need a little help

Tink

RE: Re: grr-rah

I have a 94 wrangler and i need so (low cost) tips on how to gain horse power,and mpg.
Thanks for your time,
Tink in Oklahoma

Hey, Tink, Welcome to Jeepz!! There are a few things you can do to increase HP and mileage. Do you have the 6 or 4 cylinder engine? One thing that's free that I did to increase my mileage from 14 to 20 was removing the air restrictor tube in the intake. Here's a link for the directions: http://members.fortunecity.com/jeepinjay/id10.htm . After that, increases become more costly. My next mod will be an electric fan, which depending on the type, could get you between 7 and 20% more HP, and a good boost in mpg. Then there are other methods such as different intakes, headers, exhausts, etc. Those two alone will help a lot. Do you have the 15 or 20 gal gas tank? Here's another little "freebie" to make your 15 gal tank a 20 gal tank. It took me around an hour to do it, this is one of the easier ways where you don't actually have to drop the tank: http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/fuel/15to20gal/ .

Hope these helped you. If you have anymore questions, this is the place to ask, the guys and gals around here are the best. And again, Welcome to Jeepz!!!

Welcome abourd tink!
Depends what you cosider low cost for mods!

Sparky's restricted removal is a great way to gain a HP or 2.. as well as the gas tank trick! Also here are a couple of ideas with my guess-tamated cost assuming you supply all the labor and not including shipping!

K&N air filter $40
Flowmaster muffler $50
better spark plugs (platnum +4's) $25
8mm plug wires $40
performance cap and rotor $50
TB spacer $70
Home made cold air intake mine cost me about $50 to make and that includes the filter price
Larger bore TB $200

New gear oil and syncromesh in the transmission has proven to supply a little power through the decrease in parasitic friction along the drivetrain..

A general tune-up will give back some power, and if it is hi-milage, some of the sensors could probably use some replacing O2 sensor for example.

Welcome to jeepz.

Synthetic in the differentials will help with mpg. You can also put in a Ford Taurus electric fan, make sure it's from early '90s 3.8L, got mine for $10 at the local junkyard.

Thanks for the replies, fixing to go try them. I have the 4 banger, 14 gal tank. Oh and I am not big on car lingo im new at this. What is a TB spacer and bore TB?
Thanks,
Tink

TB stands for throttle body. This is what controls how much air enters your engine. As you press the gas pedal, the throttle opens, letting more air in, and then your computer adds more fuel to kep the mix right. If you bore out your throttle body, you are allowing more air to enter your engine, therefore, more fuel, therefore, more power! A throttle body spacer is another cheap mod that many will tell you is worthless. You mount this between your throttle body and intake manifold, so you are increasing the space between the two. I could be worng on this, but I think this creates a larger vacuum effect so your engine can suck in more air. Some spacers have channels cut in them that gives the air coming in a spin, creating better fuel atomization, meaning the gas is better mixed with the air, therefore more power! I don't think throttle body spacers do much good. I have never used one, but many have told me that they are not worth the money.

XJ Stalling

Welcome to Jeepz!
You can start with a K&N filter and also removing the air restrictor. You can get a K&N filter that will fit in the air box. It's cheaper then the cone version. Those are easy to do and will get you started. The tank 15 to 20 gal. is also a good one to do. Good luck with your mods.

This may be a first

What helped me was changing my plugs, plug wires, distributer, air filter, fuel filters, fuel lines and the fuel pump. You might want to change your catalytic converter. Mine was all screwed up, holes , mud, dirt, water, you name it, it was there somewhere. Changed my oil while I was at it. After I did these things my jeep ran like a top. It still does, and its got lots of miles clocked. I hope this helps.

Listen to Sully. You don't want to build a mansion on top of a cracked foundation. Make sure it's running right and replace all the wear items before you start trying to make additional power.

A free flowing exhaust is almost always the best bang for the buck starter mod, plus it makes it sound better. A good exhaust doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg. Piece your own header/tubing/muffler combo together and you can save alot of money.

Back