taking advantage of my hard work slipped right up with no problems. The second obstacle was a 25 foot narrow wall with small steps. This wall was about 50 degrees and required a slight jog to the right after you start on the left side. Several Moab hops later we found 191 again and drove 9 hours and only put 35 miles on our Jeeps.

Saturday we trailed over to Potash road and did the same trail but from the eastern side of the Colorado river stopping along the way to snap a few pics of where we were. We continued up the road where it turned into Shaffer trail inside the Canyon lands National park. This trail climbs 2100 feet to the top of Shaffer canyon along a switch back road.
10$ later we left the park and made our way back to camp.
After Dinner I went with a neighboring camp and did Fins and Things at night, stopping at the baby Lions back obstacle to dive it both ways.

The next Morning I trailed with our neighbors onto Gemini Bridges trail but turned off onto Golden Bar Rim trail.
This trail got right down to business with several ledges that you had to do the Moab Bump to get up. The first major obstacle is 10 foot drop down a slick rock that puts your ride close to a front roll over. After another 5 miles of 4-5 foot shelves either going up or down we made it onto the Golden Spike trail. Here the trail turns into mostly slick rock and you immediately encounter the first obstacle “Double whammy”.
The double Whammy is two set of 5 foot shelves stacked on top of each other. As your coming down it is not so tough since gravity is helping you along the way. But going up sucks since as your rear tires are climbing the first shelve the front is starting to climb the second. The waste land (a small spot near it with broken axles, u-joints, and drive lines) tells of the awesome toll this obstacle has on the jeeps and other 4x4’s. Once past this you face a few other named spots with names like the body snatcher, the water falls ect. ect.
The blacken oil stains on all these obstacles are a good sign that your not in Disney land here.
We finally made it to the Golden Crack the object of our 4.5 hour drive. The crack is a water split in one solid face of slick rock and at some parts is nearly 14 feet deep and over 4 foot wide. We had a nice lunch watching a mixed jeep group attempt this obstacle the best part was watching a ford truck do it at its widest point and making it clean! The hardest part is not breaking a tie rod or a track bar since you take this at a 30 degree angle to the crack, just let the front turn it self and go slow! Your spotter is your friend since at one point you only have two wheels on the ground as you tip to the other set of two to complete this. Yes as an idiot I went through it…both ways since we weren’t going to do Poison Spider Mesa (roughly a 13-16 hour trip). Our Cherokee broke his track arm in half on his trip back through.
The track arm is what connects his steering linkage to his frame. (We pulled the arm off and attached three ratcheting type of straps) yes this really worked because he drove himself out through all of the said obstacles.
With a hurt Cherokee it took us over 5+ hours to make it back to the starting point.
A little over 9 hours to only travel 22+ miles.
With all the bumps and bruises that we took over the last 4 days we made the return trip home a day early. I had placed a beauty mark on my bumper and gas tank plate and think I threw some counter balance weights off my front tires since I now have a small high speed wobble coming out of my front end.
All in all a pleasant trip down to the wilds of Moab.

P.S. Pictures will follow this soon…darn photographers are slow as molasses.

P.S.S. The Moab hop is a trick that you place your front wheels onto the top of the shelve, ledge and slide to with-in 1 foot or so and then give it about 2000 RPM's woth of gas and maintain the foot pressure as your rear end hits it and chirps it way up. Yes I know this sounds scarry but try being in the darn Jeep while doing this....lol!

Wow,sounds like you guys had an action packed trip!Cant wait to see the pics. :) Sully

Well still no pics yet.. going to get a lawer soon and start court action..lol
Well I cleaned up ole Hollows eve (2 friggin hours at the car wash) .lol
And took her down to my local tire man for a tire balance and rotation. Both of my front rims now have an 1/8 (.125) inch whobble just a bit of egg shaped here / still with in specs and had them add a few tons of lead to get them to run true at speed.
A quick trip to my friends Auto shop and 30$'s later I had my front end alighned again and Hollows eve was a happy little Jeep again. (I love it when she does the 35' / 55 MPH purr)
I did find that my Tera-Flex slip yoke eleiminator seal is a special order part and had one placed (9.00$) on order to store in my jeepin box. But my rear out-put leak (only at 50 degrees+ angle) was not my rear seal... but most SYE kits dont run a O-Ring on the spline out-put shaft and under high angle accents you can drip a bit of ATF fluid from the yoke section. The Boys at Tera-Flex did me a number after I spent an hour down there telling them of my Moab trip.
They lifted Hollows eve up on the lift and marked up my rear drive line with yellow paint markers and removed the drive line. Marking the rear yoke and the spline for correct alignment and loosened the yoke nut and removed it. With a clean rag they cleaned the spline and put a small dab of Silicone sealant onto the shaft and inner splines on the yoke ( very small amount onto both) and put everything back together.
This is the cure I was told on all SYE's if you ever get a bit of fluid comming out of your yoke at steep inclines.
A few tisks that I wasnt advertizing Tera-flex on my Jeep and a hand full of stickers with dire threats if I didnt put them on, I was shooed out the door...no charge. Gowd I love this company

Utah, slap the photographer and tell him to get his sh#t together, I wanna see the pics and I am very impatient right now!!!!! :twisted:

Just kidding, dude sounded like a blast! Like I always say, I gotta whhel the west side of the country!

Johnny

Great post, Utah!

Thanks for sharing.

BTW -- what ever happened with Generalissimo Tim? Since you didn't mention him in your post-trip report, I am wondering if his carcass is moldering in a shallow grave?

:wink:

Regards,

Gadget

Ok since you asked I guess I will tell the rest of the story here.
First off I am insane. I was told this repetely that weekend. It seems that General Tim is a little soft about his Jeep.
First let me tell you what the general drives...its a 97 TJ with 2.5l and a 5 speed. He has a 4 inch lift (short arm), and a 1 inch body lift sitting on top of 33's. He has diamond plate on the sides and tail end, four KC day lighters and the ultimate set up for on-board air ( Kenworth air lines with two disconects at each end at the frame rails) minus the compressor.
He is still open in the diff's.
Now Tim has served our country for 20 years and served over in Kuwait.
The man has seen combat, drove Humvee's across the kuwait desert, but has lost his nerve in the 4 wheeling department.
Like I said the first trail was Chicken corners...its a bloody "2"!. I was able to make it a 3.5 by finding the hardest way in and out of washes and rock jumping.
The trip through Kane creek was too much for our General. The two major obstacles the 3rd picture and the 5th dont really show you the current condition. The first obstacle is now 4.5 feet exposed rock and the side is gone making you having to Moab hop over this rock. After that you drive on a very narrow shelf rode and drop into Kane creek again and face a 30 foor wall that is steped and is bare rock now.
After this trail Tim said no way... the self road scared him and the 4+( what I rated them) obstacles was too much for him. So the next day we did Shaffer trail into Canyonlands National part. The road
image-missing.png
climbs the canyon about 2100 feet in little switch backs. This made Tim and his spotter Pat un-easy.
There was no way they were going to do this trail backwards to avoid paying the 10$ park fee.
Needless to say when we got back to camp the pep's next to us was going to do a night run to Fins and things
Tim and Pat declined to go and I went with them. We got lost ( lost the painted dino pics, trail markers) at least a dozen times and all had to jump out of our jeeps looking for the painted trail markers. Laughing and throwing insults at Tammers (trail leader) for loosing his way.
The next day Tim and Pat did Pritchett Arch trail (1.5) I went with Tammers and his group and did the Gold bar Rim and The Golden Spike trails.
The next day we left one day early and came home.
It took me a little over two hours to clean my Jeep good enough for me. Tim has his in peices still and is pulling the dash to clean the air vents as well.

Back